Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS 8930 SE, Exhaust Fan and PSU Upgrade

@jnno     I have build a new computer.

post some photos of that new computer build in the 'new computer build' thread linked below

jnno's new computer build 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

@Dell630i :

@jnno     I have build a new computer.

post some photos of that new computer build in the 'new computer build' thread linked below

jnno's new computer build 

What an amazing move of funneling posts there. 🤣

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Yea, but the title of the link is killing me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I am a relative novice.  I had purchased a Seasonic 850Focus+ PSU and was getting ready to install when I fortunately stumbled upon this thread.  I want to definitely add the top exhaust fan and figured I might as well add the two others as well.  I noticed my machine top fan exhaust would get hot and put an external fan to try and assist.  Anyway, question is pretty simple.  @Dell630i you mentioned the "SATA fan splitter" but I am not sure which to buy or if it is part of the modular bundles that came with the PSU.  When I searched for those I came up with connections I don't think will work. I don't have the fans yet but was hoping to order everything so I wouldn't end up needing "that one thing".  

My system is very similar to yours-- actually almost identical.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@Gooberz   but I am not sure which to buy or if it is part of the modular bundles that came with the PSU

Several SATA power cables will be included with your Seasonic fully modular PSU. In addition to those, you will need something similar to the link below, which will connect to the aforementioned SATA power cables, and to your front fans.

SATA Fan Splitter 

Remember to get some non-conductive thermal paste to reinstall your blower fan/heatsink, which will need to be removed to access the CPU power connector and fan headers.

Recall you will also need one of these  SATA 15-pin to SATA 6-pin slimeline adapter for the optical drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Also, check out dell603i's new and improved computer build Here  and click subscribe to get progress updates. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Is there start up error if the optical drive isnt connected? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi,

where I can find the Aurora R5 120mm top exhaust fan bracket ?  I looked around without succes.

Many Thanks

Norm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@MaxTrains   where I can find the Aurora R5 120mm top exhaust fan bracket ? I looked around without succes.

Just keep searching online . . . they are getting more rare and expensive as many users complete this fan modification. I can post links today, but there is no guarantee the bracket will be available at a later date.

The Big Auction Site 

A Fruit Vendor 

Just make certain your purchase includes the bracket . . . then throw the fan away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Dell620i and others.  I will be adding a new top fan and bottom front fans today or tomorrow.  I finally have the Nocutua fans and mounts.  I have one question I need help with.  My new fans are with the 3 prong plugs.  I know the top fan plug will just go where the old fan came off using the 3 pins to the right.

Where are you plugging the bottom fan in?  I have looked at all the pics but can't really tell where it is actually plugging in.Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos