Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2019 10:00

XPS 8930, not showing on Home Network?

I can't seem to get the new computer to show on my home network. I have Network discovery and sharing turned on and I can see my other 2 computers on the new one. All on windows 10. 

Anyone have suggestions, please

4 Posts

November 11th, 2019 14:00

Thanks all. I got it working now. Funny thing is I don't know how I did it. In file explorer I typed in \\Computer Name where computer name is of course the name of the new 8930 and there it was!. I just then pined it to quick access and all is well.

Thanks for your help

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 9th, 2019 13:00

Wired Ethernet or WiFi?

If WiFi, are you using 2.4 or 5 GHz and does your router support dual band?

Did you run the Win 10 network setup and configure it with the router's password, etc?

Did you try rebooting the router?

You can read this a for step-by-step...

4 Posts

November 9th, 2019 17:00

Thank you. It’s wired, I’ll try your suggestions and let you know if that helped

2.5K Posts

November 10th, 2019 05:00

I have sharing here to my MKV dell streaming Plex servers and had to do ALL THAT and more.

but first get Discovery working 100% on all PCs. (for sure PC1 can discovery PC1 shares working first)  then PC1 to 2, or 3. or....

• service running, per post.
  • do the below, photo and text settings for (shares)
  • then set specific shares, with GIVE ACCESS to , clicks.

this too, must be done.

the 3 fields of sharing seen in settings, the most odd thing MS does, is here, very odd GUI, that I loathe..

MS does not allow me to see all 3 sections at one time just 1 at a time, this is LAME,

so I can not show a photo of all settings correct. (dang) so i did  it in text.

settings ,advanced shares. and some are tricky to set.

queer.JPG

to start using the above settings set them to loose first then go tighter later,  once it all works. 100%

(that is home use only answer never any   business) (I am opening the  doors wide open below) ok?

PRIV:

ON

NO + auto

Guest:

ON

ON

All networks

On

40bit

OFF

------------that is it for testing,....)  for max sharing,

and last give access to a folder. using the GIVE feature (new)

in our home, discovery works on all PCs

all PCs have  no Shares. or any access to them.

only the servers have share enabled here.

if you have say an old PC, that is "a data pit or backup pit)" then turn on all shares there. and only there.

windows 10 PRO does not share at all out of the box.   that is to protect businesses,  you know  a stock boy can't read accounts in accounting department and all that>?  you must by clear actions turn it on, then mess up.

or like Mathew Brodrick changes his grades or GF to all "A"s  (love that movie I do and the old dial up modems)

That is it,  a linear step by step, list need not be 10 pages long.

2.5K Posts

November 10th, 2019 05:00

we don't know what you have at home for any sub net,  tell that first, and.

1: windows, what 10, 64bit and version 1903, and if yes 1903 did you know the new rules of doing all that has changed radically and is better,?  yeah...... sharing. changed, and homegroup (gone)

2: Windows 10 home or PRO or what?,  the pro version has sharing defeated, out of the box. (services OFF)

Defeated in OOBE, ! by design an for PRO = business. use.

w10 from whom?   DELL oR MS????? matters !!!

let me pretend you said Ethernet first,  and is best for getting that working first then go wifi pain last. if ever.

I run ONLY MS 10 PRO. and only the newest RELEASE,

the new 1903 command is right click addition, you navigate to a folder say on D:/TEST

and right click it to "GIVE ACCESS TO" xyz.   GIVE is the new feature, learn to use that or google it,

The W10 "PRO"  fix is here,  "discovery is dead" and is normal for PRO.

to google this is hard, due to many users have HOME edition or are talking about  older versions of W10 (6 now)

let me give you a big clue, if your PC#1 can not see its own shares, in explorer (networking) then do this.

i will just quote them,  ( system information tells you what OS you run and if PRO) yah.

quote:

That's because Homegroup has been removed and that affect also other network operations.

That's how I have setup my network with Win 10 1803.

Most important part is to start some required services.

That make your PC's visible in File Explorer network devices.

Push Win Key and type "Services", locate those services, start them and set Start type to Automatic (Delayed Start). 

Services are:

- Function Discovery Provider Host

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- SSDP Discovery

- UPnP Device Host

One more is missing, SMB , in programs , in windows features.

the long play( Huge ) and full detailed answer is here, if you want to read 10 pages.

More details:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/homegroup-removed-how-to-get-network-sharing-work/01277332-2916-4a68-853a-116696b20743

we have Idea at all what sub lan you run,  (gigalan ethernet end to end is best) but?. I JUST DON'T KNOW.

4 Posts

November 10th, 2019 12:00

Wow, I appreciate the effort here, but now I'm completely confused.

All I can say is Dell Windows 10 PRO Ver 1903. Wired ethernet. All the services you mentioned up and running.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 11th, 2019 11:00

@EMRU    - Did you run the Win 10 network configuration tool on the desktop? Did you reboot the router?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 11th, 2019 19:00

Glad you got it sorted. And entering the name was part of setting up the network on this new PC....

No Events found!