Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Re: XPS 8930 SE, top fan not same as XPS 8920

Jump to solution

@Dell630i wrote:

@Dingazoid wrote:

rh310, I just want to verify:  you upgraded your chassis fan from 92mm to 120mm and it resulted in no change in termperatures, just noise?  I am getting high CPU temperatures doing moderately intensive things and it's really making me regret my decision.  I have the 8930 with the i7-8700(non-k).  I think what might really help is the CPU cooler that comes with the K processor models.  Dell is really cutting corners with these machines and making them hard to upgrade in terms of case volume/arrangement, I'll have to recommend no one else buy one.

Options I can think of: complain to Dell to get the better CPU heatsink and fan

Complain to Dell to get the 120mm chassis fan, improving noise but maybe not temperatures

Underclock my processor to 3900mHz as described here https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Dell-XPS-8930-is-noisy-under-load-How-to-i...

Apparently pre-emptive underclocking can prevent both throttling and temperature spikes.

I would really like to know if a bigger chassis fan improved temperatures at all for anyone!

If you are still interested in the "K" model CPU heatsink/blower fan I have one that I am no longer using I can send you. You would need to obtain the heatsink mounting screws that screw into the mobo. Just let me know.

It looks like this: (click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3613.JPG

The top one? Of course it does, Dell gipt us.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

7 Thorium

Jump to solution

@rh310 wrote:

I just got an 8930 SE today and did the usual internal inspection before power on and was shocked when I saw the top fan.  Google images implies the 8930 initially had the same large fan my 8920 came with.  The 8930 Service Manual also shows the large fan.

According to those two pics, looks like the (fan-air ) Heat-Sink/Cooler on the CPU itself has been upgraded as well.

Interesting to see the great-lengths and re-engineering Dell went through to keep this machine on old-school air-fan cooling (and not giving the nice Intel-i7's Liquid-Coolers).   

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@rh310 wrote:

I just got an 8930 SE today and did the usual internal inspection before power on and was shocked when I saw the top fan.  Google images implies the 8930 initially had the same large fan my 8920 came with.  The 8930 Service Manual also shows the large fan.

According to those two pics, looks like the (fan-air ) Heat-Sink/Cooler on the CPU itself has been upgraded as well.

Interesting to see the great-lengths and re-engineering Dell went through to keep this machine on old-school air-fan cooling (and not giving the nice Intel-i7's Liquid-Coolers).   

I guess they figured that thing on the CPU would compensate for the tiny top fan.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

Highlighted
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

From what I've read, certain level (K?) CPU's get that heatsink/fan combo.  My 8920 had the same one and has a K CPU.  

Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

@rh310 wrote:

From what I've read, certain level (K?) CPU's get that heatsink/fan combo.  My 8920 had the same one and has a K CPU.  

Instead of just using that circular fan on the overclockable cpu's they should have put them on all of them. Don't they know there is a big fan noise problem? Skimp and lose sales; makes no sense to me. I would never buy an 8930 now that I know what they did to the upper case fan (92mm), and knowing how noisy my 8920 was before I added a lower front fan with ALL the air coming from outside, and all the tape I had to use to block all the extraneous air to make it work right.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

Highlighted
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Given that - with gentle encouragement and persistence on my part - Dell was willing and able to obtain and install the 120mm that should have been there in the first place (and WAS there in my 8920), I wouldn't hesitate to get the 8930 and it's the reason I didn't return it.  So I appreciate they did that.  In the end they probably achieve their goal of cost savings because how many people other than this small tight knit group are going to even notice the new smaller fan?  

I don't have a big a grief over the CPU fan because I've only had the K series CPU's.  But if I didn't, then yes, why not use the better cooling solution on all their models.  I suppose I can appreciate that someone along the way decided the K series NEEDED something more and took the time to implement that.  But maybe it would just never passed testing without it.  Who knows.  

As far as fan noise, I've never had that issue on any Dell.  But then I don't game or do allot that would run the system hard for an extended time.  I guess that's where all the liquid cooling stuff comes into play.  

Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

@rh310 wrote:

Given that - with gentle encouragement and persistence on my part - Dell was willing and able to obtain and install the 120mm that should have been there in the first place (and WAS there in my 8920), I wouldn't hesitate to get the 8930 and it's the reason I didn't return it.  So I appreciate they did that.  In the end they probably achieve their goal of cost savings because how many people other than this small tight knit group are going to even notice the new smaller fan?  

I don't have a big a grief over the CPU fan because I've only had the K series CPU's.  But if I didn't, then yes, why not use the better cooling solution on all their models.  I suppose I can appreciate that someone along the way decided the K series NEEDED something more and took the time to implement that.  But maybe it would just never passed testing without it.  Who knows.  

As far as fan noise, I've never had that issue on any Dell.  But then I don't game or do allot that would run the system hard for an extended time.  I guess that's where all the liquid cooling stuff comes into play.  

Probably a lot, all I had to do is run YouTube and a virus scan at the same time and it sounded like a jet fighter plane's afterburner, and that's with the 120mm fan in the top rear. That was definitely a bad move on Dell's part.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card