Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

11 Posts

January 25th, 2019 00:00

XPS 8930 SE, storage HD model, RAID setup

Hi, I have a refurbished XPS 8930 Special Edition on the way. It's a pretty new model, with i7 9700, and 500GB M.2 HD plus 2TB 7200RPM storage HD. 

- Does anyone have one or know what types of HD generally would come in this for the 2TB storage drive?

I want to purchase a second 2TB drive so my storage drives can be in a RAID 1 setup. I"ve generally bought duplicate pairs of drives for RAID, though I'm guessing this isn't 100% mandatory?!? Just wanted to get something ordered so it can get here about the same time, and want the best compatibility & performance.

- And will I need any additional connectors or hardware for the second internal SATA drive? What if I wanted to add a 3rd SATA HD temporarily to transfer my old data to the new RAID efficiently once setup?

- Any tips or instructions on setting up the RAID 1 on this computer would be welcomed!

I haven't had a name-brand computer for many years (custom-built my current computer 8-10 years ago, still running strong) so not sure of the limitations to expect...

THANKS!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 25th, 2019 04:00

If you know the Service Tag for the computer you could go to www.dell.com/support and look up System configuration / Original configuration. That should give you a part number for the HDD. If you search using the part number you will likely find the manufacturer's part number. In most cases, it is likely to be a Seagate drive, but Dell does use other brands.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2019 12:00

Do you know this motherboard will support RAID1 on your two storage HDDs...?

11 Posts

January 28th, 2019 00:00

Hi, thanks for the replies. I don't see anything like a Service Tag number that I can tell. When I check the item details, I see this:

Item #: KJK14
Details: Module,Hard Drive,2T,S3,7.2K,#2,GRDABP2

I tried searching for a couple of those numbers, but it was unclear how accurate results were. Are any of those numbers specific enough to search, or are they generic part numbers?

And I certainly HOPE this computer can do at least a basic RAID 1! My 10+ year-old computer has no problems with this using the Intel Rapid Storage Tech. I saw this article which seems to indicate it should be available. This is a pretty new & high-performance desktop, so would be sad if not possible. Would probably return and build my own.

- Anyone have specific experience setting up a RAID 1 in a 8930 SE?

- Any ideas if I'll need any cables, connectors, etc. (especially to allow for 3 internal SATA HDs)?

Thanks again!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 28th, 2019 04:00

In the original configuration listing if you had clicked on the arrowhead to the left of the "KJK14" I think it would have revealed the part number of "NYR3N". A search of that part number would show it is a Seagate ST2000Dm001 hard drive.

I have no experience with RAID setup but I saw the same article.

The only cables you need are SATA III data cables. A right angle on one end would help because the mounting location on the bottom of the case puts the connector close to the side panel and a straight connector may interfere with closing the side panel. There should be enough SATA power connectors.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 28th, 2019 10:00

I'm not saying RAID isn't available on the XPS 8930. But RAID is typically used for the boot drive and a secondary drive, not for two secondary drives, as you're proposing.

And if you set BIOS to RAID, that's likely going to require the boot hard drive be part of the RAID array (and reinstallation of Windows).

I don't know if what you're proposing can/can't be done. If it were me, I'd hold off on buying another internal hard drive, unless you're sure that RAID can work the way you want.

You might want to look into possibility of using an external USB hard drive and imaging software that can be set to schedule an automatic image of the internal secondary drive on the external drive.

I'll ping my Dell tech contact to see if he can add anything to this discussion...

10 Posts

January 28th, 2019 11:00

The spare power cables are already there. They are tucked away in the PSU cage. You just need to carefully pull them out. Should be 2 spare connectors to cover the 2 hard drive bays. The SATA data cables, as said elsewhere you have to buy those as they're not included. Get ones with a right angle connector at one end.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 28th, 2019 16:00

OK, so here's the scoop...

You probably don't want a RAID array. You probably want a "mirrored volume" for data on the 1st internal data hard drive to be stored on the 2nd internal data hard drive. 

The 2nd drive should be at least the same size as the original (a larger 2nd drive is okay)... Read this for more info on how to set up a mirrored volume in Win 10.

But before you do any of that, take a few days to make sure the PC hardware and OS are working correctly, and Win 10 is fully-up-to-date before you start getting fancy. Since this is a reburb PC, it probably won't have the latest Win 10 build 1809 on it so you probably want to do that update.  :Idea: 

And before you create the mirror, you'll probably want Win 10 to move default folders onto the 1st internal hard drive so only the OS and apps are stored on your SSD and all your data files are stored on the 1st hard drive, and then mirrored.  And when you install apps, be sure to configure them to save their data on the first internal drive (D: ) too.

Hope this helps...

11 Posts

January 29th, 2019 02:00

Thanks a lot for the additional insight here! Much appreciated.

