Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 8930, SSD, standoff required?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to install a Samsung 970 evo SSD in an XPS 8930 but I'm having trouble with the single bolt that physically holds it to the motherboard.

There was a standoff factory-installed in the SSD 2280 mounting hole on the motherboard. It's the right height to hold the SSD parallel to the motherboard but the service manual clearly shows the SSD being bolted directly to the mounting hole in the motherboard without a standoff being used. I tried this but it bends the SSD down at an angle until the end touches the motherboard. This just looks wrong to me.

Since the standoff was installed at the factory I assume it's needed but that doesn't match the photo and instructions in the service manual. I'm not sure which is correct.

The M2 x 2.5 bolt that's called for in the service manual appears to be the correct size to fasten directly into the motherboard but the hole on the top of the standoff appears to be about half that diameter. I'm not even sure where I can find a bolt that small. I've already looked in the local hardware stores and electronics stores.

You can see a photo on page 54 of the service manual which shows the SSD being bolted directly to the motherboard without the standoff:

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-8930-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is standoff needed for SSD install in XPS 8930?

Jump to solution

Nope. We only supply screws for hardware we install. The online XPS 8920 Service Manual page 12 list all of the screws if you needed to purchase one locally.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

JBS - You are obviously familiar with the Internet. All you have to do is search for " m.2 ssd mounting screws " on Amazon or Ebay, and you will find tons of vendors. I just checked Amazon for you and there were 4 whole pages of options. Not sure you would find these at any local retail store anywhere unless it was a high-end specialty computer shop, so your only option is mail order. Search and shop around.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

Is it like this ?

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-3670-M-2-mount-screw/m-p/6114118#M6047

I have no idea that Dell is doing here. It was easier back when you just had to go find the M.2-2280-SSD metric screw (at computer-shop or hobby-shop).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

No, mine looks different. It's hexagonal and there's a threaded hole on top but the hole looks like it's barely more than 1mm in diameter. I've attached some photos of the standoff as it came installed from the factory and some with it removed.

I'm going to try going to a computer repair shop and see if they have something they can sell me. I see M2 standoffs for sale online but they are larger in diameter so they can accept a larger screw on top. Maybe I can find one that will work. standoff as it came from the factorystandoff as it came from the factoryheight is about 4mm above motherboardheight is about 4mm above motherboardvery small threaded hole on topvery small threaded hole on tope motherboard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

That's it! The hole just looks small, just get the screw. Your pictures are just triangles showing.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

No, it shows the standoff (I see it) and it's supposed to be in there unless someone robbed it. They are too tight to supply the screw but you can buy them on eBay, (I just got one). Your hardware store probably has one that's too long but you could use nuts or washers on it (or cut it if you want to risk stripping the standoff.) I don't even know why they need to be locked down flat and I never could get an answer other than it locks it in but it's already plugged it. Let me know if it works not down. Mine didn't but I never knew if that was the problem or the M.2 "card" just wasn't compatible. They took so long sending the screw I shipped the NVME back to Amazon and got a sata 2.5" SSD.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

thank you for this info.  I spent 4 hours with Dell today and they couldn't even tell me what to do or what this was.

I ordered a screw from amazon.  All they had do was tell me you have to get the screw

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

No.  I just installed a Samsung 970 EVO 500 in a brand new XPS 8930 last night with no issues.  I scavenged an M2x2.5 screw from my Chromebook and will worry about replacing it later.

I can't find the post I made last night about the process I used for OS migration, but it was painless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

So maybe the 970 Samsung M.2 NVME ssd  in my XPS 8920 would have worked if I waited longer for the screw to arrive so it could be secured flat? Dell are you reading this? SUPPLY THE SCREWS !

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Nope. We only supply screws for hardware we install. The online XPS 8920 Service Manual page 12 list all of the screws if you needed to purchase one locally.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

So why even supply the standoff? It's a bad idea by dell, they might as well run the data and power cords to just one bay too.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos