Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 8930, excessive fan noise

My computer has had very loud fan noise on intermittent occasions.  A Dell technician replaced all of the fans which corrected the situation for a while, but then it returned with a vengeance. A support agent ran a diagnostic check on the computer hardware and found no problems. The noise seemed to occur when I had Chrome opened but this too was not consistent. And the noise grow louder as the core temperature of the processor increased. Closing some applications would reduce the temperature and the noise.

I finally ran a Windows application called SFC /scannow. This application is designed to check the system files for errors and make corrections. When finished, it reported finding and corrected several faulty  system files.

I'm happy to report that since then the noise has not reoccurred for more than a week despite some heavy usage. I can open several browser windows at a time, and run Photoshop and Lightroom, including working on images  without hearing any fan noise. The processor temperature seems to remain constant at about 46 degrees C.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: XPS 8930, excessive fan noise

The wonders never cease around here.

GK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

@GKDesigns   The wonders never cease around here.

Ain't that the truth . . . a software fix for a hardware/mechanical/physical problem  🤐

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@Dell630i 

Ain't that the truth . . . a software fix for a hardware/mechanical/physical problem  

Well, that is actually not uncommon... think industrial control systems where software is used extensively to control everything including abnormal problems.  Sometimes, a software fix can save a physical system from being a total failure/lose.

However, the OP's experience is unique and unusual and not typical and everything else.  And frankly, I think I'd rather just swap some fans... more fun!  🙂

GK

0 Kudos