Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

5 Posts

May 19th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8930, installed latest BIOS, now won't sleep

I did the most recent BIOS update from Dell and now my computer won't sleep. I tried changing power settings and restarting to no avail. Running latest version of Windows 10. Dell system appears to be up to date on drivers, etc.

Any thoughts?

May 22nd, 2018 16:00

This is an edit to my original post. 

I have the same issues as you with the computer not being able to sleep. It started once the BIOS was installed v1.0.9 or at least that is when I first noticed. 

I had lots of issues installing the latest BIOS and figured it out to be the DP connection and reverted to the DVI to allow the BIOS to install. However, now having issues with the following since upgrading the BIOS; 

1) the system does not start; the DELL splash screen shows and then stays hung. I have to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to start up the system. It is inconsistent but occurs from time to time.

2) The other issue is I cannot put the system to 'sleep' or it will really just go to sleep and never restarts, it hangs.

I think both of these issues are related to the DP connection and the BIOS/XPS support of M.2 OS/boot and the DP connection with the Nvidia GTX but need help and tips to help trouble shoot.

Note: I've configured Windows 10 with 10 bit (bpc) and 32-bit colour depth. I'm using the BENQ SW2700PT and think it is all related. Everything is 100% updated and this issue seems to be related to this DP connectivity and possibly the M.2 boot - at least in my testing and troubleshooting. 

5 Posts

May 25th, 2018 07:00

I really hate how this website will let you write a reply only to then ask you to log in after you've written it and then not actually post the reply!!!

Mine may not be DP related. I had no trouble installing the BIOS update. I use an HDMI connection. My machine is about a month old and I've seen the Intel Ready Mode icon, but have not run the program. That supposedly stops the computer from sleeping. I planned on trying Ready Mode anyway, so may run the program and see what happens. OneDrive has a feature that allows for you to access other areas of your drive that aren't in the cloud as long as your desktop is on. So this may end up being a moot point for me, but still very odd that sleep mode just stopped after the BIOS update.

5 Posts

May 26th, 2018 10:00

So... just as odd that it started, my computer has now started to sleep again with no issues.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2018 13:00

The only thing I was able to link this issue to was using the dell optical mouse that came w/ the 8930. Unplugging the mouse allows the computer to enter sleep mode after the set time, and using a logitech wireless mouse fixes the issue as well. Changed the mouse power management settings to "Don't allow this device to wake computer from sleep" and issue still persists. Have tried troubleshooting everything else, pretty annoying. 

Did you switch to a different mouse? Or any other changes that might have happened?

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2018 11:00

I've been using a Microsoft mouse that I've had for a few years, so no change there. The only change I made was to the incredibly stupid MaxxAudioPro in how it recognizes my speakers. That same day I noticed the computer sleeping like normal again.

732 Posts

June 15th, 2018 21:00

I hate it too, I wrote a long post that took a lot of thinking about my fan problem (which I solved on my own) and then it asked me to sign in which deleted my unique post. I am on 2 other forums that keep you signed in and don't mess with your posts. Also I get these messages that say; you can't proceed until you fix the highlighted area but nothing is highlighted.???????

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 09:00

@hagler413

Can you please describe what changes you made to MaxxAudioPro?

I just replaced an old XPS 8300 with an XPS 8930. It, for some unknown reasons, fails to enter sleep mode after idling for the set period of time. After went through all applicable troubleshooting steps (especially those provided by Dell at https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln309800/windows-10-troubleshooting-sleep-hibernation-issues-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en#Trouble_Shooting), I still can't figure out what causes the computer not going into sleep.

When I press the sleep button on the keyboard, the computer can immediately go into sleep. But, it refuses to put itself to sleep after idling for the period of time specified in "Power & sleep" setting.

I have no idea whether it could sleep normally before BIOS updates because the first thing I did was updating BIOS and drivers when I got the computer. But I did try dual boot into Linux Mint, and the computer had no problem going into sleep mode. So, it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

Now I am out of ideas what to check next. Hopefully your MaxxAudioPro changes can help. Thanks.

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 09:00

All I did was select the output device as "Dell Devices" and that was it.

732 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 12:00

Make changes in the power management area too (can't remember how to do it).

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 15:00

@546insp

Yes, I tried changing settings in power options (both in Windows 10 Settings and Control Panel) many times. None of them resolved the problem of not going into sleep mode.

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 15:00

@hagler413

I switched the output device to "Dell Devices" as you said, but it didn't help. Still, thank you for responding.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 09:00

@kochinc wrote:

Yes, I tried changing settings in power options (both in Windows 10 Settings and Control Panel) many times. None of them resolved the problem of not going into sleep mode.

If your Power Profile is correct (and also not corrupt  :Smile:  ) ... failure to fall asleep is sometimes due to a Windows Process that is still running or a busy Service.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2018 10:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@kochinc wrote:

If your Power Profile is correct (and also not corrupt  :Smile:  ) ... failure to fall asleep is sometimes due to a Windows Process that is still running or a busy Service.

Check to see if you have an anti-viral scan or possibly Windows Indexing Service scheduled to run in the background when the system is idle. Look in Windows Task Scheduler to see what may be set to run at idle.

No Events found!