Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 19th, 2019 12:00

XPS 8930, SSD not configured, OS not loaded

So I take delivery of my beautiful new XPS 8930, i7-9700, 16 GB ram, 256 GB ssd, 2 TB hdd, NVidia RTX 2060, Windows 10 Pro, Killer network, etc, etc. It runs great, looks great on my new Dell 32" S3219D monitor, but discovered, that the OS, is loaded onto my HDD, and the computer boots from there, not the SSD like it was supposed to have been setup to do, in fact, there is nothing, zilch, zero, nada on the SSD. I'm not a tech, so I wouldn't begin to try and understand WHY they didn't configure this correctly like it was supposed to have been. I called support, they remotely saw and confirmed what I was telling them, and suggested I call customer service for an immediate computer replacement. My only concern with doing that(if it's even true they would, since it has been less than 30 days) is....what if they send me one configured correctly, but has some other issue ie: noisy fan, etc. This computer is GREAT, quiet, fast, perfect and haven't had any other issues.....does anyone know of a workaround so I wouldn't have to return this one yet have my OS loaded onto the SSD so I can tell BIOS to boot from it, and use my HDD for storage? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

You could clone the HDD onto the SSD with something like Macrium Reflect Free Edition. After the HDD is cloned you will need to disconnect the HDD to boot from the SSD. Because of the UEFI BIOS there is no way to set the BIOS to boot from the SSD. If you don't disconnect the HDD, you will have to boot using F12 and the Boot Menu to boot from the SSD each time you boot up. To use the HDD as backup storage, you will have to reconnect the HDD, boot from the SSD with F12, and re-initialize the HDD (not just format it).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Yes, apparently this happens from time-to-time. You will have to ask Dell if you want to know how-or-why. 

Anyway, I think I would just erase it and start over.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6073081/highlight/true#M3401

If you have only the one SSD connected at install-time, it has to be the bootable-drive C: 

December 21st, 2019 08:00

Thanks for everyone's input on my issue. This allows me a better understanding of what must be done in order to achieve this goal. Thanks again for all your help, and Happy Holidays!

No Events found!