Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2018 15:00

XPS 8930 SE, i7 8700K, BIOS 1.0.10 won't start

Anyone having issues with their 8930 SE XPS with it not starting or if left to 'sleep' it will not start? I suspect it has to do with my DP connection to the monitor as the system when restarting occasionally will not connect to the monitor and thus hangs the system. A DVI connection is what I have been using to upgrade the BIOS or the BIOS will hang with just the DP connection. It happened with version 1.0.8, 1.0.9 and the latest version 1.0.10. I want to upgrade the video card to a Nvidia P4000 but hesitant if the system cannot handle DP connections. Any advice? Dell?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 29th, 2018 06:00

* What video card?
* What video card driver version?

I do not use any sleep, hibernate, or a screensaver on any of my Dell computers running Windows 10 (Alienware Area 51-R2, Latitude 5480, Studio 1747). The only powersave option I use is the setting to turn the laptop LCD or external monitor off after 5 minutes. For all of my laptops, I use the power AC adapter connected all of the time. At the end of the work day, I save my data and close all running applications. I then turn the computers and monitors off. This is how I have my setup for Windows 10 power management. Try these settings and do some restarts. Does it always restart correctly?

* Press Windows Key + R
* Type devmgmt.msc
* Click OK
* Open Universal Serial Bus controllers
* Right click each/every USB device
* Click Properties
* If listed, click the Power Management tab
* Remove the check from, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
* Click OK
* Open Network adapters
* Right click the Wireless device
* Click Properties
* Click Power Management tab
* Remove all checks
* Close the Device Manager

* Press Windows Key + X
* Click Power Options
* Choose High performance (If you do not see it, click the down arrow and then choose High performance)
* To the right, click Change plan settings
Turn off the display = 5 minute
Put the computer to sleep = Never
* Click "Change advanced power settings"
* Open USB settings
* USB selective suspend setting = Disabled
* Open PCI Express, Link State Power Management = Off
* Click Apply- OK
* Click Save changes
* Close all open boxes

May 30th, 2018 02:00

Chris,

What video card?
What video card driver version?

I changed the settings. Thank you.

The system was ordered with the Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB and the driver is 397.93  which I believe is the latest version. 

Bryan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 30th, 2018 06:00

"I changed the settings"
OK. Test the system and see how it operates using those changes.

June 5th, 2018 05:00

Chris, 

The settings have made a big difference! I have two issues and the first one is not a concern. 

1) I do not 'sleep' the computer but allow the monitor to automatically turn off after 5 minutes of non-use (as you recommended). When putting the system in sleep mode it will not wake. But the current changes to the configuration have helped limit the hangs that would happen. Perfect!

2) Occasionally, when I push the start button (to start from cold boot) the system begins to startup BUT then it will hang at the DELL bios splash screen. I've started a habit of now hitting the keys ctrl-alt-del and the system then starts without any issue. Perhaps the M.2 drive is not starting fast enough with the bios to kick into the OS startup sequence?

Have you seen this issue #2?

Bryan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 5th, 2018 11:00

I have not seen #2. Good workaround.

July 1st, 2018 13:00

I have an 8930 and have had problems ater the update to 1.0.10 as well. Actually got repeated "boot failure on device" and couldn't get to boot at all. Checked bios settings, ran diagnostics (everything passed), and eventually turned off secure boot (went to legacy) and it booted right up. Think there may be a glitch in there somewhere.

1 Message

March 3rd, 2022 15:00

Turned off secure boot and it booted right up. Thanks for the community solving this past persistent problem. I learned if you google enough you can solve anything on the shoulders of giants!

No Events found!