Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 27th, 2018 13:00

XPS 8930, Upgrades, CPU cooler, PSU, SSD

Hi all! - This is my first post here, so please bare with me :)

Ordered my XPS 8930 and want to make some upgrades once I receive it.

Current shipping specs are:
- 8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 6-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.6 GHz) - NON K version
- 64GB DDR4 Memory at 2666MHz (4X16GB)
- NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X Graphics Memory
- 256GB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
- XPS 8930, Mainstream Chassis (460W) - PSU - standard

Based on many articles I kept reading, there seem to be issues with:
- fan noise
- cpu overheating
- storage upgrades to NVMe drives - AHCI boot or UEFI related
- BIOS versioning (not related to this post, but thought to include the issue)

Before continuing with my questions, please keep in mind that initially I custom built a pc with almost the same specs as above from scratch, and I would have ended up paying way more. (idea here is that I'm not new to pc building :))

Questions:

- Is it worth / plausible / possible to change the CPU cooling system? If so, did anyone find any water based ones OR at least something better than the stock one? (there are issues here with the space inside the 8930 case for extra fans and space between the CPU sink and the PSU)
- Should the PSU be changed to a higher wattage? (above the 460W) - not planning adding extra HDD that are power hungry, but want to ensure system stability.
- Adding this Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD as a third storage device cause issues AND Not perform at full read/write rates and bus speeds?

Again, please ensure your answers pertain to the I7 8700 non K version, and the 8930 case shipped by Dell.
I'll use this pc for video editing, so it'll be processor intensive and need to maintain the system at low temperature, as rendering can take sometimes hours ... :)

Appreciate any help on this! Thanks!

140 Posts

January 27th, 2018 16:00

Hi Criminalu,

It sounds like you've ordered a great 8930!  I've seen all of the other 8930 postings, but not everyone is having all of those problems.  I have had the i7-8700 (non-k) processor in the standard black case (standard fan and cpu cooler) since November and have had no problems with fan noise, cpu overheating, storage upgrades, etc.  I have had problems with the bios upgrade to 1.0.5 and also a problem with upgrading the GPU.  I upgraded my power supply as part of the trouble shooting process with the GPU.  I put in a 650W power supply.  I have 3 storage devices, I boot from a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB PCIe NVME drive and then have two other standard HDDs for additional storage.  Upgrading to the Samsung took about an hour, including the time it took to update all of the Windows 10 downloads that came in after using the recovery drive.  The Samsung is incredibly fast and highly recommended and mine runs at the full read/write rates (3272/1905) and bus speeds.  I found a GPU that works great - EVGA 1070ti.  I couldn't ever get my older Gigabyte 1070 to work in this PC.  I still swear that it was a bios issue causing those GPU issues.

20 Posts

January 27th, 2018 22:00

Hi Koeven,

Thanks for the reply. I believe I already read all your posts before writing mine, hence I was aware of your issues.
I did post in the thread about the BIOS upgrade if you care to see it here.
Maybe the issue will be solved before my machine arrives. As for the Samsung evo, hope not to run into issues, as this will not be my OS drive, it'll be used as a secondary scratch location for video editing. As for GPU sorry to hear what you went through, I read the entire thread (feel bad for that experience). I'm happy with the GTX 1080, given the fact that there is nowhere to buy it - bi*tcoin digging rigs users bought them all and it's a shortage on the market.
All the best!

January 28th, 2018 14:00

Hey Koeven, thanks for sharing. I am also looking at dropping an older nvme SSD in after mine arrives. What procrss did you go through to move the OS over to your new drive?

20 Posts

January 30th, 2018 02:00

@Koeven wrote:

Hi Criminalu,

It sounds like you've ordered a great 8930!  I've seen all of the other 8930 postings, but not everyone is having all of those problems.  I have had the i7-8700 (non-k) processor in the standard black case (standard fan and cpu cooler) since November and have had no problems with fan noise, cpu overheating, storage upgrades, etc.  I have had problems with the bios upgrade to 1.0.5 and also a problem with upgrading the GPU.  I upgraded my power supply as part of the trouble shooting process with the GPU.  I put in a 650W power supply.  I have 3 storage devices, I boot from a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB PCIe NVME drive and then have two other standard HDDs for additional storage.  Upgrading to the Samsung took about an hour, including the time it took to update all of the Windows 10 downloads that came in after using the recovery drive.  The Samsung is incredibly fast and highly recommended and mine runs at the full read/write rates (3272/1905) and bus speeds.  I found a GPU that works great - EVGA 1070ti.  I couldn't ever get my older Gigabyte 1070 to work in this PC.  I still swear that it was a bios issue causing those GPU issues.

Hey Koeven!
Quick question here: did you install the Smasung 960 Evo directly on the motherboard or you put it on the PCIe X4 slot?
I would leave for the time being the 256 GB NVMe drive where it is in the build for the OS, and add the new one on an adapter on the PCIe x4 empty slot on the MB. You think it will still work at the intended speeds like you mentioned?
Appreciate it!

140 Posts

January 30th, 2018 11:00

I installed it in the single M2 slot on the motherboard.  I believe the only other slot on the motherboard is the one for the wifi adapter.  I understand that it should not be used for an NVMe drive.  Are you thinking of purchasing an adapter for the NVMe drive and using an empty PCIe slot?  I don't know of anyone in the forum who has done that, so I don't know what speeds you'll get.  Theoretically it should work.  Maybe someone has done it on an 8920 or 8910.

20 Posts

January 30th, 2018 14:00

Tried to post a reply 4-5 times.. it doesn't show up... :(

20 Posts

January 30th, 2018 15:00

Will try to break the message in 2 parts see if it works ...

