Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 18th, 2018 12:00

XPS 8930, drives upgrade options

What's the drive upgrade compatibility like in the 8930, regular "New XPS Tower" edition? I want to add a 2.5-inch SSD and 3.5-inch hard drive in the future. Will I simply be able to slide both of those into slots inside the computer?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also should've mentioned the PC will be purchased with a singular 500GB PCIe SSD, that's it.

14 Posts

September 11th, 2018 18:00

Where do you configure the drive, under "Disk Management" Windows 10 or in the BIOS on boot up? I haven't got the drive yet but planing it out -Thanks

732 Posts

September 12th, 2018 08:00

In disk management. Format it and then give it a drive letter. The bios will follow suit.

14 Posts

September 13th, 2018 08:00

I appreciate your answers Mr 546insp.  I have been noticing my computer doesn't go to sleep. Since I have only had my XPS 8930 for 2 weeks I called Dell, after 67 minutes of remote support they want to do a fresh Windows install, I told them to hold off. Researching I found one can run the command "powercfg /requests" at the CMD line that tells you when it is idle and ready for sleep. For the computer to go to sleep all 6 power parameters must be "none" What I found is Chrome is OK until I open my Yahoo mail then it's busy. Then I tested Microsoft Edge and it had something else from Microsoft that kept it from sleeping. Do you have problems with your computer not sleeping?  My old laptop stopped sleeping with the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade, I thought it was an upgrade / driver problem, now I'm thinking it's more of a global problem. 

You can check if Chrome (or any program) is using any power requests by opening a Command Prompt with Administrator privileges, and then run the following command: (for sleep to work must all be"None")
powercfg /requests

Power_cfg.PNG

732 Posts

September 13th, 2018 14:00

First your picture is not showing. I had that problem with this 8920 and with the 8500 I had. If you go into power options and to hybrid and other sleeping options they need to be checked correctly. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly but I think you uncheck hybrid sleep, also in the bios there is something that needs to be checked that said allow sleep or something like that (you can find it) which also needs to be checked properly. Maybe someone will chime in with the correct procedure on those 2 required moves.

November 4th, 2018 18:00

@546insp wrote:

I have seen posts on NVME drives not showing up and not using their full read/write potential when they got them to work. Mine new NVME in my 8920 never did show up anywhere and I sent it back. The sata m.2 drives in these 8900 series units are never a problem.

I'm a bit of an XPS aficionado owning the 8100-8930(no 8910-20) Dell XPS models.  I support this bad habit by upgrading and re-purposing older Dell/HP desktops.

My 8900 and 8930 had no problem recognizing the NVME  SSDs.  As a matter of fact, after migrating the operating system(Windows 10 Pro) from its position in the M2 slot  via a GLOTRENDS NVME to pcie adapter to a Samsung 970 Pro I used the OEM NVME drive in the M2 slot in the 8900.  Loaded the operating system and the NVME driver and it(the 8900) booted up just fine.

4 Posts

December 30th, 2018 21:00

Do you have a picture showing the holes for a 2.5 ssd?

14 Posts

December 31st, 2018 18:00

What holes are  you talking about? There is 2 drive bays,  a couple of screws attach the drive to the bay. Look up the service manual for the 8930, it's on line and will show

1 Message

January 3rd, 2019 17:00

Hi, my new 8930 has a NVMe as its only drive in the M2 slot, if i want to add a Samsung EVO 970 as my secondary drive, will this install directly into an existing PCIe slot or will i need an adapter?

14 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 19:00

I don't think it will install directly into an existing PCIe slot, I couldn't find anyone who has done it. I could be wrong.

732 Posts

January 6th, 2019 13:00

No holes for that, just 3 holes for the full size drives.

1 Message

August 1st, 2019 16:00

Actually, they do install easily! the outside of the drive tray has 4 holes punched and marked for 3MX5 screws. I bought them at Ace for 33 cents each. The drives screws down to the bottom inside of the tray with the connectors sticking up above the edge. 

No Events found!