Highlighted
2 Iron

XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

In an effort to cool my hard drive, I was wondering if a front case fan could be fit into an XPS 8930.  When I looked inside, there seems to be enough room for one.  I've never installed a fan before and I'm reading that it could be powered by plugging the power cable into a spot on the motherboard.  On the XPS 8930 motherboard, I do see the words "Front Fan" in a location where such a spot would exist but there's nothing to plug into.  Unlike the "Top Fan" and "CPU Fan" which do have something a power cable plugs into, I don't see anywhere in the motherboard where a front fan would plug into.  Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS 8930?

0 Kudos
113 Replies
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Re: Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS 8930?

You could always plug the fan directly into the power supply with the proper connector but you will not be able to control its speed. I would also like to know if someone was able to physically mount a fan in the front of the case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS 8930?

There won't be a connector on the mainboard - it would have to plug directly into the power supply. 

It's been a while since I have seen the inside of one of these, but I don't recall there being anywhere to mount the fan in one - the case is small and pretty tightly packed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Re: Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS

The Arctic (and probably others) PWM fan comes with a splitter that ties into the top fan on the mobo and there is enough room for two 120mm front fans in that "tiny" case.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Is it meaningful to put a 120mm fan in the front top location when the grill through which it can pull air is only about 100mm x 60mm?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i wrote:

Is it meaningful to put a 120mm fan in the front top location when the grill through which it can pull air is only about 100mm x 60mm?

I didn't put mine in the top and the bottom is nearly 120 x 120. Plus it cured my fan problems.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Ok, I see now. I have read your comments in a few threads. When you are referencing "two 120mm fans"; you mean one in the bottom front and the top exhaust fan. I need to check the size of my top exhaust fan, and perhaps upgrade there, if needed. I really appreciate the comments. This is all very new to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

I wouldn't put one in the top front, it's blocked off by the power supply and you would have to remove the HDD cage there also. Air from a bottom front one will make it's way up past the CPU and out the top rear. Just make sure all the air comes from the outside up front and you will be fine.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@546insp wrote:

I wouldn't put one in the top front, it's blocked off by the power supply and you would have to remove the HDD cage there also. Air from a bottom front one will make it's way up past the CPU and out the top rear. Just make sure all the air comes from the outside up front and you will be fine.

That is just nonsense. 

The idea is to create a path of airflow from the front of the case up to the exhaust fan and having a front intake fan in the upper position would accomplish that and also keep the hot air from the back of chassis to be recirculated by balancing the case pressure. The concept of airflow is to keep all the air moving to the desired exhaust location.   It’s not always the number of fans that is important, it is all about controlling the movement of air in and out of the case and across key components by balancing case pressure.

Look at how the XPS 8930 chassis is designed and how a full length GPU and the PSU bracket restricts the airflow to the the upper half of the machine from that front intake position.  The airflow from the front intake position to the upper exhaust fan is seriously obstructed. 

Put an i7 8700 in your case  with a higher end GPU and let me know how effective just your front intake fan is in controlling CPU and case temps.  That is why the Alienware Aurora R7 with the i7 8700 with the same front intake fan installed at delivery needs liquid cooling to manage the CPU  temps at gaming loads. Going back to my early statement about controlling the movement of air, the lower intake fan helps move cool air to the GPU, but is not effective in this case in helping with CPU temps at load.   Having a fan there is necessary, but the obstructed case design reduces its effectiveness for overall case temps and balancing case pressure.

FYI, The idea of putting a front intake fan in this case isn’t new.  The XPS 8930 heat problems surfaced right away and  it was discovered by a few early XPS 8930 adopters that the SE version of the machine had a fan in the front intake position shown on ad videos.   The video also showed that there was a different CPU heatsink and fan available that cooled the CPU a little better. 

It didn’t take long to figure out this machine used the same fan as the Alienware R5/R6/R7 in the front intake position and that was the easiest and cheapest way to add a front intake fan.   That’s why  I bought that R5/R6 fan and bracket when I bought this machine to see if it was possible to liquid cool the CPU and  be able to use the XPS 8930 for gaming.

For those with the XPS 8930 and the i7 8700(k), CPU liquid cooling can be done but it isn’t always viable.  Just the lower fan isn’t enough to mitigate the CPU temps at load. The i7 8700 chip is a beast. Add a high end card and the heat builds up in the case fairly quickly. The amount of heat coming out of the top of my case even with both a liquid cooled CPU and GPU while playing Gambit on Destiny 2 at 3440 x 1440 and just 60 fps is scary.

Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Not nonsense at all, a 120mm fan in the bottom front is quite efficient. The problem is nobody bothers to extract the air from the outside only (see my thread on it). They put little fans in the front that blow hot air around inside the case and wonder why they didn't do any good. Not a gamer but my blasting fan days are over.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i wrote:

Yes, there is enough airflow through the grill to cool a Corsair AIO CPU liquid cooler.  Would help with the airflow in the upper part of the case across the CPU and out the upper exhaust.   Would have to move the HDD to the lower compartment..  Can use full size 25mm wide fan inside the case or slim 15mm fan outside the case using some mounting tape.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/...

With a typical full size dual fan GPU (10.5" length) the lower intake fan is more for airflow into the lower compartment and to help balance the case pressure..  The GPU blocks air from getting to the upper half of the case.  With a smaller GPU like the single fan GTX 1060 models (7" length) the lower fan would help with the upper compartment as well. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have an 8930 circa November 2017.  I usually leave it running 24x7.  It does not appear to have any fans other than the stock OEM air fans on the CPU and inside the PSU.  The CPU is an i7-8700.  The GPU is 1050-Ti.  It has one 8TB Seagate HDD and two 4TB Seagate HDDs.  The temperatures of those devices run at less than 35°C.

Should I add any fans?  When I opened the case, I expected to see one extractor fan near the top rear of the case and at least one or two sucker fans near the front bottom of the case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@Tahman    Should I add any fans? 

If your top exhaust fan is 92mm, that should be changed to 120mm fan. You can easily add a 120mm lower front intake fan with the Aurora R6/7/8 bracket. You can optionally add an upper front intake fan. This is what I did   XPS 8930 Fan and PSU Upgrade 

(click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3835.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

My top exhaust fan, which I did not see previously, appears to be a stock 92mm fan.  Thus, I should be able to replace it with a 120mm fan. Similarly, I should be able to add a 120mm lower front intake fan with the Aurora R6/7/8 bracket. I cannot add an upper front intake fan because that space is occupied by my 8TB Seagate Baracuda HDD. The two bottom HDD bays are occupied by my two 4TB Seagate Baracuda HDDs.

What brand and/or model is your CPU cooler?

Thank you for responding to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@Tahman    What brand and/or model is your CPU cooler?

The blower style CPU cooler is OEM Dell and came with the XPS 8930 if you ordered a 95 watt CPU (ends with "K" . . . like i9-9900K). They can be purchased separately if you are interested. In addition to the Aurora R6/7/8 black plastic bracket for the lower front intake fan, you will also need the Aurora R6/7/8 silver metal top exhaust fan bracket in order to mount your 120mm fan. This 120mm top exhaust fan will make the most difference in improving your heat/noise issues. With all of the HDD heat being generated in your case, the blower style CPU cooler would also be helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I've not tried to install a front case fan into the unit yet, however, I've managed to install an 80mm extra exhaust fan on the rear PCI slot grill.  (I'm not using any of the PCI slots)  I would imagine a thin factor fan may work in front if such exists.  I'll be looking into it too as someday I may want to use the PCI slots and remove the back fan.  There are no extra fan controllers on the MB so any extra fans need to be connected to the available power plugs from the power supply and run continuously.  I'd be interested to know if anyone did indeed find a front case fan that fits and successfully installed it.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have an XPS 8920 which appears to have the same case as the 8930. If that is true then yes, you can install a front fan. HOWEVER, it will have to be installed in the top-front hard drive bay which has fan mount holes for a 92mm case fan.  The HD drive basket is easily removable by just unscrewing to screws. Then you can install a 92x92x25mm case fan. You will have to snake the fan power cord through the drive bay and use a PWM fan splitter cable to plug the fan into the Mobo connector labelled "Top Fan". It is best to choose a PWM fan because you will be plugging it into a PWM fan header that powers the top fan and allows the Mobo to control fan speed based on temperature. I installed a ARCTIC F9 PWM PST - 92 mm Case Fan which came with a splitter cable. It's very quiet and I can't tell it's even running. Noctua also makes very quiet and efficient PWM fans that usually come with a full compliment of cables and other doo dads.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have an XPS 8920 which appears to have the same case as the 8930. If that is true then yes, you can install a front fan. HOWEVER, it will have to be installed in the top-front hard drive bay which has fan mount holes for a 92mm case fan. The HD drive basket is easily removable by just unscrewing to screws. Then you can install a 92x92x25mm case fan. You will have to snake the fan power cord through the drive bay and use a PWM fan splitter cable to plug the fan into the Mobo connector labelled "Top Fan". It is best to choose a PWM fan because you will be plugging it into a PWM fan header that powers the top fan and allows the Mobo to control fan speed based on temperature. I installed a ARCTIC F9 PWM PST - 92 mm Case Fan which came with a splitter cable. It's very quiet and I can't tell it's even running. Noctua also makes very quiet and efficient PWM fans that usually come with a full compliment of cables and other doo dads. Do you have pics?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@jimbob55 wrote:

I have an XPS 8920 which appears to have the same case as the 8930. If that is true then yes, you can install a front fan. HOWEVER, it will have to be installed in the top-front hard drive bay which has fan mount holes for a 92mm case fan.  The HD drive basket is easily removable by just unscrewing to screws. Then you can install a 92x92x25mm case fan. You will have to snake the fan power cord through the drive bay and use a PWM fan splitter cable to plug the fan into the Mobo connector labelled "Top Fan". It is best to choose a PWM fan because you will be plugging it into a PWM fan header that powers the top fan and allows the Mobo to control fan speed based on temperature. I installed a ARCTIC F9 PWM PST - 92 mm Case Fan which came with a splitter cable. It's very quiet and I can't tell it's even running. Noctua also makes very quiet and efficient PWM fans that usually come with a full compliment of cables and other doo dads.

Do you have pics?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

No, the bottom part of the rear of the front vents will take a 120mm fan and screw holes are not a problem (I used double sided tape anyway). I you use the top section of the rear of the front panel you will lose the HDD bay there.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@jimbob55 wrote:

From the picture posted upthread (I'll try to include it here) by flbigdog, the 92mm fan that comes with the Aurora R5-7 will snap in to the lower front of the XPS 8930 case. I only have 2 TB SSD, no spinners, so I have cleaned out all of the HDD cages.

IMG_7794.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i wrote:

@jimbob55 wrote:

From the picture posted upthread (I'll try to include it here) by flbigdog, the 92mm fan that comes with the Aurora R5-7 will snap in to the lower front of the XPS 8930 case. I only have 2 TB SSD, no spinners, so I have cleaned out all of the HDD cages.

Aurora R5-7 Series front chassis fan in 8930.Aurora R5-7 Series front chassis fan in 8930.

Yea but it's not a 120mm and your air is just circulating around inside, it's a bad setup. Did you see the front fan thread I made on it?

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
4 Tellurium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

HERE ;

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8920-added-120mm-front-fan-with-pictures/m-p/6117839...

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

Highlighted
4 Tellurium

There are a number of places to mount a fan.    Ideally you would install fans in two locations

1) The upper front intake area after moving the HDD to the rear bracket in the lower chassis.   The upper front area is a dead spot and hot air accumulates there and removing the hard drive and adding the intake fan increases airflow to the upper half of the chassis that is already problematic because of the cramped area from the swinging power supply being there.

2) The lower front intake area helps to cool the area below the GPU and PCI-e slots and hard drives you have in the lower part of the chassis.  Remove the lower slot tabs on the back of the machine.  If you have both hard drive brackets in that location and are not using one or the other, remove them, they just block airflow.

If you have a full size GPU installed like I do that is 10.5" long, the GPU basically divides the case into two parts as it restricts the airflow from the lower intake fan to the upper compartment.  So if you are having problems with CPU temps, you need to add a intake fan to the upper area as well to balance the case pressure.

Summary here:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-GPU-and-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-PSU-Case-Swap-Upgrade...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

There are a couple of LittleBear84 mad fan pics of possible locations of fans in the XPS 8930 case.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/...

In the upper intake front location, if you remove the upper HDD bracket you can place a fan there.  You can go to the extreme of drilling mounting holes for 120mm fans in the front of the chassis there but you can certainly use some advanced mounting tape to mount the fan in that location inside the chassis.  Full size 120mm x120mm x 25mm fan will fit.

