Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

January 18th, 2019 19:00

XPS 8930 SE, top fan not same as XPS 8920

I bought an 8920 SE a while ago and was surprised/pleased at how large the top fan was.  It's super quiet too - but I don't do allot of heavy rendering or game play.  I thought, big fan. slow speed, moves allot of air compared to small noisy fan at higher speed.  Nice design.  Until today.

I just got an 8930 SE today and did the usual internal inspection before power on and was shocked when I saw the top fan.  Google images implies the 8930 initially had the same large fan my 8920 came with.  The 8930 Service Manual also shows the large fan.

I'm afraid though that this is just cost cutting by Dell.  Because someone had to design a special mount on which to mount this tiny fan.  My 8920 has a K CPU and uses the same cooler - but a fan the size of the one shown in the 8930 Service Manual. 

Or, maybe Dell had so many problems with the large fan (noise) that they just gave up.  I'll call and see what they have to say.  I see no mention online of this tiny replacement so maybe no one noticed/cares.  I suppose if I can find nominal temperature specs to compare against and this case meets that it would be ok.   

8930 top fan8930 top fan8930 Service Manual8930 Service Manual

2 Posts

March 8th, 2019 19:00

Appreciate the quick response and the encouragement! I just spoke with tech support and cancelled the service dispatch. I tried again to get them to send a 120mm fan, but they wouldn't budge. Maybe because I have just the basic 1 year warranty? Really frustrating support experience. But a couple fans are not going to break the bank, even if it stings a little, and I'll learn something new in the process if I do it myself. Any recommendations for thermal paste, or a video to show how it's done?

732 Posts

March 8th, 2019 23:00

@ryfly wrote:

Appreciate the quick response and the encouragement! I just spoke with tech support and cancelled the service dispatch. I tried again to get them to send a 120mm fan, but they wouldn't budge. Maybe because I have just the basic 1 year warranty? Really frustrating support experience. But a couple fans are not going to break the bank, even if it stings a little, and I'll learn something new in the process if I do it myself. Any recommendations for thermal paste, or a video to show how it's done?

I would call them again a say others have gotten free fans in their forum, and the 1 year warranty has nothing to do with it.

Those videos are on YouTube, I did one and there's nothing to it. You might have to order a little paste or just go to your local computer store and ask for a dab.

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

March 21st, 2019 18:00

@ryfly wrote:
Did Dell do the install for you? I'm afraid I could end up with a refurbished fan and potentially poorer thermal contact between CPU and heatsink depending on how carefully the Dell tech performs the install.

Luck of the draw I guess - or maybe because I had just gotten the unit and was very much ready to return it.  I didn't threaten or anything like that, just stated the facts.  The support folks are mostly in the dark I think on how the systems are designed/built.  There's just too many variations so it's no fault on their part.  They sent a tech both times.  First time he just had the 92mm fan and bracket.  It was obvious to him what I wanted, but they just supplied him the wrong part because the 120mm is probably not associated in any way in their parts system with the 8930.  Some how, the second time, someone figured it out and the tech brought out a 120mm fan and bracket.  He insisted the CPU did not need re-pasting but was content at my request to do so.  I had run it long enough to see the temps beforehand and afterwards they were the same.  I only have the standard warranty.  I like you just didn't want to mess with that CPU heatsink.  After watching the tech though it wasn't as difficult/complicated as I had imagined.

798 Posts

March 21st, 2019 19:00

@rh310 wrote:

@ryfly wrote:
Did Dell do the install for you? I'm afraid I could end up with a refurbished fan and potentially poorer thermal contact between CPU and heatsink depending on how carefully the Dell tech performs the install.

Luck of the draw I guess - or maybe because I had just gotten the unit and was very much ready to return it.  I didn't threaten or anything like that, just stated the facts.  The support folks are mostly in the dark I think on how the systems are designed/built.  There's just too many variations so it's no fault on their part.  They sent a tech both times.  First time he just had the 92mm fan and bracket.  It was obvious to him what I wanted, but they just supplied him the wrong part because the 120mm is probably not associated in any way in their parts system with the 8930.  Some how, the second time, someone figured it out and the tech brought out a 120mm fan and bracket.  He insisted the CPU did not need re-pasting but was content at my request to do so.  I had run it long enough to see the temps beforehand and afterwards they were the same.  I only have the standard warranty.  I like you just didn't want to mess with that CPU heatsink.  After watching the tech though it wasn't as difficult/complicated as I had imagined.

I'm glad you were able to get the correct size fan.    Squeaky wheel does get the grease!

Don’t be afraid of the CPU cooler heatsink R & R.

As long as you have alcohol low in water content (91% stuff) and you use a cotton pad or equivalent that doesn’t shed fibers you will be fine. 

Clean off the heatsink, clean off the CPU of any residue, apply the thermal paste, install the heatsink.

Lots of videos.

I have always done it this way where I just put a little dot on the center of the CPU and then cut an old credit card in half and use it to spread a very thin layer on the CPU and feather out to the edges.   Less is better, and just add a small amount more if it won’t feather out to the edges any longer.  Center is more important than the edges but I'm probably a little too neat about things.

This is the i7 8700 before I re-installed the H60 CPU cooler on it.  (Using Arctic Silver MX-4 thermal paste)

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7661.jpg

If you have the SE Heatsink, it might not be bad idea to put a Y cable on the TOP FAN header just in case you want to change fans or add another to the header.    Then any future fan upgrades can be done without having to remove the heatsink.

This is a decent video on how to R& R the SE cooler for future reference 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmCb6gBW-8

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

March 22nd, 2019 20:00

Should I ever have to do that in the future, thanks for the credit card tip!  I was not confident that I could put the correct drop size in the center of the CPU to get full/uniform/effective spread.  The more I see this done, the less scary it looks.  But Dell hooked me up with what I wanted so I'm good for a few years :-) 

732 Posts

March 23rd, 2019 12:00

@rh310 wrote:

Should I ever have to do that in the future, thanks for the credit card tip!  I was not confident that I could put the correct drop size in the center of the CPU to get full/uniform/effective spread.  The more I see this done, the less scary it looks.  But Dell hooked me up with what I wanted so I'm good for a few years :-) 

Nothing to it, just do it.

3 Posts

May 16th, 2019 09:00

rh310, I just want to verify:  you upgraded your chassis fan from 92mm to 120mm and it resulted in no change in termperatures, just noise?  I am getting high CPU temperatures doing moderately intensive things and it's really making me regret my decision.  I have the 8930 with the i7-8700(non-k).  I think what might really help is the CPU cooler that comes with the K processor models.  Dell is really cutting corners with these machines and making them hard to upgrade in terms of case volume/arrangement, I'll have to recommend no one else buy one.

Options I can think of: complain to Dell to get the better CPU heatsink and fan

Complain to Dell to get the 120mm chassis fan, improving noise but maybe not temperatures

Underclock my processor to 3900mHz as described here https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Dell-XPS-8930-is-noisy-under-load-How-to-improve-Cooling-Top-Fan/td-p/5171062

Apparently pre-emptive underclocking can prevent both throttling and temperature spikes.

I would really like to know if a bigger chassis fan improved temperatures at all for anyone!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 16th, 2019 12:00

@Dingazoid wrote:

rh310, I just want to verify:  you upgraded your chassis fan from 92mm to 120mm and it resulted in no change in termperatures, just noise?  I am getting high CPU temperatures doing moderately intensive things and it's really making me regret my decision.  I have the 8930 with the i7-8700(non-k).  I think what might really help is the CPU cooler that comes with the K processor models.  Dell is really cutting corners with these machines and making them hard to upgrade in terms of case volume/arrangement, I'll have to recommend no one else buy one.

Complain to Dell to get the 120mm chassis fan, improving noise but maybe not temperatures

Underclock my processor to 3900mHz as described here https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Dell-XPS-8930-is-noisy-under-load-How-to-improve-Cooling-Top-Fan/td-p/5171062

Apparently pre-emptive underclocking can prevent both throttling and temperature spikes.

I would really like to know if a bigger chassis fan improved temperatures at all for anyone!

The 120 mm top exhaust fan will improve temperatures somewhat by removing hot case air. The noise/temperature issues are related. However, with an air-starved case design, you should considering adding additional front case fans and/or liquid cooling options.

732 Posts

May 16th, 2019 13:00

Everybody; just do like I did in my "added front fan" thread.....….it's not that hard to do, get all that air coming through the front where it's supposed to.

Search for;  added 120mm front fan (with pictures)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2019 21:00

@Dingazoid wrote:

If you are still interested in the "K" model CPU heatsink/blower fan I have one that I am no longer using I can send you. You would need to obtain the heatsink mounting screws that screw into the mobo. Just let me know.

It looks like this: (click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3613.JPG

732 Posts

June 12th, 2019 07:00

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dingazoid wrote:

If you are still interested in the "K" model CPU heatsink/blower fan I have one that I am no longer using I can send you. You would need to obtain the heatsink mounting screws that screw into the mobo. Just let me know.

It looks like this: (click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3613.JPG

The top one? Of course it does, Dell gipt us.

No Events found!