Since I'm still on Windows 7 here, I wasn't aware that Windows 10 has it's own 'software RAID' system. That's very interesting. I'm curious what the pros/cons are between it and the BIOS/Intel Rapid Storage Tech implementation, especially in regards to performance. As both I suppose are technically software RAIDs, I'm guessing performance might be similar. I'll try to find some info comparing if possible.

And I've ordered the more updated model of Seagate Baracuda HD and a few SATA cables. I would typically go HGST or maybe WD Black, but those would have taken longer to get find & get here. Hopefully the Seagate will last OK (my current system had 2 RAID 1 mirrors - 4 drives - all Seagate Baracudas. Lasted almost 10 years with no issues.)...

We'll see which method seems best to use for the storage drive mirroring. In my current system, I have the default folders & libraries mapped to my storage drive(s), so thanks for the tip on setting this up in Windows 10. I'm sure there are a lot of things I'll have to get up-to-speed on in Win 10.

Computer scheduled to deliver tomorrow, so let's hope for the best!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 29th, 2019 10:00

You're welcome.

Like I've already said, I don't know if you can set up a RAID1 array on this model that doesn't include the boot drive.  My Dell tech contact didn't know the answer to that question either.

So post back and let everyone know if that's possible - or not - so we can all learn something new.

If MS took the trouble to code mirror volumes into Win 10, I suspect it's not equivalent to RAID in one way or another. Whether that's performance, ease of setup and/or use, better reliability, or something else, I don't know.  I use imaging software to backup my internal data drive on a USB drive automatically so don't need RAID or mirror volumes.

7 Posts

January 29th, 2019 11:00

I put a pair of 1TB RAID drives from my old ASUS machine into the

two spare cages at bottom of case.

Then I went to Programs/IntelStorage Technology.

I clicked on Create a Volume and chose one of the existing drives

to copy (rebuild the array).

You can choose RAID 0 or 1.

As my drives were full, it took about two hours.

I use the existing 1TB to backup the M.2 OS.

11 Posts

January 30th, 2019 01:00

Thanks again for the continued input here!

So 8930user, it appears you were able to successfully achieve what I was initially wondering about (create a RAID 1 with 2 SATA storage drives, without affecting SSD boot drive)?!? If so, that's good news.

I got the computer today and am doing some basic checking through of it first. Interestingly, the only icon on the Desktop besides the Recycle Bin was a shortcut to Intel Rapid Storage Technology app. I thought that was a curious choice to be installed off-the-bat on a newly started system. And, when opening it up, it only displays my SATA storage drive, not my M.2 boot. So maybe IRST only works with SATA drives?!?

UNFORTUNATELY, it appears that this computer didn't come with the extra 2 blue hard drive trays that appear to be necessary to mount additional dives in the bottom 2 bays. Did yours come with them? I'm wondering if because mine was refurbished it didn't include everything. I would have assumed it would have everything as a new purchase.

I'm still curious to find out any pros/cons between IRST and Win10 Mirroring. I'm guessing using Windows 10 mirroring might be simpler setup and less reliant on the IRST drivers or setup if anything needs to migrate.

I'll get my 2nd drive tomorrow. But I'll be honest, at initial inspection I'm not too impressed with this machine. The case seems very cheap, plasticy. Some of the components appear to be cheaper OEM versions. Just not a great first impression for what I thought might be a more high-end device (would have been $2k new). Maybe I'm too used to Macs at work and my current custom-build that used mostly top-brand components...

Thanks again!

1 Message

May 9th, 2019 16:00

I have found this thread very informative.  I just received my refurbished XPS 8930 which has only a 512GB M.2 SSD and no HDD.  I am coming from an old Studio XPS 9100 with 2 HDDs mirrored in RAID 1.  This has served me well and despite the failure of at least two Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives, I never had to perform the arduous task of rebuilding my OS.  A couple days in RAID degraded mode, swap out the drive, and then background rebuilding the volume.  I would like this level of reliability on my new computer.

As the OS is on the M.2 SSD, the OS drive will not be mirrored.  Should the SSD fail, I will be offline for at least the time it takes to acquire a replacement component.  I plan to install two HDDs in RAID 1 for my data and I hope to automate regular imaging of the OS volume to the HDD RAID array.  My data RAID volume will be automatically backed up to a NAS drive.  Should I have an OS volume failure, it should be as simple as swapping out the SSD, booting to a recovery USB drive, and then restoring the OS volume.

If you are still on this forum, Nametag, I would be interested in how your XPS 8930 storage system worked out for you.

1 Message

September 6th, 2020 09:00

I have a XPS 8930 that I bought in 2018. I had to raid 1 mirror hard drives from my old computer that I installed in the new Dell. It worked perfect and I didn't have to change any settings. Present time one of the hard drives is failed. I just bought two new hard drives and want to mirror them. I can't find the program in Dell setup. I tried the "I control but nothing happened. I know that I can just let it boot up and do the mirror hard drive in the intel program in windows. I have all the documents, favorites, download on my mirror drive. I was hoping to do the process before windows and then boot to a PE program and restore the data, then boot to windows. Any suggestions.

No Events found!