Unsolved

Closed

J

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2023 10:00

XPS 8930, cannot install BIOS 1.1.29

XPS 8930

XPS 8930

Can't load BIOS XPS8930_1.1.29.exe -> CRITICAL by dell systchk; XPS8930_1.1.23 no-load too

March 29th, 2023 07:00

Finally got it updated in the cconventional "auto install" via SupportAssist. Seems my bios was several versions old so had to progressively update. I finally updated SupportAssist & it's analysis successfully installed the latest. My next step if it had failed was per your suggestion above, which I had found in earlier searches but had never done before. My delay resulted from not having a blank flash drive at the moment. Thanks for all your help. I new see flashing the BIOS is a best XPS 8930 approach. Thanks VM & Have a GREAT day!  Joe

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2023 12:00

How did you attempt this update, using Dell Update/SupportAssist or just manually inside Windows? If you have Windows 11 22H2 with Cumulative Update KB5019980 installed, that might be part of the problem.

It's always safer to do BIOS updates entirely outside Windows, using the F12 Flash Update option. Follow the Installation Instructions for "Updating the BIOS from BIOS Boot Menu (independent of operating system)".

You need a (non-bootable) 2-GB USB stick, formatted FAT32.  Download the BIOS 1.1.29 .exe file onto that USB. Then do a normal power-off shutdown (not a Restart from inside Windows).

With that USB plugged in, power on and tap F12 to open the menu. Select the Flash Update option. When that opens use Tab key to move through the boxes. You shouldn't have to change anything, just highlight/select the BIOS update file listed in the middle/right box. Confirm that current and new BIOS info are both correct at the top, and then launch the update.

PC will shut down and restart several times. It may look like it's not doing anything and/or pauses. Just leave it alone until it's safely back at your desktop.

isGoodTroubleshooting

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 29th, 2023 11:00

Glad you got it sorted, but IMO you took a big risk doing sequential BIOS updates using SupportAssist. 

From now on, just use the F12 Flash Update option with a 2-GB USB stick to minimize the potential for failure...

No Events found!