In the lower front intake area, you can certainly install a fan using 546insp methods.  However, there is a mounting location at the XPS 8930 front intake for a Aurora R5/R6/R7 fan bracket that snaps in.  The XPS 8930 shares the same chassis with the current Aurora.  That would be the easiest way to put a fan there....just change the fan out if you want to put a different fan in that bracket.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

I think all you would ever need is a PWM 120mm fan in the lower rear of the front of the case and tie it into the top fan so they work together and it won't require removing any hdd bays. I think you just need an overall airflow from the front to the rear top but whatever you do block ALL venting around the new fan like I did so ONLY outside front air enters. Mounting with thick weather stripping will let your new fan "float" so it doesn't transmit any noise to the case. My computer is completely quiet now and the occasional fan noise from the top rear is gone. I can hold piece of light paper up to the side of the front of the case and the new front fan will hold it there.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@546insp wrote:

I think all you would ever need is a PWM 120mm fan in the lower rear of the front of the case and tie it into the top fan so they work together and it won't require removing any hdd bays. I think you just need an overall airflow from the front to the rear top but whatever you do block ALL venting around the new fan like I did so ONLY outside front air enters. Mounting with thick weather stripping will let your new fan "float" so it doesn't transmit any noise to the case. My computer is completely quiet now and the occasional fan noise from the top rear is gone. I can hold piece of light paper up to the side of the front of the case and the new front fan will hold it there.

I have to respectfully disagree.   Having a fan in the lower intake position is better than having no fan at all but here is a case with a full length card from a couple of views.......the GPU blocks effective airflow from the lower compartment and the power supply is above the GPU and hinders airflow even further.  How can you can effectively get airflow from that lower intake fan position up past those obstacles?  What it will do is lower temps by helping to create better airflow, balance case pressure and lower GPU temps.

img_4042_crx_sm-100705892-orig.jpg

img_4046_crx_sm-100705891-orig.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Not everyone has a long gpu like that and that is only the side view. I think the air does go around everything since it's pushed by the front fan and pulled by the top fan but without a test done with thick smoke it's hard to say exactly how it flows. I do know my lower front fan addition dropped the top exit temps quite a bit and completely cured my loud fan problem. After taking a look inside I see that the psu partially blocks both top and bottom front fan positions so I would say either both upper or lower front fan mounting would work about the same but no need to remove the hdd bay with the bottom mounted option. The main thing is to get 100% outside air coming in which I haven't seen anyone in here achieving yet. You have to completely block off all venting leading back to inside the case with tape (around your newly installed front fan).

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes, get the front fan from the Aurora R5-7, with the included black plastic bracket, runs around $19.99 on ebay right now. Buy a PWM fan splitter, open the case, slide battery compartment open, slide fan into place, it clips right into the front, install splitter, reconnect old fans, and you're done.

Good luck, I can add pictures later if needed.

Edit* pic addedAurora R5-7 Series front chassis fan in 8930.Aurora R5-7 Series front chassis fan in 8930.

Highlighted
3 Silver

Thanks for posting. I have an SSD and 3 Harddrives so the directed air flowing over the bottom mounted drives will definitely help. And, who doesn't love a OEM plug and play mount. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@mr_archer wrote:
Thanks for posting. I have an SSD and 3 Harddrives so the directed air flowing over the bottom mounted drives will definitely help. And, who doesn't love a OEM plug and play mount. Thanks!

That's nice but don't forget to block off all the air around it so it won't make a U turn and blow back in.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Thanks for the tip. So, I order the R5-7 front case fan and splitter and I end up getting a R5-7 TOP case fan. So, I'm obviously a little ticked but I take a look at the stock top case fan and notice it's much smaller. I see the tabs on the R5-7 frame plate appear to fit the 8930 case, but upon trial fitting, I see that when mounted, the front screw hole is off, but worse, the fan is at least 1/4" too forward of center for the top grate.

Assuming the SE's use the bigger top case fan, is there a different fan bracket used on the SE? It appears the bigger fan has twice the CFM so this should be a nice upgrade, but would prefer a plug and play bracket to avoid voiding the warranty.

Anyone sort this out?I 've searched and see a few posts about upgrading the top fan, but little detail and it appears they went aftermarket and drilled for screws or taped. Looking for a more stock solution. Thanks for any input. In the meantime, I'm hoping this eBay seller send the correct fan without too much trouble.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@mr_archer wrote:

Thanks for the tip. So, I order the R5-7 front case fan and splitter and I end up getting a R5-7 TOP case fan. So, I'm obviously a little ticked but I take a look at the stock top case fan and notice it's much smaller. I see the tabs on the R5-7 frame plate appear to fit the 8930 case, but upon trial fitting, I see that when mounted, the front screw hole is off, but worse, the fan is at least 1/4" too forward of center for the top grate.

Assuming the SE's use the bigger top case fan, is there a different fan bracket used on the SE? It appears the bigger fan has twice the CFM so this should be a nice upgrade, but would prefer a plug and play bracket to avoid voiding the warranty.

