Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

63 Posts

March 17th, 2019 09:00

XPS 8930, hangs on Restart, boots fine on Cold Boot

I have been dealing with Dell over an issue I am having with my Dell xps 8930 and still can't get it fixed, so I thought I"d post here.   I'll start with the issue.   Everything is fine when starting the computer from a cold boot, no issues at all with any software or devices.    But,  in the event I want to or have to do a restart because of for example a software update or windows update.   The system show the "Restarting" logo, then the screen goes dark,  the power light stays on the system and it seems like at that point, the system just hangs,  I can do nothing,  no Keyborad, no mouse and no video.    I have only the onboard Video,  NO ad on video care is installed.  So, first I attempted to use just a standard HDMI cable to the monitor,   then Dell said try the Display port, so,  I ordred a display port cable and the issue has not changed.    But,  If I hold the power button, do a hard shutdown and restart the computer cold boot... no Problem...  everything work. 

We made sure the Bios was up to date now at 1.1.4,  and all the drivers are up to date. 

The system is the new 8086 I7 processor,  32gb RAM  a 512GB Intel m.2 SSD as the Boot drive,   there is a 2nd SSD installed on a Star Tech PCMCIAe adapter and installed in a x4 Pcmcie slot on the mother board and a 2TB SATA HDD as a data drive.  All drives work just fine when system cold boots and there does not show any conflicts at all.  I can use the 2nd SSD at my Audio Drive to store my Cuebase or pro tools projects.

I want to again specify, that everything works fine,  ad all devices are working when I do a cold boot.   It is only under a "Restart"  or "Restart and update"  that the system is hanging and I suspect it is stalling on boot.   

I"ll start with this info and see if anyone has run in to this issue... and I can provide other info if needed .

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 17th, 2019 11:00

@davidk1952 wrote:

I want to again specify, that everything works fine,  ad all devices are working when I do a cold boot.   It is only under a "Restart"  or "Restart and update"  that the system is hanging and I suspect it is stalling on boot.   

Try turning-off "Fast-Startup" in Windows ... and then Restarts and ShutDown/Cold-Boots should be the same.

Since you boot from SSD, you should not really notice a difference.

63 Posts

March 17th, 2019 18:00

I think I have fast start turned off.... but after getting out today I may have found what the issue is...

When I bought the system I had an Intel 1TB ssd installed as "c" boot drive with the OS on it,  I then had the 2TB HDD as a data drive... I installed the 2nd Samsung SSD.....

Today I found a Firmware update for the Intel SSD, and the 2nd item under fixes is the same problem I am having with regards to reboot.....   now the challenge is going to try to install the new firmware, I tried today but because it is not seeing the SSD on Reboot... the firmware update does not seem to be installing.     I have sent all the information to the Pro Tech Guy from Dell that I am working with....  Hopefully he has a way to do the firmware update.

I have posted this firmware update for others here to see in the event they have the same issue I have...

DaveIntel Firmware update information.JPG

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 18th, 2019 12:00

Just a couple of stabs in the dark...

Can you put the SSD firmware update on a bootable USB stick and run it from there?

Or maybe put this SSD in another PC as a secondary, non-boot drive, and update its firmware there?

17 Posts

March 20th, 2019 11:00

I had issues from day ONE with my XPS 8930 which is just 3 weeks old. The first issue was that the rear USB-C port would not work. I eventually got it working by only using ONE of the rear USB 3.1 ports. I was ok with that but not happy. This weekend, I ran the Dell Support Assist app & it said I had a BIOS update to 1.1.4 from 1.1.3 to do and I figured that may solve the issue with the rear USB-C port. I was WRONG! After the BIOS update, the computer did not recognize the Bluetooth adapter NOR did the rear USB-C port work. Dell sent a technician out today & replaced the MB and now everything 'seems' to be functioning as it should. 

However, the BIOS version is 1.1.2 and I am afraid to update it! My rig: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 8-Core Processor Killer 1535 driver GeForce(R) GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory M.2 512GB PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive 32GB, DDR4, 2666MHz Integrated with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 BDRE Drive Windows 10 Pro, 64bit English

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 20th, 2019 14:00

You should have started a new thread since your issue is unrelated to the issue in this thread.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 20th, 2019 14:00

@jrotten wrote:

I had issues from day ONE with my XPS 8930 which is just 3 weeks old. The first issue was that the rear USB-C port would not work. I eventually got it working by only using ONE of the rear USB 3.1 ports. I was ok with that but not happy. This weekend, I ran the Dell Support Assist app & it said I had a BIOS update to 1.1.4 from 1.1.3 to do and I figured that may solve the issue with the rear USB-C port. I was WRONG! After the BIOS update, the computer did not recognize the Bluetooth adapter NOR did the rear USB-C port work. Dell sent a technician out today & replaced the MB and now everything 'seems' to be functioning as it should. 

However, the BIOS version is 1.1.2 and I am afraid to update it! My rig: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 8-Core Processor Killer 1535 driver GeForce(R) GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory M.2 512GB PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive 32GB, DDR4, 2666MHz Integrated with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2 BDRE Drive Windows 10 Pro, 64bit English

Very impolite to jump into somebody else's thread with a totally unrelated problem.

Nobody is forcing you to update BIOS but read the details about BIOS 1.1.3 and 1.1.4. Since you have an i7-9700 you may want to update because support for the i7-9700 was enhanced in 1.1.3. BIOS updates are supposed to be cumulative so you should be able to go directly from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4. 

Read Dell's policy about BIOS update failures. And then if you decide to update BIOS, do it manually. Don't let SupportAssist manage the update for you. Download the file onto your desktop and follow the instructions on that page carefully to run the update, with the added suggestion that you disable your anti-viral suite before launching the update.

EDIT: @Vic384 - I got to start typing faster than you! :Whisper:

17 Posts

March 21st, 2019 06:00

Impolite?

Well, excuuuuuse me.

63 Posts

March 22nd, 2019 04:00

Well,  after days of trying to do my updates and the system was not "Rebooting"  with out a hard start the guy at dell said, lets try removing the StarTech adapter and 2nd SSD out of the system and see what that does...   Bingo.... I was able to do all the updates to the Intel SSD,  my bios and other updates to the system... .I thought how stupid of me not thinking of taking the adapter and the 2nd SSD out (samsung 970 M2 Pcie)  ... Oh well...  But,

After the updates to the system, Bios and Intel SSD firmware I re inserted the StarTech PCIE x4 adapter andn the Samsung SSD on it and I"m back to square one... everything looks fine until I do a "Restart or a Reboot"  Cold Boots work just fine....  

So Talking with Startech, they have me remove the 2nd SSD off the PCIE card and just insert the card.... Bingo!  It works, so there is something with the 2nd SSD in the system that causes it to hang on a Reboot or restart! 

I've sent questions and up dates to Dell and to StarTech asking for suggestions and hope there is something that can be done with hit. 

Now for what would you think that if this thing all works well, other than the reboot,  issue would you feel safe using it... I can always do a shut down and cold boot, it works everytime....    but is that going to lead in to some real issues down the road? 

Thanks for any suggestions you may have for me.. .

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 11:00

I suggest you only have ONE M.2/PCIe/NVMe Interface in the system. Notice how you never really see (working) systems with two of them?

That would be the one on the XPS-8930 Motherboard, with the  512GB Intel m.2/PCIe/NVMe SSD inserted (as the C: Boot drive) .

Other SSD or HDD should be SATA-based. That should be fine. SATA-3/600 based 2.5inch SSDs are fast enough for large-games and data files.

63 Posts

March 22nd, 2019 16:00

Thallium,,  Thanks for your comment,  and your right, I"ve not seen systems sold with 2 NVME SSD's on the market but,  I"ve not seen any reports, reviews or threads that have shown issues... So,  when I ordered the system originally I did order it with a 1tb ssd in as drive c for the OS and Programs,  I did order a 2TB 7200 rpm Sata to store audio projects.  In my research, Startech offers a x4pcie slot that holds a NVME SSD,  it seems they sell quite a few of them and I've not seen any negative posts on that card yet.  

The system actually boots just fine from a cold boot,  and,  I've had the 2nd SSD in the system since the first of the year where It would only show any issues on a reboot.  When the problem started to show up and I contacted Dell I was told that it was my HDMI cable ( I only have the onboard video, no add on card)... then when the new HDMI cable didn't solve the problem they said, well, you need to get a display cable which I did and that didn't fix the issue they thought it had. 

Comment about not having 2 NVME m.2 SSD's in the system, but, although the ssd is an NMVE m.2 ssd it is actually placed in the StarTech PCIE adapter so I am not sure how that is considered because at that point the connection is on the PCIE buss.      Again,  Other than a reboot - restart issue, the system is a screamer with the 2nd ssd as an audio drive. 

The system is in a recording studio, it is running a multi-track DAW set up with either ProTools or Cubase 10.  The software is running fine,  the system is recording and playing back the audio on the system with no problem.  We typically are running 24+tracks during a session,  the faster audio drive just makes the system crank!

So, saying that, if you have specifics of issues pertaining to 2 NVME SSD m.2 SSD's installed in a system please point me to it.  Dell acknowledges the issue, and is looking in to how the Boot chain is different than the cold boot... again, Cold boot,  No issue... 

Hope that better identifies the issue at hand.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 17:00

Did you check the boot sequence in BIOS setup to make sure that second SSD isn't listed?

Any chance they could "lend" you a new SSD to test if that one has the same problem?

Open the Windows Power options screen. Identify the active plan and click the link to change its settings. On next screen, click link for Additional Options.

On that screen, disable Hybrid Sleep and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot. Does that help?

EDIT: You may have to shut down normally and do a cold boot and then a warm reboot after using PC for a while to see if this helps because the changes to the Power plan may not be enabled until after the first reboot, which in this case would have to be a shutdown/cold boot.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2019 19:00

@davidk1952 wrote:

The system is in a recording studio, it is running a multi-track DAW set up with either ProTools or Cubase 10.  The software is running fine,  the system is recording and playing back the audio on the system with no problem.  We typically are running 24+tracks during a session,  the faster audio drive just makes the system crank!

This could still be accomplished with the solution I suggested. SATA-3/600 is still very fast and IOPS are crazy high. Only the current DAW file(s) would be accessed there ... having a whole SATA-channel to itself.

If there is a requirement for the DAW scratch/work disk to be PCIe/NVMe ... the Intel-NVMe-512gb-SSD could be re-partitioned into C: and D:  .

And for a recording studio, I would have went with a Precision Workstation or custom build (made by a company that specializes in DAW machines).

12 Posts

June 12th, 2019 18:00

I think I'm running in to this exact same problem.  I received my alienware m15 yesterday.  Before even turning it on for the first time, I installed a 1TB NVME SSD in the extra slot.  I booted it up, everything started normal.  Formatted the drive and it works like a charm.  Unfortunately, everytime I click restart, the laptop hangs at a black screen, the keyboard is still lit up, and it just sits there until I force shutdown.  

Was there ever a good solution for this?  Really frustrating!  I do not want to have to take out the NVME SSD.  As a side note, I just upgraded from an alienware 15 R3 in which I did the exact same thing, and it had no issues restarting.

7 Posts

July 1st, 2019 20:00

I have an 8930.  I'm experiencing the same restart to sleep situation after bios up .13 or .14.  I did image the 256gb nvme to a 960gb nvme. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2019 11:00

@drvnk wrote:

I have an 8930.  I'm experiencing the same restart to sleep situation after bios up .13 or .14.  I did image the 256gb nvme to a 960gb nvme. 

Can you be more specific about what happens when you try to wake from sleep? How are you trying to wake from sleep? And how is monitor connected to PC, HDMI or...?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the USB Wake Support (S3) option and make sure it's Enabled. Do NOT change anything else in BIOS setup, but save the change to USB Wake, if you made one. Exit setup and let PC reboot. Does that fix it?

If that doesn't help, try disabling the Additional settings in the active Windows Power plan for Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, USB Selective Suspend, and PCI-e Link State Management. Save the changes to the Power plan and reboot...

No Events found!