Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

February 19th, 2018 18:00

XPS 8930, how to control CPU temperatures?

I have a Dell XPS 8930 with i7-8700 processor. How do I control the high temperatures of the CPU (99°C) without upgrading the fans/cooling system? The CPU fan and top fan have not been upgraded - they are exactly how Dell shipped it to me. I did get a new 750w power supply though. Anyway, when I was rendering a video in a video editing program, the computer roared the loudest I've ever heard a computer sound, like a jet taking off.  It kind of worried me. When I looked at the CPU core temperatures (with CPUID), they were going as high as 99 °C. Is this normal? Or dangerous?

When I went into the Windows advanced power settings, in 'Processor Power Management' I saw that the 'System Cooling Policy' was set to "Active" and the 'Maximum Processor Rate' was set to 100%. I changed them to "Passive" and 90% and it was better - the temperatures didn't go as high and the computer didn't sound as loud. If I don't want to upgrade the fans/cooling system, was that the right way to control the CPU temperature? Or is there another/better way? Did I basically "under clock" the CPU by doing that?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 20th, 2018 05:00

What Does the Intel® Power Gadget say about temps?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 20th, 2018 16:00

Read the post by soil85 in this thread.

39 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 01:00

RoHe, thanks for referring to that thread.  I can't reply to it though because it seems like it's closed.  Anyway, I did what you recommended and in Power Options I reduced the maximum processor state from 100% to 99% and it did make a difference.  The CPU temperature did not go as high.  However, I did some experimenting and in that same setting, I left maximum processor state at 100% but I changed the system cooling policy from Active (which increases fan speed before slowing the processor) to Passive (which slows the processor before increasing fan speed) and I found that also made a difference.  So because I left the CPU at 100% and only changed the cooling policy, I'm wondering if that is affecting the performance.  Thoughts?

By the way, for some reason I'm not getting email notifications of replies even though I have it set to receive immediate email notifications in these Dell forums.  Anything I can do to try to fix that?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2018 10:00

If you look at the posts by ghooper in that thread, he claims even reducing max CPU speed by 1% has significant effect on performance, at least in his tests.

If you make the registry change that Soil85 posted in that thread to limit max CPU speed, you might get better performance without the fan issue. (Be sure to back up ("export") a copy of the registry first, to be safe!) 

I guess you'll have to find a test that suits your individual usage of the system, eg ripping CD/DVDs, or running some advanced Photoshop operations, copying a very large file, etc. to measure performance before and after you tweak settings.

That other thread is locked for me too, possibly because it was marked as "Answered".

As for email alerts, log in and click your avatar at the top right corner and select My Subscriptions. On next screen, click Notifications Settings tab and set the options the way you want. If you still don't get email alerts, post back here and I'll ping the forum admin to look at your account. (This is a new forum platform and it still has some bugs!)

39 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 03:00

I believe what ghooper says in that thread about 1% making a significant difference.  I didn't do an in-depth analysis like he did, but I was eyeballing the CPU temperatures and listening to the fan noise and it seemed to be approximately the same when the CPU was reduced to 99% or when it was reduced to 90%.  Anyway, I've left it at 100% for now and just changed the cooling policy from Active to Passive.  My guess is that this also decreases the performance.

In My Subscriptions, in the Notification Settings tab I have it all set to receive Immediate notifications but I didn't receive any notification when you replied to this thread.  I was going to try changing my email address but I can't find anywhere in the settings to change my email address.  Is this normal? 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 10:00

Click your avatar and select My Settings. On the Email tab, make sure the box Don't send me any community emails is not checked.

39 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 20:00

"Don't send me any community emails" is not checked.  Anything else I can try? 

If you wanted to change your email address here in the Dell Forum, how would you do it?  I don't seem to see any option to do that.  In the email setting, I only see the "Don't send me any community emails" box, I don't see an option to change your email address.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 24th, 2018 12:00

It may take a moderator to change your registered email address.

I'll ping my forum contacts to see if they can help you with the address and the lack of email notifications. Keep your eyes open for a PM notification at top of any forum page after you log in.

25 Posts

February 25th, 2018 02:00

Changing the CPU Max setting to anything under 100% sets the CPU clock to 3.2Ghz apparently. This solves the noise problems but reduces performance as the normal clock frequency is 3.7Ghz and can turbo boost up to 4.7Ghz.

I found that adding the Max CPU Frequency setting as described here was a much better solution:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/95580-add-remove-maximum-processor-frequency-windows-10-power-options.html

In my ripping tests any **bleep** of at least 3900 Mhz (i.e. 3.9Ghz) had minimal effect on performance for that particular test. In practice if the Max CPU Frequency is not limited it rarely goes above 4000 during ripping anyway which is why a **bleep** of 3900 made little noticeable difference. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

February 28th, 2018 14:00

In case no one has reached out to you yet...

I've been told that changing a username or a registered email address requires you to create a whole new account. 

3 Posts

May 6th, 2018 18:00

Thank you!  This was very helpful.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 6th, 2018 18:00

@Outlier007wrote:

1. Anyway, when I was rendering a video in a video editing program, 

2. When I looked at the CPU core temperatures (with CPUID), they were going as high as 99 C.

3. Is this normal?

1. It's also been my experience that rendering video will get all CPU cores going at 100% (similar to Prime95 and I think also OCCT). I like to monitor with HW-Monitor.

2. When rendering videos on either of my Auroras, it never goes over 75c, but both have stock Asetek Liquid-Cooling.

3. I guess it is for the XPS-8930 with i7-8700 and just fan-cooling.

8 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 06:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@Outlier007wrote:

1. Anyway, when I was rendering a video in a video editing program, 

2. When I looked at the CPU core temperatures (with CPUID), they were going as high as 99 C.

3. Is this normal?

1. It's also been my experience that rendering video will get all CPU cores going at 100% (similar to Prime95 and I think also OCCT). I like to monitor with HW-Monitor.

2. When rendering videos on either of my Auroras, it never goes over 75c, but both have stock Asetek Liquid-Cooling.

3. I guess it is for the XPS-8930 with i7-8700 and just fan-cooling.

So how can I fix these cooling issues because it really affects my performance when gaming. I am leaning towards and have been told that i should buy a better cpu fan, a new case, and psu(power supply unit)?

732 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 09:00

You shouldn't have to fool with changing cpu output and degrading that. Why don't you do a fan job like I did and then post the problems in here ?...……….not that hard.

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2019 10:00

I replaced the top case fan, and added a lower case fan (had to eBay the bracket). Used two Noctua HF-S12A FLX 120mm fans and a Noctua NA-Syc1 2x 4-Pin splitter cable (comes in a box with multiple type adapters). Brought temps down a little bit and the insane 64db 235Hz whine from the old fan is gone. Do notice a hot spot under load, not too bad, but it is at the top front right side panel (others added another fan at this dead air zone). No major modding needed although I do recommend cleaning up cable spaghetti. That will impede air flow if your just going for air cooling. I've been working with PC's since the Zenith 8088 days, and the design of this case is lacking. Adding the fans won't void warranty as long as you don't modify anything. Temps at idle are around 36C, under load it can get up to 80C. Feel that adding that other intake fan will probably do the trick. BTW, Dell's top case fan runs at 1.25 amps, cheap and inefficient. Noctua's fans are .12 amps and can run concurrently on the same case fan header.
No Events found!