Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2019 12:00

XPS 8930, annoying buzzing noise from right side cover

I purchased an XPS 8930 less than a year ago, and I've had this very annoying problem since I've owned it. The right-side cover starts to buzz (probably from the vibrations of the PC) every few minutes and requires me to lightly push on the panel to stop it temporarily (it'll come back after a few minutes). The buzzing seems to come from the top portion of the cover which has about a millimeter or two of leeway. This sound has gotten on my nerves over the months and I'm trying to find a solution.

Is there any way to stop this noise?

2.5K Posts

August 17th, 2019 07:00

learn this too.

learn that if any motor in any fan or the fan are grossly out of balance,l

all PCs will make noise,

ever pluck a guitar string see the one next to it wiggle in sympathetic vibrations?

no PC on earth can hide the actions of a bad fan or motor

some PCs have 5 fans, and 1 HDD motor.

CPU, GPU, PSU,front and rear fans and HDD.

if a motor ;fan fails,  it can make direct noise and also sympathetic vibrations?

they can even telegraph , means move from one end to other and some other thing flimsy makes a racket, like the front bezel. even the silly DVD tray or its bezel, or even 1 lose screw anywhere there or clip .clamp.

ever see  license plate on car (loose ) make noise, ? sure. and so can a PC.

x2 this.

Personally, I think if you can't use a screw-driver you have no business getting inside it. :Smile:

2.5K Posts

August 17th, 2019 07:00

all you needed to do is push parts there with a finger to find the buzz cause, and location

asking the deaf here, is super hard, no harder problems exist than sounds, 

motor and fan noise,

the front bezel (plastic)  can crack or the tabs are not seated, I bet is your issue, why not push there first

you already pushed the side, panel. and no change.

location location location (repeat that 3 times) only that matters first. 

even  2 thing wrong, ,say

1 fan packed in lint and off balance and cause  panel to rattle.

or bad bearings same. in fact. or hdd super bad motor. 

learn to push things

learn to twist the case, by hand. learn to see of noise stops side off.

or if hdd removed it ends. check fans for excessive vibration.

any shop in town can find its, ask them> they do this all the time, (noise) it is a 100% hands on event..

texting how noise sounds , is not going to work , only ears live work and hands on actions work.

here.(there),  learn to move things and put pressure in all places on the case and win.

54 Posts

August 17th, 2019 11:00

In my instance, it was the rearmost HDD cage. Made sure that the cage was seated completely and tightened the screws. No more buzz. I should note that I had channeled cables through the void at the  the bottom of the cage side, and this kept the cage from seating as easily/cleanly as if the wires hadn't been in the way.

November 9th, 2019 10:00

I just received a new Dell XPS 8930 one week ago today.  It has the same annoying side panel vibration noise.  I put thin felt pads on the feet.  That didn't help.  I took the side panel off and put it back on a couple of times.  That didn't help.  Yesterday I took the side panel off and just left it off just to confirm that it is the side panel making the noise.  Yeah, it is the side panel.  Since the side panel has been off, it has been completely silent.  Next I plan to try to add some small thin adhesive backed felt pads at various locations to try to stop the noise.

It was nice to find comments here regarding this topic.  Now I know I'm not the only one with this problem.  Thanks to those posting.

• 

25K Posts

November 10th, 2019 09:00

Hi

We are still getting this reviewed, and will revert as soon as we have an update.

Arnab

• 

25K Posts

November 12th, 2019 12:00

Hi,

Is it possible to take a video of the issue and share it. So, that I can have it reviewed.

Also, I would request you to check if the noise from HDD caddy.

-Vivek

732 Posts

November 12th, 2019 21:00

It's a no brainer, things vibrate while touching something, stop that from happening...………..easy

• 

25K Posts

November 13th, 2019 09:00

Hi,

This is a follow-up message. Just checking if you are available so we can continue the conversation? In case you’re occupied, is it okay if I put this session on hold? You could get back to us anytime. We are available 24/7 for your assistance.

-Vivek

1 Message

December 25th, 2019 14:00

I have this exact same issue. I fully relate to Mark_Rob.

I've had my XPS 8930 pc for a little less than a year now. The constant buzzing noise has finally gotten to my nerves enough to register with the Dell community and say something about it on Christmas Day!

Any lasting solution found yet?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 25th, 2019 19:00

@montculapius    Any lasting solution found yet?

no buzz

27.JPG

1 Message

January 2nd, 2020 10:00

I had the same issue. Intermittent vibrations what would stop with just barely a touch to the outer case.

Mine started right out of the box. (after I plugged it in...)

I think I solved it by putting about 6 inches long of half inch wide foam, about 1/4 inch think.

I put it between the outer case and the inner metal case that it was vibrating against.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with this problem. 

732 Posts

January 2nd, 2020 21:00

No brainer fix...…..come on people!

No Events found!