Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

31 Posts

July 12th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8930, hybrid SSD/HDD defrag?

So C drive with SSD is shown to have system OS and applications and the D drive with the HDD has the data files.  I'm surprised that the 1tb HDD only has 5.3 gb used.  The 256gb SSD has 101gb used.  So I've seen many sites recommending that a SSD never be defragmented as it reduces the lifespan.  Thoughts?   

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2020 19:00

@cyberanvil   So I've seen many sites recommending that a SSD never be defragmented as it reduces the lifespan. Thoughts? 

Do not defrag your SSD. It is not necessary (or useful) to defrag SSDs. Because of the way SSDs work, they do not become fragmented. SSDs have no moving parts, there is no 'seek time' or 'rotational latency' as with spinners. There is a finite number of rewrites, but it is large, and there are built-in wear leveling algorithms.

31 Posts

July 12th, 2020 20:00

If SSD's don't fragment, why does my defrag program show more and more fragmentation occurring as time goes by? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2020 21:00

@cyberanvil   If SSD's don't fragment, why does my defrag program show more and more fragmentation occurring as time goes by? 

What kind of defrag program are you running, and what operating system are you using?

358 Posts

July 13th, 2020 02:00

Hi, @cyberanvil ,

As @Anonymous advises, the general Policy is to NOT Defrag your SSDs!!

If you Google:- "should i defrag my ssd windows 10", you will gets lots & lots of Explanations!

31 Posts

July 13th, 2020 09:00

Win10  Using IObit Smart Defrag 6.5

31 Posts

OK, I get it.  Don't defrag and let Windows occasionally optimize the SSD.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@John-Jay    If you Google:- "should i defrag my ssd windows 10"

That is why I asked about OP's operating system. If they are running Windows 10, it is pretty much idiot proof. In Windows 10, drive maintenance is characterized as "Optimize". When the system recognizes the drive as HDD, "Optimize" will initiate a 'defragmentation' operation where data will be physically moved from one area of the platter to another area of the platter. When the system recognizes the drive as SSD, "Optimize" will initiate a 'Trim' operation where files flagged for deletion are removed . . . no data is moved. These operations can be scheduled to run automatically, periodically.

image.png

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 13th, 2020 10:00

And one more thingy... Did you input your Service Tag at Dell's Support site to see if there's a firmware update for the SSD installed in your XPS 8930?

Read/follow the instructions carefully...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

@cyberanvil  - Did you tell Windows to move its default folders for docs, photos, music, etc. from the C drive (SSD) to the D drive (HDD)?  If not, they could be eating up lots of space on the SSD. Read this to move those Windows folders.

Apps like Internet Explorer, Edge, Mozilla's Firefox and their Thunderbird email app also store their profile files on the C drive unless you move them too. So if your browser settings and bookmarks, email in/out boxes etc are large files, they'll consume SSD space too...

If you use Mozilla apps and want to move their files, you'll need to read/follow the correct procedure for Firefox and Thunderbird because they didn't make it simple and you can't just copy the files over to another drive.

I encourage you to back up on external media any files/folders you intend to move first, to be safe...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@cyberanvil   OK, I get it. Don't defrag and let Windows occasionally optimize the SSD.

Your 3rd party app is probably safe, but really not necessary.

With the improved IObitdisk defrag engine, Smart Defrag 6 not only defrags your HDD but also trims your SSD to accelerate disk access speed and enhance disk durability.

31 Posts

July 13th, 2020 14:00

Good idea about moving the default folders.  Thanks.

31 Posts

July 13th, 2020 15:00

My IObit 6.5 Defrag seems to identify both drives as HDD.  So I'm not too sure that it's actually configuring/trimming the SSD or defraging it.  For now I'll just let Windows do the work.IObit Defrag.JPG

31 Posts

when analyzed, support says I have the latest updates.  Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

@cyberanvil Here is a more recent article about how to change the default location where new content is saved: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/10/14/how-to-change-the-default-save-location-in-windows-10/

Note that this applies to new content. Any existing content, like content that is already on your SSD, will have to be moved to the new default locations on the HDD. Any apps you wish to be moved to the new location will have to be uninstalled and reinstalled in the new location. Some apps default to being installed on C drive and cannot be installed on another drive.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 13th, 2020 16:00

IMO, stay away from IObit garbage....

No Events found!