Highlighted
pdoyle35
1 Nickel

XPS 8930, best 5.1 audio to Onkyo Receiver?

Best audio quality to play music stored on XPS 8930 through Onkyo HT-R510 receiver?  My XPS has standard green 2.0 audio output; but also says it has 5.0 output jacks. Best way to play pc music with the Onkyo? Onkyo has various inputs including digital optical and digital coax plus standard stereo RCA inputs.  I have Roku 2XS which can play music through its app; but don't know where the source music is coming from with multiple PCs and a router server.

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: best connection 5.1 audio to Onkyo Receiver?

Most PC Optical/SPDIF is only 2 channel stereo.   Best to go analog. 

From the Dell setup the 3 audio jacks on the rear I/O panel are used for 5.1.

Front L/R surround line-out port (Left, light gray jack)
Connect audio-output devices such as speakers and amplifiers. In a 2.1 speaker channel setup, connect the left and right speakers. In a 5.1 or a 7.1 speaker channel setup, connect the front-left and front-right speakers.

Rear L/R surround port (Middle Black jack)
Connect audio-output devices such as speakers and amplifiers. In a 5.1 speaker channel setup, connect the rear-left and rear-right speakers.

Center/subwoofer LFE surround port (Right, Yellow, jack)
Connect the subwoofer.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@pdoyle35 wrote:

1. Best audio quality to play music stored on XPS 8930 through Onkyo HT-R510 receiver? 

2. My XPS has standard green 2.0 audio output; but also says it has 5.0 output jacks. Best way to play pc music with the Onkyo? Onkyo has various inputs including digital optical and digital coax plus standard stereo RCA inputs.  

1. Normally, I would say HDMI ... but the Onkyo HT-R510 is too old to support it. If this is a "Home Theater" setup, I would seriously consider upgrading this AVR.

2. I would go Optical or Coax SPDIF. That will give you :
- Digital PCM 2.1 channels (that can usually be matrix-ed out to a simulated 5.1 by the AVR) 
- Digital Bitstream 5.1 DD/DTS (like from a real DVD).

Click my name and look at my pics. 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Optical gives the best sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Adapter-Support/dp/B06XW7HYBP

Otherwise you use USB to 5.1 and a bunch of analog cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/

https://support.creative.com/manuals/welcome.aspx?prodID=20055&prodName=Sound%20Blaster%20X-Fi%20Sur...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos