Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2018 21:00

XPS 8930, SSD, standoff required?

I'm trying to install a Samsung 970 evo SSD in an XPS 8930 but I'm having trouble with the single bolt that physically holds it to the motherboard.

There was a standoff factory-installed in the SSD 2280 mounting hole on the motherboard. It's the right height to hold the SSD parallel to the motherboard but the service manual clearly shows the SSD being bolted directly to the mounting hole in the motherboard without a standoff being used. I tried this but it bends the SSD down at an angle until the end touches the motherboard. This just looks wrong to me.

Since the standoff was installed at the factory I assume it's needed but that doesn't match the photo and instructions in the service manual. I'm not sure which is correct.

The M2 x 2.5 bolt that's called for in the service manual appears to be the correct size to fasten directly into the motherboard but the hole on the top of the standoff appears to be about half that diameter. I'm not even sure where I can find a bolt that small. I've already looked in the local hardware stores and electronics stores.

You can see a photo on page 54 of the service manual which shows the SSD being bolted directly to the motherboard without the standoff:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-8930-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

Any help would be appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 15th, 2018 09:00

Nope. We only supply screws for hardware we install. The online XPS 8920 Service Manual page 12 list all of the screws if you needed to purchase one locally.

70 Posts

December 7th, 2018 09:00

JBS - You are obviously familiar with the Internet. All you have to do is search for " m.2 ssd mounting screws " on Amazon or Ebay, and you will find tons of vendors. I just checked Amazon for you and there were 4 whole pages of options. Not sure you would find these at any local retail store anywhere unless it was a high-end specialty computer shop, so your only option is mail order. Search and shop around.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 14th, 2018 22:00

Is it like this ?

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-3670-M-2-mount-screw/m-p/6114118#M6047

I have no idea that Dell is doing here. It was easier back when you just had to go find the M.2-2280-SSD metric screw (at computer-shop or hobby-shop).

732 Posts

August 14th, 2018 23:00

No, it shows the standoff (I see it) and it's supposed to be in there unless someone robbed it. They are too tight to supply the screw but you can buy them on eBay, (I just got one). Your hardware store probably has one that's too long but you could use nuts or washers on it (or cut it if you want to risk stripping the standoff.) I don't even know why they need to be locked down flat and I never could get an answer other than it locks it in but it's already plugged it. Let me know if it works not down. Mine didn't but I never knew if that was the problem or the M.2 "card" just wasn't compatible. They took so long sending the screw I shipped the NVME back to Amazon and got a sata 2.5" SSD.

3 Posts

August 14th, 2018 23:00

No, mine looks different. It's hexagonal and there's a threaded hole on top but the hole looks like it's barely more than 1mm in diameter. I've attached some photos of the standoff as it came installed from the factory and some with it removed.

I'm going to try going to a computer repair shop and see if they have something they can sell me. I see M2 standoffs for sale online but they are larger in diameter so they can accept a larger screw on top. Maybe I can find one that will work. standoff as it came from the factorystandoff as it came from the factoryheight is about 4mm above motherboardheight is about 4mm above motherboardvery small threaded hole on topvery small threaded hole on tope motherboard

4 Posts

August 15th, 2018 06:00

No.  I just installed a Samsung 970 EVO 500 in a brand new XPS 8930 last night with no issues.  I scavenged an M2x2.5 screw from my Chromebook and will worry about replacing it later.

I can't find the post I made last night about the process I used for OS migration, but it was painless.

732 Posts

August 15th, 2018 08:00

That's it! The hole just looks small, just get the screw. Your pictures are just triangles showing.

732 Posts

August 15th, 2018 08:00

So maybe the 970 Samsung M.2 NVME ssd  in my XPS 8920 would have worked if I waited longer for the screw to arrive so it could be secured flat? Dell are you reading this? SUPPLY THE SCREWS !

732 Posts

August 15th, 2018 09:00

So why even supply the standoff? It's a bad idea by dell, they might as well run the data and power cords to just one bay too.

3 Posts

August 15th, 2018 20:00

I was finally able to locate the correct size screw. It came in a package called "Micro Connectors M.2 SSD Mounting Screws Kit"
Manufacturer Model: L02-M2S-KIT

I found it at Fry's (Frys# 9566782) but it's also available at Microcenter and on Amazon. In the kit are several flat-head screws and several standoffs. Both of them are small enough to screw into the top of the standoff that came from Dell and either one of them will work to secure the SSD to the Dell standoff. I used the flat-head screw and it worked fine. There are also some plastic washers and a small screwdriver in the kit but I didn't need those.

I've posted some photos of the mounting kit but, according to the Dell Community help pages, posted photos have to be approved by a moderator before they can be viewed so these might not be available yet.

I hope this information proves helpful to someone else.

label from mounting kitlabel from mounting kitcontents of mounting kitcontents of mounting kit

732 Posts

August 15th, 2018 23:00

I paid $5 for one screw on ebay and it was all I needed, also your pictures aren't showing again.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2018 09:00

Hello Chris, I have now checked with most major outlets in Sweden and no one sells these screws. How to do when it is not available locally?

4 Posts

December 7th, 2018 10:00

Well mr Archer, as we are the lucky ones that so far do not have Amazon or Ebay the delivery times are around a month for all screws I find. Sadly I cannot see if any of the vendors on Amazon do send from within the EU, otherwise the Swedish post office will add another 3-4 weeks on handling times of customs (not to mention administrative fees).

I would really like to know what Chis at Dell had in mind with finding the screws localy. Especially since the XPS is sold with the statements such as easy to upgrade. That would not really be the case when you need to order the screws from China instead of them being included on the motherboard on delivery.

70 Posts

December 7th, 2018 11:00

Sorry to hear - Good luck. 

732 Posts

December 7th, 2018 17:00

I still think Dell should put those screws in there from the factory instead of trying to squeeze a few pennies and causing  everyone endless grief. They would be better for it.

No Events found!