Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2020 20:00

XPS 8930 SE Screw in the Case Opening Handle in Back

Does anyone know what size the security screw is supposed to be for the case opening handle in the back of the XPS 8930? I've seen that some come with one, and others don't. There is a place for one on my PC, but it didn't ship with the screw. I believe putting this screw in might alleviate some of my noise issues, after much testing last night with the side panel off and on. I was able to stop many of the sound issues by pushing on the opening handle just slightly. If there screw was there, I believe it might help. I need to know the exact size so I can pick one up at the hardware store. Any help would be appreciated.

258 Posts

April 1st, 2020 04:00

@SevL 

The screw is #6-32xL7-12.  This is in the service manual on Dell.com... you should download your system docs for ready reference.

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 31st, 2020 21:00

@SevL   I need to know the exact size so I can pick one up at the hardware store. Any help would be appreciated.

If you were to post a photo we might know the exact screw to which you are referring.

This is what a photo looks like for Option 2 (click photo to embiggen)

03.JPG

49 Posts

March 31st, 2020 21:00

sidepanel-releaselatch.jpg

The black latch in the back being pulled out to release the side panel. Some I've seen have a security screw in them that has to be removed to pull that latch out. Mine did not have one, which supposedly some do, some don't. I believe putting one there may help. If you could tell me the size, I could get one locally to put in there to secure the latch better to the case.

Option 2, I'm not ready to do that yet!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 31st, 2020 22:00

@SevL   If you could tell me the size, I could get one locally to put in there to secure the latch better to the case.

I can't see you photo until mod approved (just like the one below). However, I believe that handle latch is configured for a 'security cable lock', so no one will steal your precious Dell computer.

Option 2, I'm not ready to do that yet!

just kidding

image.png

258 Posts

April 1st, 2020 07:00

@Anonymous 

However, I believe that handle latch is configured for a 'security cable lock', so no one will steal your precious Dell computer.

It is and it works.  I'm going to cable mine to my desk (an immovable object) once I move it into place, for just a scrunch more difficulty for anyone who breaks in.  I wouldn't bother but I have the cable lock leftover from a previous application, so why not.

GK

49 Posts

April 1st, 2020 09:00

Thanks for the info, I'll check into it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 1st, 2020 11:00

If PC is under warranty, you could contact Dell Tech Support and ask that they send you a screw if it was missing from Day 1. 

49 Posts

April 6th, 2020 10:00

I ordered the screw Friday, it should be here in a few days. I went through the technical docs with the online support, and we both seen that there is supposed to be a screw there, at least according to the docs, which say remove the screw then pull the latch to open the side panel. Hopefully that will stop some of the vibration issues I'm having with the back handle occasionally. Usually I just pull it a little and push it back in, and the noise goes away... for awhile. The screw should keep it more solid at that point. I've been trying for weeks to narrow down the vibration and hum issues with this PC, and this seems to be the point where it happens. We'll see though....

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 6th, 2020 12:00

@SevL  - My XPS 8930 has a screw in the case release and I never hear a sound from there.

Post back and let us know if it solves your problem...

49 Posts

April 7th, 2020 20:00

RoHe, the problem was not solved with the screw. They sent me four replacement screws, very small, however, the one I used did not seem to thread in at all, as if it was too small or there was no threading in the hole. The screw does fit in the hole, however, just will not thread. So, either the screw is the wrong size, or they eliminated the threading on these side panel release handles now. Maybe that's why it didn't come with one to begin with.

Either way, upon working back there, I noticed the buzz continued even with the side panel off, and with the handle pulled away from the case. Maybe I was wrong again.... I pushed on the power cable going to the power supply, and the buzzing stopped. I was thinking then must be inside the power supply. However, I tried loosening the mounting screws in the back of the case that go to the power supply, and the buzz stopped, even when pushing on the power cable again. I retightened them, and still no buzz, even when pushing on the power cable again. I was relieved it might just be a mounting issue, and hopefully not the power supply. If it were the supply, I could get a replacement, but I might have issues installing it, as this is a new design compared to my old Inspiron 530 (that was easy to replace a power supply on). I would probably have to make note of every single plug in on the mobo, and drives. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 8th, 2020 11:00

Sounds like you got the noise isolated...

Got my XPS 8930 SE at end of Nov'19 and it came with a screw in that release handle. Sounds like they could have sent you the wrong size.

GKDesign posted the right screw size above, based on the list in the XPS 8930 service manual, assuming the manual is correct...

49 Posts

April 13th, 2020 15:00

It might be the screws were wrong size, not sure. I'm ordering a replacement side panel too, however, as this seems to be vibrating. I'll see how that goes with that. The tightening of the mount screws seemed to only work for awhile. The panel was vibrating again, so I'm just going to replace it from the warranty and see. I'm thinking maybe the screw wouldn't have helped anyway, even though I thought that was the culprit. A lot of trial and error, but keeps coming back to that side panel, which I know others on here have had issues with also. Maybe the replacement will fit better than the original one that came with it.

49 Posts

April 13th, 2020 15:00

Btw, yours isn't much older than mine, got mine in March, maybe this year they aren't putting in the security screw anymore on the handle not sure. We'll see how the side panel replacement goes.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 13th, 2020 16:00

Well, it's possible they don't install a screw in that lock handle any more. But that would be surprising. How much could one screw actually cost, when they probably buy them by the 1000s, and how much extra time does it take to install that screw at the factory...?

I wonder if the threads inside the hole somehow got stripped and now the screw just won't tighten...?

No Events found!