Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 29th, 2020 06:00

XPS 8930, lockup for 3 to 4 seconds

My system is locking up for 3 or 4 seconds. It has been doing that for a few months. I have already reinstalled Windows and I have also installed the latest version 2004. I had this issue way before 2004 was released.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2020 05:00

I have reinstalled Windows again and this time I am staying on 1909 for a few weeks. Even though I was having the lockups on the shipped version from Dell 1903. I will wait and see if I still have lockups. I am not gonna uninstall anything to do with Dell Updates or Support Assist. 

258 Posts

June 1st, 2020 08:00

@Anonymous 

I have reinstalled Windows again and this time I am staying on 1909 for a few weeks. Even though I was having the lockups on the shipped version from Dell 1903. I will wait and see if I still have lockups. I am not gonna uninstall anything to do with Dell Updates or Support Assist. 

When you reinstalled Windows again, did you also reinstall the Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service?  If not, then it won't be the cause of any system freezing.

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2020 08:00

When you reinstalled Windows again, did you also reinstall the Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service?  If not, then it won't be the cause of any system freezing.

GK

Yes it was installed when I used the Support Assist OS USB. I was told by a Dell Tech Support when I called to leave it alone and not install it. Uninstalling it or disabling it still had the issue. 

258 Posts

June 1st, 2020 09:00

@Anonymous 

Yes it was installed when I used the Support Assist OS USB.

Let us know if your system continues to suffer the micro-freeze with Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service running.

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2020 09:00

Yes it was installed when I used the Support Assist OS USB. I was told by a Dell Tech Support when I called to leave it alone and not install it. Uninstalling it or disabling it still had the issue. 

I meant they said NOT to uninstall it.

258 Posts

June 1st, 2020 11:00

@Anonymous 

I meant they said NOT to uninstall it.

I understood what you meant.  Leave Dell SupportAssist installed... the latest version is 3.5.0.448

If your system continues to freeze AND Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service is installed and running, you can uninstall it to fix the freeze issue because it is no longer required with the latest version of Dell SupportAssist.

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2020 05:00

@GKDesigns 

Dell support called me and I was on the phone for awhile. They said not to remove it that it is needed. They said if it was required and I would have more issues and Support Assist would not work without it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2020 09:00

@DELL-Cares 

I am still having this issue. I do not know how to take a screenshot that you suggested. I have tried alt-Print Screen and nothing because I tried to paste in New Bitmap I was gonna save as jpg and upload. I looked at task manager I keep it open because otherwise I would be locked up. When I saw the task Google Chrome is the only task that had high CPU usage.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 6th, 2020 15:00

DELL-Cares ‎06-04-2020

Re: XPS 8930, lockup for 3 to 4 seconds
Hi, as per the troubleshooting done so far, we would go ahead and replace the motherboard, graphics card and memory. ^AYP 
===================================================================================

They think the problem is with the motherboard. I am not sure what to do I do not want to reinstall again.
I did it again I am back on version 1909. I have everything back like I want it now. 

258 Posts

June 7th, 2020 05:00

@Anonymous 

Why not try this from the original suggested solution.  If you don't like it, you can simply undo it... no harm done.

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to invoke the Ctrl-Alt-Del menu screen.  Drill down through Task Manager\Services to monitor and manage the culprit service, Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service.  If this service is installed and running, right-click it and navigate to change its Startup type to Manual.  Save or whatever and restart to be sure its not running.

See if that stops the freezing while Dell SupportAssist version 3.5.0.448 continues to function normally.

Otherwise, get ready for a Dell Tech with Covid-19 to take your computer apart on your kitchen table.

GK

358 Posts

June 7th, 2020 09:00

Hi, @Anonymous ,

You wrote:-

"DELL-Cares ‎06-04-2020

Hi, as per the troubleshooting done so far, we would go ahead and replace the motherboard, graphics card and memory. ^AYP"

I have to be honest & say that I'm totally amazed that you got ANY Response from Dell! For the majority of people, suffering with this problem, Dell have simply ignored them (on the basis of "If we ignore them, the Problem doesn't exist)!!

Only after a lot of badgering, on my part, I did get Dell to take mine back - but all they did was to do a Clean-Install - which NEVER really fixed the problem!!

Good luck with your endeavours!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2020 15:00

Why not try this from the original suggested solution. If you don't like it, you can simply undo it... no harm done.

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to invoke the Ctrl-Alt-Del menu screen. Drill down through Task Manager\Services to monitor and manage the
culprit service, Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service. If this service is installed and running, right-click it
and navigate to change its Startup type to Manual. Save or whatever and restart to be sure its not running.

See if that stops the freezing while Dell SupportAssist version 3.5.0.448 continues to function normally.

Otherwise, get ready for a Dell Tech with Covid-19 to take your computer apart on your kitchen table.

GK

.====================================================================================

@GKDesigns 

I may try that I just been busy

===================================================================================

You wrote:-

"DELL-Cares ‎06-04-2020

Hi, as per the troubleshooting done so far, we would go ahead and replace the motherboard, graphics card and memory.
^AYP"

I have to be honest & say that I'm totally amazed that you got ANY Response from Dell! For the majority of people,
suffering with this problem, Dell have simply ignored them (on the basis of "If we ignore them, the Problem
doesn't exist)!!

Only after a lot of badgering, on my part, I did get Dell to take mine back - but all they did was to do a
Clean-Install -
which NEVER really fixed the problem!!

Good luck with your endeavours!

=====================================================================================
@John-Jay 

I can replace the board myself if they will send it and do the programming of the service tag and send it to me. I have replaced motherboards before and I built my last computer in 2018. I should have upgraded that computer and never bought this Dell. And I do not trust Dell if they say send it in if I am concerned about COVID-19

I have had trouble with Dell before sent a laptop in to be repaired. They said the motherboard was bad. I know for a fact it was not bad this was in 2016 Laptop only lasted 6 months it was the DC Jack that broke. They claimed it needed a new board it would costs almost $500.00 almost as much as the  Laptop. The DC-Jack was a dongle wire that connected to the board the cost was only $40.00. Dell sent the laptop back I replaced it myself and was able to get it tot power on and saw a post connected to my TV through HDMI no monitor. I ran the Dell diagnostics and they passed. So see I have a reason not to trust Dell and I have a reason why I should not have spent almost $2000.00 on this XPS that is the monitor extra keyboard speakers and a webcam. Also these scam calls started after I purchased the Dell Laptop in 2016. Scammer would call and
he would know my service tag to my Laptop Inspiron from 2014 and the one from 2016. And claim to be from Dell and say my computer was infected. They also knew the issues I had in the past. They also knew my e-mail address and no telling what else. I just had to delete my e-maial address this week because I was getting so much spam and I have tried to stop the spam by hitting unsubscribe and that made it worse. There is a site you can go to called have i been hacked .com and put in your e-mail it will tell you if you been hacked. Not hacked in a way as someone logging in. Basically hacked by spam bots. I had to redo everything set up all my accounts with the new email account. Should have already been done but over the past month spam has gotten worse. You are correct I do not want covid-19. 

258 Posts

June 9th, 2020 06:00

@Anonymous 

It takes a minute, if you're slow.  And it could fix the freeze issue and save you from having to... post about it online again; talk to Dell about it again; re-install Windows again; watch a Dell Tech reassemble your computer; setup Windows, programs, and data again... and still have the freeze issue.

As for your spam, scam, and e-mail issue; I suspect your e-mail account got hacked/compromised somehow.  A new, secure password can fix that.  A new e-mail service provider might offer stronger spam blocking; Google gmail is pretty spam-proof, if you don't mind Google.

And never re-use the same password, of course.  KeePass2 is pretty good for securing and managing lots of personal credentials... I recommend it.

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2020 07:00

It takes a minute, if you're slow.  And it could fix the freeze issue and save you from having to... post about it online again; talk to Dell about it again; re-install Windows again; watch a Dell Tech reassemble your computer; setup Windows, programs, and data again... and still have the freeze issue.

As for your spam, scam, and e-mail issue; I suspect your e-mail account got hacked/compromised somehow.  A new, secure password can fix that.  A new e-mail service provider might offer stronger spam blocking; Google gmail is pretty spam-proof, if you don't mind Google.

And never re-use the same password, of course.  KeePass2 is pretty good for securing and managing lots of personal credentials... I recommend it.

GK

==================================================================================

I understood you to say dell remediation is not included in the new support assist. I think you are right. I took the time to backup my other system and I used the SSD to install Windows 10 (1909) and installed the drivers and new version of Support Assist. I did not see Remediation in services. I am gonna get a bigger drive soon 1 TB m.2 and may do a clean install.

I do not think the Support Assist OS tool is meant for new blank drives. I tried it and there was no option to reinstall.

I had to use the Windows 10 2004 USB. What is the point of Support assist recovery if it is not gonna work?

And thanks for reply about the gmail. I feel I really needed to delete that account. It was demon posessed.

And all those spammers are getting bounce backs HA HA serves them right even if they check. I hope the bounce backs spam their servers.

I am good on the hardware side. I feel this is really not a hardware failure. This is for sure software related. I just had to investigate it myself it seems to run fine with a clean install. Again thanks for the help.

258 Posts

June 9th, 2020 09:00

@Anonymous 

I understood you to say dell remediation is not included in the new support assist. I think you are right. I took the time to backup my other system and I used the SSD to install Windows 10 (1909) and installed the drivers and new version of Support Assist. I did not see Remediation in services.

Thanks for confirming this.  Good to know for anyone paying attention.  Although I suppose it is possible for Dell SupportAssist to patch itself by installing its own Remediation Service.  Although this may have been the case earlier, I've been told current Dell SupportAssist no longer requires 'remediation'... which is plausible.  The name 'remediation' is something to be rid of sooner than later.

I had to use the Windows 10 2004 USB. What is the point of Support assist recovery if it is not gonna work?

In my experience, system recovery is best done from scratch with a clean install.  But most people can't do this well without skills and experience and a bit of fearlessness.  Dell SupportAssist tries to solve these system maintenance problems for both the user and for Dell.  But the systems are too complicated for this automation to be flawless.  Maybe someday, but not today.

My concern is that instead of simplifying motherboard/BIOS/subsystem integration and OS installation, these have become more complicated such that third party helpers like Dell SupportAssist are being advanced just to keep things somewhat manageable.  And then Windows 10 comes along and makes system management even more difficult in more ways than one.  The requirement for imperfect systems to manage imperfect systems because the systems are too complicated and poorly designed in the first place is going off in the wrong direction, imo.

Even Dell struggles with their role in this... Command Update, Dell Update, Dell SupportAssist, etc... umpteen helpers with different names all trying to do the same thing... manage the integration that is a PC... multi-OEM integration is and has been both the PC's strength and its weakness.  Could be worse... could be a Mac!

GK

No Events found!