Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: XPS 8930, freezes for 3-5 seconds

Jump to solution

Just to add, I also get a similar occurrence - keyboard/mouse locking up, for a few seconds, every so often!

Took delivery on 9th July 2019!

Regards

ps:- I have NOT yet updated to BIOS 1.1.8 (wanted to check out the "Scare-Stories" BEFORE I committed myself to that route)!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Something I suggested in that other thread on this same topic which worked for at least a couple of those users was:

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the USB Wake Support option in the Power Options area of BIOS. Make sure USB Wake Support is ENABLED. Save the change, but do not change anything else in BIOS setup. Exit BIOS setup.

When PC reboots, open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and click its Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all root hubs.

Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and uncheck that same box for any HID entry that has a Power Management tab. Exit Device Manager when done.

Next, open the Windows Power options screen and identify your active Power plan. Click the link to change its settings and on next screen click link for Additional Options. On that screen, disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep, disable USB Selective Suspend, and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

See if that helps. None of these changes is irreversible so there's no harm in trying them. Post back and let us know what happens...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have had this problem since I bought my XPS 8930 in July 2018. I finally solved the problem last week when I updated the chipset driver as per supportAssist. This has always been a great computer and now I'm 100% thrilled with it now that that glitch is finally gone.... Gary

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

After reading a lot of stuff I went to last post (your post) did the chip-set update and problem fixed. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

@Joachim77 

We are just community members trying to figure out a solution.......

BTW,  updating drivers is part of the troubleshooting process for any number of issues that can cause a freeze.

Dell just came with the new driver for the chipset you are using.  Driver is dated 11/06/19.  

Glad it fixed your issues and thanks for the update......but not for your remarks as a lot of time was put in by a lot of community members.  

Intel Chipset Device Software Driver

Version: 10.1.18019.8144 ,A08

Last Updated Date: 06 Nov 2019

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-freezes-for-3-5-seconds/m-p/7382778/highlight/t...

For required hardware drivers, W10 will often install a generic driver that Dell has supposedly tested.  Dell will then issue a driver update once a new Windows build is out if an update is necessary.
Check the website to see if any of these updates are newer than the date of your Windows 10 build.
v 1809:  10/10/18
v 1903:  5/10/19

Intel Chipset Device Driver (typically installed first)
Intel Management Engine Interface Driver
Intel Serial IO Driver
Realtek Audio Driver
Qualcomm QCA1x4A QCA9377 WiFi and Bluetooth Driver
Intel UHD Graphics Driver
Killer E2400/2500 Giagabit Ethernet Controller Driver
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console (optional)

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Glad people are resolving their issues

But, doesn't the update package mentioned in these posts only include inf files?

If true, I'm not sure how this resolves the issue as inf files are not hardware drivers .  

Are people running/installing subsequent update(s) *after* the inf files are installed that are installing additional hardware driver updates?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

In January 2020 I bought a Dell XPS 8930 and also experienced these annoying freezes lasting a few seconds and making a noise resembling the HD briefly spinning up. Looked for a remedy, and stumbled upon this forum.
I only opted for the least intrusive fix reported here - changing the startup type for Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service from Automatic (Delayed start) to Manual. I can confirm that these annoying hiccups are gone ever since. Why after at least 6 months of reporting this problem here, Dell hasn't done anything to fix it is beyond me.

* Press Windows key + R
* Type services.msc [press Enter or click OK]
* Find and open Dell SupportAssist Remediation
* Change Startup type: to Manual
* Click Apple- OK
* Restart the PC when done

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

@Petoetje 
"I bought a Dell XPS 8930 and also experienced these annoying freezes lasting a few seconds and making a noise resembling the HD briefly spinning up. Looked for a remedy, and stumbled upon this forum.
I only opted for the least intrusive fix reported here - changing the startup type for Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service from Automatic (Delayed start) to Manual. I can confirm that these annoying hiccups are gone ever since. Why after at least 6 months of reporting this problem here, Dell hasn't done anything to fix it is beyond me.

* Press Windows key + R
* Type services.msc [press Enter or click OK]
* Find and open Dell SupportAssist Remediation
* Change Startup type: to Manual
* Click Apple- OK
* Restart the PC when done"

This advice seems to work without being too drastic.  Thanks!

Note that you can use Ctrl-Alt-Del and drill down through Task Manager\Services to monitor and manage the culprit service, Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service.

Dell needs to remediate their Remediation Service!  Customers don't want their computer locking up every hour.  Dumb, Mr. Dell.

Edit:  See https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/Uninstalling-Dell-Update-for-Windows-10-using-Revo-Unins...

GK

View solution in original post

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This absolutely fixes the problem. I have reported this issue to Dell.  Seems they would get this fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you! I spent three weeks trying to solve this issue. You think they would test things better!

0 Kudos