Thanks man. This is a bit weird. My assumption was that the OS shipped by Dell would reside on the 256 ssd on the motherboard they ship it with, and not on the HDD. That would be kinda lame in my oppinion, as you want the OS to be on a fast drive. Anyways, I will see about this when I get the system.
To answer your question: - Yes, I got an adapter. After doing some research about the 8930 motherboard and the I7 8700 cpu PCIe lanes and how they work, it's safe to say that using the PCIe X4 slot no.15 - we get the proper speed for an NVMe drive like the 960. The adapter I got is a slim form factor, so hopefully I won't have issues with the chassis on top of it. Will update on all of this once I get all setup next week sometime (gotta get the system delivered first). There is yet however the option of using the Samsung 960 with a different SATA 6 adapter, but that would mean to cut down on the other SATA lanes in order to have the proper speed.

20 Posts

January 30th, 2018 15:00

Anyways, ideally I would have for begginers two NVMe drives (one for the OS and apps, and one for scratch project files) and a third large one for storage. Later on, I can add more drives on the SATA drives as desired.
For now that PCIe slot uses the CPU lanes and not the motherboard ones, so it's the processor computing the lanes used, not the chipset on the motherboard (long discussion here)
This is the card I got.
This is the motherboard with the PCIe 4X where the card goes along with the NVMe drive.
By the way, is there any room to install an extra fan in that case? Just wondering.
Will keep this topic open in the meantime.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2018 11:00

Hi Criminalu,

I ordered the same system. Where would you add the Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD as a third storage device cause? Some photo would help? 

I only have 2x8GB DDR4 that are installed in alternate slots, there is an empty slot between them,

and would like to add 2x16GB DDR4. Should I move them next to each other, or to have 2x16GB interleaving the 2x8GB would have better performance?

Thanks,

Matthew

20 Posts

February 8th, 2018 15:00

Hi ejsm,
I installed the Samsung NVMe sdd on PCIe slot 4 with an adapter and worked from the first try, no messing around in BIOS.
To answer your question about RAM: - you ahve to make sure you will use the same kind of RAM as the one you have now, in order to be compatible. Move existing 8GB to be close together, either right or left, not in the center. So either slot 1 and 2, or slot 3 and 4. Install the new ram in the remaining 2 slots. There should be no issues as long as ALL ram is from the same manufacturer and has the same speed (2666 MHz - as example).

Koeven,
I finally got the machine. It shipped with BIOS 1.0.0.5.
Installed the NVMe with no issues on the adapter card and put it in PCIe x4 slot. It works at faster speeds than the one shipped by Dell, that is installed on the motherboard.
Drive S is the Samsung drive on PCIe x4, and drive C is the SSD shipped by Dell. There are 2 tests, one for a 1 GB, and a second one for 50 MB.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U1pWqOKPys1LleCb1f2F2VMJ0haweB7L/view?usp=sharing

1 Message

February 24th, 2018 12:00

Hi Criminalu. I have the same desktop and recently bought a 860 EVO with a PCIe x4 adapter, but I'm unable to get it working. Were there any steps you had to take besides just slotting the adapter in the PCIe slot?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

February 24th, 2018 15:00

Hi ejsm,

There is an error in the service manual. Memory should be installed in pairs that have similar colored securing clips (either white (DIMM1 & 2) or black(DIMM3 & 4)).  These paired slots are not adjacent to each other (see the picture of the motherboard in the service manual). Note also in the service manual the Table 2 (Memory configuration matrix) has the columns labeled incorrectly. The Note above the Table is also incorrect. 

25 Posts

February 25th, 2018 02:00

I posted here about my experience of upgrading the CPU cooler - it has made a huge difference to the noise levels from the PC when under load. The key issues are that you are very limited in choice of CPU cooler and you have to remove the motherboard to do the upgrade:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-How-I-Fixed-the-Noise-Issues/td-p/5650372

On my 8930 the OS was installed on the 256GB SSD. I wanted more SSD space and was originally going to replace the 256Gb with a 500Gb NVME. However, in the end I decided to go with a second SATA 3 connected Samsung 860 500Gb. That way i got the most SSD storage for the least cost.

I now have the OS and MS Office installed on the 256Gb and all my other software, such as games on the 500Gb drive.

In theory a m2 PCIe NVME drive is much faster than a SATA 3 connect SSD - but in practice I don't notice any real world difference in app start times etc.

20 Posts

February 26th, 2018 08:00

Hi Dezful,

I did not have any issues. It was just plug and play pretty much.
What exactly is the issue you are having?
This is what I bought:
Samsung Evo
M.2 Adapter
After I put the NVme on the adapter, I just placed the adapter on the PCIe slot, turned on the PC, went to BIOS and it was listed. In windows you have to manually enable and format the drive in Disk Management. Did you do that?
Let me know what's wrong...

20 Posts

February 26th, 2018 09:00

ghooper,
For some reason I don't have noise issues at all with my build of 8930. And I mean when it's full blown rendering 4k videos. CPU 100%, GPU 100%, over 32 Ram in use, one 7200 RPM HD and 2 NVme drives running at the same time. The only thing to mention is that I keep the case open :) - the pc sits flat on one side, the other side has the PSU at 45 degrees. I didn't buy this for the looks but performance.
To your second point, YES - you will not see any difference in apps starting, windows booting, because the SATA is 6GB/s and the sata drive you have is fast enough.
The only difference it makes that helps me a lot, is when working with large file sizes, over 1GB on a daily basis. Say you need to move files back and forth between drives every 15 minutes in a project, and you don't want to wait 15 minutes for the files to be read and written. On NVme drives, a 2.5GB file copy/paste is instantaneous (well... 0.5 seconds). Then you have ask yourself how often you that to see if it's worth the money :)

No Events found!