Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

11 Posts

April 7th, 2019 20:00

XPS 8930 SE, remove HDD, add second SSD?

My XPS 8930 SE currently has both an SSD (500 GB) and an HDD (2 TB).  It also has a Blu Ray burner.

I am wondering if it is possible to swap the HDD out for another SSD (probably 1 TB), for both performance and noise improvements.

Would the system support this?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 7th, 2019 21:00

Sure.

But can't you just install it and make it drive E: or F: ?

11 Posts

April 8th, 2019 04:00

Yes, for sure.  But it's also to reduce the noise a little bit, I don't want to hear the HDD as it idles.

I just wanted to make sure it could be done.

732 Posts

April 8th, 2019 07:00

@ES7 wrote:

Yes, for sure.  But it's also to reduce the noise a little bit, I don't want to hear the HDD as it idles.

I just wanted to make sure it could be done.

So in other words you don't want any spinning drives in your PC, right?

11 Posts

May 1st, 2019 19:00

Let me also ask this.  If I simply disconnect the HDD (just to see how much noise/heat reduction there is), will my PC still run OK?

I'm asking because I'm not sure how the 2 drives are configured to work in sync with each other.

Can I just open the case and unplug the HDD?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 03:00

@ES7 wrote:

Let me also ask this.  If I simply disconnect the HDD (just to see how much noise/heat reduction there is), will my PC still run OK?

I'm asking because I'm not sure how the 2 drives are configured to work in sync with each other.

Can I just open the case and unplug the HDD?

I would first run Disk Management to understand how the 2 drives are configured; to make sure the SSD is the boot drive, the drive configured with the OS partition. You should also run Intel Rapid Storage Technology to make sure that the SSD is not caching the HDD. If the SSD has the OS partition, and is not caching the HDD, then you can disconnection the SATA data cable and the power cable to the HDD to run your test.

11 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 05:00

OK, I am looking at "Manage Disk" in Intel Rapid Store for my SSD, I don't see anything there about caching. 

However, the HDD says "Disk data cache: enabled".  Is that what I'm looking for?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2019 06:00

@ES7 wrote:

OK, I am looking at "Manage Disk" in Intel Rapid Store for my SSD, I don't see anything there about caching. 

However, the HDD says "Disk data cache: enabled".  Is that what I'm looking for?

No, Disk data cache: Enabled is normal, mine says that and my HDD is not being cached by the SSD. I am not positive but I believe the Status tab would show if your SSD is caching the HDD. Also I think you will see something on the Manage tab if you select the SSD under Storage System View on the right.  If Disk Management shows the OS partition is on the SSD I think you are good to disconnect the HDD,

No Events found!