Highlighted
Codename78
1 Copper

XPS 8930 Special Edition, heatsink question

Jump to solution

Does any one knows if XPS 8930 with i9-9900 processor comes with upgraded heatsink and fan on the CPU just like XPS 8930 with i9-9900K does?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Re: XPS 8930 Special Edition, heatsink question

Jump to solution

@Codename78    I just want to keep it cool.

In addition to the blower style fan/heatsink, you will want to make certain of a 120mm top exhaust fan, and consider adding a front case fan(s).

XPS 8930 Top Exhaust Fan 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

@Codename78    Does any one know . . .

I cannot say for certain, but I suspect the answer is 'no'. The i9-9900 is a 65 watt TDP processor. Based on what I have seen, it takes the "K" and 95 watts to get the blower style fan/heatsink.

RuskinF
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

No, the XPS 8930 with i9-9900 processor does not come with an upgraded heat sink, unlike XPS 8930 with i9-9900K processor.

Codename78
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Do you think I can upgrade it without any issues (should it be just simple swap) to upgraded Heatsink from i9 9900K?

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Appears to be a simple swap. See this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmCb6gBW-8&t=444s

There aren't a whole lot of options for the XPS 8910 8920 and 8930 desktop computers. This is a pretty simple option that actually adds some extra cooling to the CPU. Heatsink part number: T57JF Fan part number: KTDJC
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

@Codename78     should it be just simple swap

Yes, it is a simple swap. However, if you have not already purchased your computer, consider ordering the "K" processor, which are selected from the premium batches. Some others with non "K" processors have made the 'simple swap', and have been disappointed in the results.

see the thread linked below

XPS 8930 LOUD 

. . . while others are pleased

Simple Swap 

Codename78
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you but already purchased Non "K" one. As long as it will work i am ok with fans being loud etc. I just want to keep it cool. Fan noise doesnt really bothers me.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

@Codename78    I just want to keep it cool.

In addition to the blower style fan/heatsink, you will want to make certain of a 120mm top exhaust fan, and consider adding a front case fan(s).

XPS 8930 Top Exhaust Fan 

View solution in original post

GTS81
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

The other missing heat sink for non-K XPS 8930 is the heat sink for the VRMs.

Codename78
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you again. I already ordered everything meaning: i9 9900K upgraded HeatSink, 120mm Top Fan and Metal Bracket, Two Front 120mm Fans with Plastic Bracket all connections etc. Now I am just waiting for my tower to show up. Thank you for all the info.

0 Kudos