Mr King
1 Nickel

XPS 8930, change the boot order

Jump to solution

Using Acronis, I cloned my fast SSD to an internal HD so that when the SSD fails, I will still have a bootable, working machine. I have been doing this for years. But now that I've upgraded my machine to a new XPS 8930,  Windows Boot Manager puts the original SSD fourth in the list and the cloned drive is first. I can boot to the SSD by hitting F12 during the boot and then selecting the SSD, but of course that is both slower & annoying! How can I tell Boot Manager to place the SSD first?   [NOTE:  While I am not a total noob, the information at      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/changing-the-default-boot-entry      was beyond me.]

THANK YOU!!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Cloned SSD to backup drive; default now boots to backup!

Jump to solution

I use "Easy BCD"  it will allow you to configure the Boot order on a multi-boot system.  Just watch for any unwanted software (uncheck) during install.  

https://easybcd.en.softonic.com/

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Vic384
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Or you can try the change to Advanced system setting that was suggested here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8920-HDD-boot-priority/m-p/6097122#M12998

0 Kudos
Mr King
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The solution you suggested probably works fine for a system booting two different OSs, but both my drives are identical, so Win 10 is the only option which shows up, so there's no selection possible. 

I thought about it some more, and decided my best option was to open the case and simply unplug power from the cloned drive so the computer can't boot from it.  While aggravating to have to open the case every time I back up the C: drive, I typically only do that a only a couple times a year - depending on how often I make significant changes to my system's programs.  Of course, it does run a bit cooler and quieter without the fourth drive operating, and it also prolongs the life of the back-up drive since it isn't spinning all those hours.  Also, I expect it reduces the chance the back-up drive will die at the same time my main drive dies, since the back-up is now isolated from power line anomalies when it's unplugged. 

All said, while it's annoying to deal with, the pop-off cover design really makes it pretty simple, and I suppose the benefits more than offset the aggravation.  So even though I didn't find a solution in adjusting the windows or BIOS settings, let's consider this one "solved". 

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

The solution is to make a "disc image" (backup) of the comlpete disc, all partitions, NOT a Clone.  Then you won't have two bootable discs.  

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

7- Thorium

Jump to solution

What drive letter is assigned to the clone and what letter is assigned to the SSD?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Cbarnhorst
2 Iron

Jump to solution

You're supposed to disconnect the original and reboot after cloning.  You can then reconnect the original and remove it as a boot device from the BCD file.

0 Kudos
Mr King
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks, Cbarnhorst.  I did the first part of that on my own - seemed like an easy, logical solution.  But I have no idea how to "remove it as a boot device from the BCD file".  Perchance do you know where I would find instructions on that procedure?

0 Kudos
Mr King
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Fireberd, That sounds like a great idea, but leaves me a bit perplexed.  The whole point was to have a bootable disc - albeit held in reserve - so that I can boot from it when the main boot drive fails.  I am thinking if I do a disc image backup it can easily be made bootable (?) but if that is true, I don't know how to accomplish that task.  Could  you explain that process to me or perhaps point me to a resource?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

@Mr King wrote:

1. The whole point was to have a bootable disc - albeit held in reserve - so that I can boot from it when the main boot drive fails. 

2. I am thinking if I do a disc image backup it can easily be made bootable (?) but if that is true, I don't know how to accomplish that task.  

1. Not really a good idea. It's better to Image your whole system (or maybe just the C: drive) to a Image-File (with Verify on). It's your whole working drive "in a time capsule" if you will. You can store it (or even move it) where-ever you want until you need it.

2. Not really. In the case of Macrium Reflect ... you would boot with the Macrium Rescue FlashDrive and tell it to restore the image-file to your C: drive. In a matter of minutes, the drives will be reverted back to the exact way they were when you created it. It can even be done against "a bare metal system" which means all the drives are working, but completely blank.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos