XPS Desktops

Last reply by 07-02-2020 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS-8930 Tower Special Edition versus XPS-8930 Desktop Special Edition

I noticed on Dell there are two types of XPS 8930's.  One is called a XPS Tower Special Edition and the other a XPS Desktop Special Edition.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two?

I chatted with a Dell Customer Service person and they said the Tower version has a larger power supply (850w) and a better GPU.  But, I was able to configure both with the same PSU and GPU.  The base price seems to be about $100 more for the Tower version and it appears that the outside of the case looks different (matte gray versus glossy black).  I am curious if they are other, more significant differences.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thanks!

Replies (12)

@Anonymous 

Thanks.

Would you say it is worth the extra $100 to get the i9-9900K versus i9-9900, to get the better CPU cooler and heatsinks?

I don't really need the over-clocking and have heard it can decrease the life.  Is that true?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheRoots   Would you say it is worth the extra $100 to get the i9-9900K versus i9-9900, to get the better CPU cooler and heatsinks?

My opinion: yes

I don't really need the over-clocking and have heard it can decrease the life. Is that true?

Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Just because the CPU is 'overclockable' does not mean it has to be overclocked. The chips designated as "K" are selected from the highest yield wafers at the manufacturing labs. This would mean, statistically, they would have greater reliability and function more efficiently . . . statistically.

@TheRoots 

There seems to be 4 builds:
1)  XPS Desktop standard (under "For Home" from the main XPS page)
2)  XPS Desktop Special Edition (under "For Home" from the main XPS page)
3)  XPS Tower standard (under "For Work" from the main XPS page)
4)  XPS Tower Special Edition (under "For Work" from the main XPS page)

But like you asked, what's the difference?  They are all Dell XPS 8930 Towers with common parts.

I use my system mainly for photo, video, and music editing.  As well as the basic finance (Quicken), MS-Office Pro stuff, etc.  Most of it isn't too much of a resource hog, but one of my Photo Editing (Luminar) is a big resource hog.

Any process that revs up the CPU and/or GPU will rev up the heat and then the temps and then the fans.

The system I have configured is almost identical to yours;
I am thinking of 2TB M.2 SSD, Nvidia RTX-2060, BDRE drive, I9-9900, 32GB RAM, and Windows 10 Pro.  Then I plan to add my two 2TB HDD from my (4-year old dead) XPS 8900.

That will work.  Some think the 460W PSU is too small but I would not be concerned unless you jump up to the next GPU that consumes more power.  You can always fix it later (new/better PSU), if necessary.

Did you upgrade the case fans because you were having problems or just to be cautious?

It was in my purchase plan before I got the system... I anticipated the issue based on the specs and case design and comments online... heat management is a consideration for every box... this box had the writing on the wall, IF you want quiet and we all do.  The one 92mm ball-bearing top case fan is not quiet and would rev up at idle due to any process that happens to warm up the CPU, so I proceeded with the fan upgrade as planned.  Next upgrade was going to be a CPU cooler of my choosing... but the stock CPU cooler has been good and quiet enough.

Also, I try to keep my system as factory built, so I don't encounter problems with Dell support and their warranty service.

Something to consider.  I can return my build to 'as-shipped' plus four little holes in the chassis that I added for the lower front case fan.

I rely on my PC and need the immediate service.

You can extend the 1-year on-site to 3-year onsite to give you more break-in time.  And you can renew later, if worth the peace of mind.  I do the included 1-year on desktops and 3-years on laptops.

Note that the K-version blower-style CPU cooler blocks the top case fan removal, so it complicates the fan upgrade.  You gotta wanna do it to take it on.

The fan upgrade is not for everyone, so decide if you want to mess with it for a quieter, cooler system.  It's an unfortunate consideration to have to make just to buy this system.  I've been doing PCs since the IBM XT so I could take it in stride, but that's not for everyone.  I wanted to recommend this system to my daughter, but I can't help her with it so I can't recommend it.

GK

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor