Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2019 11:00

XPS 8930, freezes for 3-5 seconds

I also have an XPS 8930 purchased on May 1 2019 that is freezing in the same way (mouse pointer and keyboard freezes for 3-5 seconds once every hour or so). There is nothing in the event log. It has done this since it was purchased. I was hoping there would be a software fix by now.

19 Posts

October 23rd, 2019 11:00

as posted in the other thread,

I too stopped Dell SupportAssist Remediation in Task Manager, Services, and the freezes have been gone for a week.

I started them running again today and the freezes were back in several hours.

I have an 8930se, i7-9700k, which is about a year old, the freezes did not come with the computer but began last spring.

I have been following these threads all summer looking for a simple solution, I have not tried any of the others.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 24th, 2019 08:00

Well, It's been a LONG while since I had any freezes since I disabled "Dell Support Assist Remediation Service" and my Reliability History has increased 3 fold to almost 10 days. Today I get a message that Support Assist wants to run so I click, run. It looked like it was working but it eventually just dies. So I re-enabled "Dell Support Assist Remediation Service" (run automatically delayed, start) and rebooted and tried again and it worked just fine. So that is at least one Dell program that depends on that service. Interesting enough was that Support Assist wanted to do two driver updates (one to the bluetooth and one to the SSD) which I found odd as Dell Update never found those. Add to that I wanted to manually update the SSD and the latest driver said it was already up to date.

Anyway, it worked and I am going back to disabling  "Dell Support Assist Remediation Service" and live my life as normal, but that was a 100% fix for me. I can always re-enable it when I need (want) to.

79 Posts

October 24th, 2019 17:00

Hi @Alan K. 

I just disabled EVERY Dell service and app ... lol

358 Posts

October 25th, 2019 09:00

Some time ago, one of the @DELL-Cares reps, promised to look into the issues that Customers were identifying (within this thread).

There has been considerable concurrence that certain Dell-produced Apps are suspect - it would be very good if they could live up to they promise & provide they essential follow-up!

Regards,

John-Jay!

358 Posts

October 26th, 2019 23:00

Presumably prompted by my previous Post, @DELL-Cares have now started sending myself Private Messages again (having ignored the queries/information that I have sent them for nearly four weeks).

Needless to say, they still have not responded to those queries/information that I sent them, but simply want myself to re-install Windows (even though they are unable to provide any assurances over the safety of my Data).

Furthermore, they are ADAMANT that they are NOT any "Known-Issues" with any Dell Apps - effectively stating that Disabling/Removing any Dell Apps will have any impact on any Issues - DESPITE all evidence to the contrary provided by the Posters here & DESPITE the published "History" of problems associated with Dell Support Assist Remediation Service! 

I would also add that I have also sent them some Error-Reports that would "appear" to suggest that I do have some Hardware Issues - without mentioning these Reports, Dell have simply restated that I do NOT have any Hardware Issues!

Needless to say, this does NOT inspire myself with confidence over Dell!

Regards,

John-Jay

3 Posts

October 27th, 2019 07:00

Didn't work for me.....

3 Posts

October 27th, 2019 09:00

I have even completely disabled the NIC and am running wireless and it still freezes every hour like clockwork.

3 Posts

October 27th, 2019 09:00

I tired disabling the Dell remediation service and that didn't work. Tried changing the NIC driver from Riveted to MS and that didn't work either. 

358 Posts

October 27th, 2019 16:00

Hi, @petegkc ,

Sorry that wasn't the solution for your problems!

All I can suggest is that you read through various suggestions that other Posters have suggested (particularly those that have indicated various ways of monitoring your PC), to see if we can norrow down the cause of your problem!

Regards,

John-Jay

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 27th, 2019 16:00

@petegkc- Did you disable ALL Dell software, not just the Remediation Service?

1 Message

October 28th, 2019 09:00

I never use Firefox, and I'm experiencing those freezes constantly.

November 6th, 2019 07:00

So finally, I believe my issue is resolved.  I've been running several days now without freeze.

For me the solution was to disable Hard drive from turning off in power management.  This was also mentioned in the other thread regarding freezes as a solution ( I cross posted similar message in that thread):

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-constant-freeze/m-p/7408878#M28503 

The post prior to mine mentions this also resolved issue for  @tse991 

So, for some of us, something else is clearly going on.  BTW - This hard drive shows no issues in any tests.

It is an HGST NAS drive.

8 Posts

November 15th, 2019 17:00

Cannot find a solution.  My computer (8910) is set for max performance.  All Dell software is removed. NDIS warning in logs whenever I get a 3-7 second freeze. It comes back but many times other things are messed up.  If I am working on music, there is suddenly no sound, causing me to restart my audio device.

This ONLY happened after a Windows 10 update several weeks ago.  I cannot figure out, however, what that update actually did.  And I cannot narrow it down to which one.

November 15th, 2019 19:00

For me the Intel RST driver was causing the problem.  I don't have a RAID configuration.  

In my non-RAID case, problem had 2 work arounds that got me going problem free.

1) In power plan set hard drive to never turn off

or

2) Replace the Intel driver for IDE ATA/ATAPI controller with the windows Standard SATA AHCI Controller

Select Update Driver 

Select Browse Computer for driver Software

Select the Standard SATA AHCI Controller

I ended up on 2 because I wanted hard drive to spin down

2.5K Posts

November 16th, 2019 08:00

ROHE

this is a great post.!!!!!

even better, to prove it would be

grab a spare 128GB $20 uses SSD,  vast exists, now, have stacks of them here, I use them like cheap floppies of days gone by.

install fresh windows 10 from Microsoft only, using the USB builder only, and install that and run for 30 days free.

see it does work 100% with all sleep Bs turned off. see it does !!!!

and proves what is wrong. (if the bloat ware fails end the bloat, even just a simple tests like above)

then steal your self and not run 50 apps loaded in one day, with silly 50 apps doing 50 updates per day, gee.

GOOD LUCK with MR BLOATWare  AND ALL that magic endless update junk, (with zero throttles on it!) IMO

No Events found!