Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2019 11:00

XPS 8930, new, missing video card bracket

I just received my new XPS 8930 Special Edition system yesterday. When I unpacked it, I heard something loose in the case. When I removed the cover, I found the video card partially out of it's slot. After reviewing several posts and videos, it appears that I am missing the video card bracket that supports the card while in the slot. I did contact Dell's technical support last night but they kind of blew me off like I didn't know what I was talking about.  

My new system has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 card and it appears that the card is hanging down slightly without the support adapter. I'm concerned that since it came loose in shipping that it may do it again with the system running and that may cause a big issue.

Did anyone recently receive a new system without this bracket? Should I be concerned that it is not there?  What is the correct part number for this so that I can order one somewhere?

Here's a pic of where the bracket should go =

image.png

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 15th, 2019 14:00

@fladigger   I thought it should be full length...

Dell OEM Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti is a 5.7" card, so not full length. So no, you should not have received the 742KM video card bracket. This will help with your air circulation and cooling in the hot box that is the XPS 8930.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

November 15th, 2019 13:00

According to the service manual the bracket is called the full-length graphics-card bracket. There is a picture of it on page 49. The note on that page indicates that the computer will be shipped with a graphics card or a full-length graphics card. I don't know if the note is intended to imply that a computer with a graphics card that is not full-length will not have the bracket. If you look at the procedure for removing the graphics card that is not full-length it does not mention the bracket, the bracket is only mentioned in the procedure for removing the full-length graphics card. I would be concerned if the bracket was missing.

Is your graphics card full-length?

4 Posts

It is not a full length card. From looking at videos about the card, I thought it should be full length. The system was ordered with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 card.

I have not turned on the system yet to verify that this is what is installed. I was concerned about the lack of support on the card.  I had to reseat the card when I received it due to the card being loose in the slot.  There are no indications on the card for what model it is other than GeForce GTX.

4 Posts

It is actually what looks like a plastic bracket...here is one from another post...I've looked at several videos that show the bracket in the 8930 being taken out to access some of the components.

742KM video card bracket =
XPS 8920/8930, Aurora R9/R8/R7/R6/R5, Precision 3630

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/Video-Card-Bracket-in-XPS-8920/td-p/7352478 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

The pic will be visible when the moderator approves it. I suspect you mean the actual bracket that is part of the video card? Or do you mean the bracket that attaches below the card and supports it?

Again this is a tech support problem and they should supply the bracket.

Something like this...

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=M022-10-000138

Or this...

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=video+card+support+bracket&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtrnuBRDXARIsABiN-7AV5G_7Un_6ZJw2DdTrFnViHrdrJL_38VAph3WAKLozVi5lHN4HAx0aAvhREALw_wcB&hvadid=284063380699&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001095&hvnetw=g&hvpos=2o1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1652359247865184598&hvtargid=kwd-298049253251&hydadcr=24917_10283276&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_9fhnyh50k2_e

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

November 15th, 2019 14:00

I don't know about the Dell OEM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, but the NVIDIA specs for the card indicate it is 5.7" length, 4.37" height, and 2-slot width.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for the good information...I’m just being cautious since the card was not seated correctly when I received the system...just didn’t want it popping out when powered up and causing an issue 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Sorry...the way you described it I thought we were describing a full length card. A card under 6" is a mini card and does not need support as the other posts stated. Jumping to conclusions...I majored in that at college.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@fladigger   I’m just being cautious since the card was not seated correctly when I received the system

If you would feel more comfortable with some support for your card, you could get something like the photo below for under $10 (click photo to embiggen)

w27.JPG

1 Message

March 3rd, 2020 14:00

Thank you for this post, it solved my problem.

I bought an XPS 8930 with Geforce 1650 4GB video card from Costco today. There was no signal output from the video card. After reading your post, I opened the case and found out that the video card is indeed loose. There is nothing supporting it and the shipping must shook it loose. 

I wonder this may be a quite common problem. Shame on Dell for not securing their video card. Guess there will be lots of returns and support calls for them to pay the price.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 18:00

Same thing happened with my new XPS 8930 with GTX 1660Ti card, purchased directly from Dell in Nov'19.

Only full-length cards have that extra bracket, not the short ones.  There's a "hook" on the bottom rear corner of short cards that's supposed to latch into the end of the x16 slot closest to the middle of the chassis. At least in my case, that hook apparently wasn't latched correctly so the card probably came loose during shipping...

No Events found!