Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2020 16:00

XPS 8930, bluetooth disappeared

I noticed the system BIOS updated itself recently from 1.1.12 to 1.1.13. Then I found my bluetooth kbd and mouse not working anymore. I reinstalled Qualcomm Wifi/bluetooth driver. No use. Device manager does not see any bluetooth adapter.

I downloaded the previous version of the BIOS 1.1.12 and reinstalled it. Still not seeing bluetooth adapter in device manager. More that the system insisted on upgrading BIOS to latest 1.1.13.

Does anybody have the same problems, bluetooth disappearing? It happened between 3/26 to 3/27. It was working and suddenly not working any more.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 9th, 2020 16:00

@Wyatt_M  Assuming you have an XPS 8930, do you have the latest Bluetooth driver?  I have an XPS 8930 with that driver and not having BT issues.

Try this:

1. Shut system down normally
  2. Unplug AC power cord from rear of PC
  3. Press power button for ~10-15 sec
  4. Power system on 
  5. Open Device Manager
  6. See if the Bluetooth card is listed and if its device status is "...working properly"
  7. If not, right-click>Uninstall all Unknown USB Device(s) or Bluetooth device(s) marked with yellow bang (!)
  8. On toolbar, click Action>Scan for hardware changes. The Bluetooth driver should be installed
  9. Reboot

2 Posts

December 9th, 2020 16:00

Dell - I am beyond words with frustration over this issue with my computer.  You have replaced this Qualcomm card three times and got me to replace it once.  You have replaced the motherboard on my computer and yet this issue persists.  The kicker to this issue is that every time I send the unit into your depot, you call me and tell me the front bezel is broken and it is Out of Warranty.  I told the agent the first time they were full of it and she said they would repair it.  Three weeks later after my unit is shipped back to you, they same thing is pulled again on me????

What are you trying to pull on your customers Dell repair?  Are you rated on how much extra work you can get a customer to pay for, when they cannot see if the bezel is broken?  I told them to forget it as I would not pay the $278 to replace a piece of plastic that they 'repaired' two weeks before!

Now to the real issue...the Bluetooth Qualcomm card that seems to not work since the latest bios update and that YOU refuse to acknowledge.

All I am asking is that you fix my computer as it states in your warranty to fix defective parts or engineering.

I am so tired of calling support and having them perform the same troubleshooting steps over and over again in the hopes that somehow some magic pixie dust hast gotten into my unit and fixed the issue.

I have been more than reasonable in my expectations of fixing this and am tired of being nice and waiting for Level 2 supervisors to call me back to discuss this issue.

PLEASE FIX MY COMPUTER! ! ! or its to the junk heap and off to HP...but not until I call every week until the warranty runs out in 1 year from now!

14 Posts

December 9th, 2023 19:56

@Tim202003228​ I can confirm that this works, and that unplugging for a few minutes is an essential step.

For clarity, the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" is what you'll see in the Device Manager, under the USB section. You'll see the same kind of message if you use Dell SupportAssist to run a hardware test on your machine prior to the fix - apparently SupportAssist is unaware of the driver issue.

1 Message

December 21st, 2023 02:27

My Dell 8930 lost Bluetooth connection. I followed these instructions: Go to Device Manager and uninstalled the Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). When I then did a Scan for Hardware Changes, the Bluetooth appeared in Device Manager. This quickly resolved the issue. Works perfectly for me with no issues.

No Events found!