Anyone sort this out?I 've searched and see a few posts about upgrading the top fan, but little detail and it appears they went aftermarket and drilled for screws or taped. Looking for a more stock solution. Thanks for any input. In the meantime, I'm hoping this eBay seller send the correct fan without too much trouble.

I would just put a PWM 120mm Arctic brand in the front with double sided tape and the splitter it comes with and be done with it. (Like I did) Did you see my posts on it? Screws cause noise, arctic is quiet to start with. Is that one you ordered 120mm?

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I was able to find the correct 8920 SE top fan bracket on Ebay pretty reasonably. Also, the stock case fans are rubber mounted to the brackets. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@mr_archer wrote:

I was able to find the correct 8920 SE top fan bracket on Ebay pretty reasonably. Also, the stock case fans are rubber mounted to the brackets. 

You can easily drop a front 120mm fan in it and then remove it if you have to get a replacement on the warranty which probably won't happen. Did you see the thread I did on it with the pictures?

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@mr_archer wrote:

The silver edition is the same PC except for the silver front and it came with better GPU's

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@mr_archer wrote:

The 120mm top fan that came with the XPS 8930 is attached to a bracket with four black rubber fan pins that are reusable.   The bracket locks into the chassis on one side then fastens to the chassis on the other side with a single screw.    If you want to upgrade the fan to a quieter fan then just reuse the rubber pins.  

Here is a picture of a Corsair LED fan I put up there when I liquid cooled the i7 in this case.  It does light up the top of the case through the fan grill.  Later changed to a Noctua fan + Phantek Halo RGB fan frame

Lit up.jpg

IMG_5587.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Thanks for the reply Hanover.  Actually, my XPS 8930 did not come with a 120mm Top Case Fan.  That was what I was trying to reconcile.  Curiously, it came with a 92mm 60 CFM fan that seems to be contrary to what I'm seeing in other 8930's.  Seeing the 120mm fan has 2-1/2 times the CFM, it will perform far better and it should be quieter as well. 

IMG_20181112_095759992.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@mr_archer wrote:

Thanks for the reply Hanover.  Actually, my XPS 8930 did not come with a 120mm Top Case Fan.  That was what I was trying to reconcile.  Curiously, it came with a 92mm 60 CFM fan that seems to be contrary to what I'm seeing in other 8930's.  Seeing the 120mm fan has 2-1/2 times the CFM, it will perform far better and it should be quieter as well. 

You are not alone with that small fan in the bracket that doesn't line up with the opening in the chassis.  I was surprised to see one in my XPS 8930 as well.  Huh, what were they thinking?  Went the same route as you and got the correct fan bracket off the big auction site.

3a Little fan.jpg3 Littele fan.jpg

Fan I bought has a bracket a little different than yours but shares the same mounting holes.

Correct top fan.jpg

Correct top fan 2.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@HanoverB wrote:

@mr_archer wrote:

You are not alone with that small fan in the bracket that doesn't line up with the opening in the chassis.  I was surprised to see one in my XPS 8930 as well.  Huh, what were they thinking?  Went the same route as you and got the correct fan bracket off the big auction site.

3a Little fan.jpg3 Littele fan.jpg

Fan I bought has a bracket a little different than yours but shares the same mounting holes.

Correct top fan.jpg

Correct top fan 2.jpg

What a rip off from Dell, my 8920 has a 120mm top fan in it.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Yeah, I did find the correct 120mm bracket with the Top Fan, but it doesn't have the same fan itself pictured above.  So, I looked into the Noctura 120mm PWM offerings and when I reviewed the specs, most of them has CFM ratings of 55 to 70 CFM max - pretty much the same as the stock little one. Only the Industrial series went from 71 to 109 CFM.  So I'm going to swap out the Fan in the new bracket to the one pictured above that's 149 CFM rated and call it a day.  That with the matching front case fan, should be plenty to keep these 3 big spinners cool.

BTW Insp, I believe the 120's came with the SE's, and the 92's on the BLK for the 8930's. I think both in the 8920 series got the 120. Yes, definitely a down grade for the 8930 BLK's.  Easy enough to fix though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@mr_archer wrote:

Yeah, I did find the correct 120mm bracket with the Top Fan, but it doesn't have the same fan itself pictured above.  So, I looked into the Noctura 120mm PWM offerings and when I reviewed the specs, most of them has CFM ratings of 55 to 70 CFM max - pretty much the same as the stock little one. Only the Industrial series went from 71 to 109 CFM.  So I'm going to swap out the Fan in the new bracket to the one pictured above that's 149 CFM rated and call it a day.  That with the matching front case fan, should be plenty to keep these 3 big spinners cool.

BTW Insp, I believe the 120's came with the SE's, and the 92's on the BLK for the 8930's. I think both in the 8920 series got the 120. Yes, definitely a down grade for the 8930 BLK's.  Easy enough to fix though.

The Silver Editions only had a silver front and a better GPU, also the 120 will outperform a 92 any way you look at it and you will need all the fan you can get with all those spinners in there. You will need a 120 properly installed in the front also. Did you see the thread I did on the front one a while back? Now you have two 92mm fans when they should both be 120mm...……..it won't work. Fan air speed varies greatly with rpm so you can't compare fans with those facts and figures. 

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hello,

another noob here...can you tell me how/where to order the 120mm bracket and hi volume fan ?

I also have an XPS 8930 and I would like to upgrade it for my son to take to college and use for gaming as well as school work.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@woodenhead1   can you tell me how/where to order the 120mm bracket and hi volume fan ?

XPS 8930 Fan Upgrade 

Aurora R5 fan bracket (7M0F5) (top exhaust fan and front intake fan) can also be acquired on the big auction site

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@mr_archer wrote:

For the intake position a large slow moving fan that moves a lot of air is usually desired.  It typically is installed to create airflow into the machine for a better pressure gradient.  That is when you have to also balance the noise to performance aspects and the Noctua NF-SA12 FLX at a fixed 1200 RPM at 63 CFM and 17.8 dba does a nice job. 

That noise level at 18 dba is about the most I would want when the machine is at idle, but it never changes even under load.  By removing any unused hard drive brackets in the lower compartment and also the metal pci tabs at the back of the case, airflow is better in that lower compartment.

See how your noise tolerance is when you install the OEM intake fan that came with the snap in bracket and if you have it installed to the top fan header.  If you have the i7 8700 CPU in your machine then the same noise you have to deal with the top fan at load may annoy you at that front intake position.   Swap to the same Noctua fan if that happens and connect it to the TOP FAN header at fixed speed.

Glad you have it sorted out for now..  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

My front and top fans are 120mm and the front one is an Artic PWM fan which is mounted with thick tape and it's all very quiet. The front fan is tied in with the top fan so they both work together but I would have to put a big load on it for them to speed up even a little.
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Thanks Hanover.  Yes, adding the front 120mm case fan @ 149 CFM in the Aurora frame and the same 120mm/149 CFM fan in the correct top case frame, both running off the split PWM, I think I'll be in good shape.  In doing some stress tests with the 120mm fan, it sure is quiet.  Got the new frames ordered, with some filters so I should be set. Until I get around to the CPU cooler, that is. 

Incidentally, regarding these OEM 120mm fans, I have noticed that the Delta 7M0F5 is rated at 123 CFM while the newer AVC 7M0F5 is rated at 149 CFM.  I'm seeing both in pictures on Ebay for these replacement parts, so hopefully, this will help the next guy select the items with the better fan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

I'm not a fan (no pun) of reading cfm figures, just a little rpm difference and bogus hype will throw all that out the window. You can just look at the fan blades and size and get the all info that means anything, it's not rocket science, big fans move more air...…….

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Brilliant stuff there Insp. Keep on keeping on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

@mr_archer wrote:

I got the 8930 SE and it also have a 92mm top fan.

XPS 8930 Tower Special Edition

• Motherboard Chipset Intel Kaby Point Z370, Intel Coffee Lake-S
  • 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core Processor (16M Cache, up to 5.0 GHz)
  • 64GB, DDR4, 2666MHz Samsung
  • 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Toshiba
  • nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X: 3x DisplayPort 1.3 (1.4 Ready), HDMI 2.0, Dual Link DVI-D
  • 11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
  • Microsoft® Office Professional 2019
  • 2 x Dell UltraSharp U2717D 27” InfinityEdge Monitors

I am looking to add a 120mm intake fan to the front bottom (thanks 546insp) and a 120 intake fan to the front top (thanks HanoverB). Now I guess I also need a 120mm for the top exhaust. I already purchased the Aurora R5-7 snap-in fan from the big auction site for the lower front, but if it shows up 92mm, I will replace that with a 120mm.

For the 2 front fans: 3 pin or 4 pin?? where is the best place to plug them in for power??

This is my unit with all the spinner cages removed. I think you can also see the 92mm top fan. The cpu blower and heat sink do not match the Service Manual I downloaded.xIMG_3611.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG