Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

February 16th, 2018 01:00

XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

In an effort to cool my hard drive, I was wondering if a front case fan could be fit into an XPS 8930.  When I looked inside, there seems to be enough room for one.  I've never installed a fan before and I'm reading that it could be powered by plugging the power cable into a spot on the motherboard.  On the XPS 8930 motherboard, I do see the words "Front Fan" in a location where such a spot would exist but there's nothing to plug into.  Unlike the "Top Fan" and "CPU Fan" which do have something a power cable plugs into, I don't see anywhere in the motherboard where a front fan would plug into.  Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS 8930?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2018 12:00

Thank you very much for the input. Fortunately, from what I have seen, even the "higher end" fans are pretty reasonably priced. I also like the Noctua.

If I understand correctly, you have the 120mm / ~149 CFM fans in both the top exhaust fan position and the lower front intake fan position. Which of those is "modulated", and which is running full speed all the time?

70 Posts

December 21st, 2018 12:00

This is just my opinion - Noctura is a great fan. From what I hear, they are quiet due to the bearings and overall quality of materials, and the lower RPM.  Even the F12 Ind fan only pushes ~70 CFM, so I would suggest running them on High full time.  The stock 120mm / ~149 CFM fan probably does 50 CFM on low, and is totally inaudible.  Even as it spins up a bit to mid-range, at perhaps 100 CFM, I have yet to hear the case fans over the CPU or GPU fans.  I'm not advocating not upgrading to a better fan, but just agreeing with Hanover that if you go with a lower CFM fan - even though it's a better quality and quieter fan, you need to run it faster to keep the air flow moving.  So far, my upgrade to the 120mm / ~149 CFM Top and Front fans have provided all I need for now, but I very well might upgrade one or both at a later date if I notice any temp issues. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2018 13:00

My PC also came with the 92mm top exhaust fan. I will be replacing that with some kind of 120mm fan. I see your point about moving air volume, and none of the fans that I linked in my post come close to the ~149 CFM. I will have to cogitate further.

I am also misunderstanding the PWM Y connector. I thought that there was one 4-pin connector for modulation and one 3-pin connector for power only at full speed. Maybe it is one 4-pin connector for sensor reading, and both connectors are modulated?

70 Posts

December 21st, 2018 13:00

Yes, the Noctura's are great fans, no doubt about that, and a great upgrade. Again, you just have to run them full speed - or at least one of them, to push the volume of air.

That said, to answer your question, Yes, I am running the stock 120MM / 149 CFM fans in the top and front of the case. Stock, my machine came with the puny 92mm top fan only. I didn't necessarily notice a problem, but wanted some piece of mind.

I'm pretty good with this set up for now. I have these wired to the MOBO modulated connector using the PWM splitter. As such, neither are running full speed and are MOBO controlled. However, even after my kid plays his games, and checking on NZXT Cam, I've never seen the CPU or GPU get much over 70c and the top fan output is still plenty reasonable - and I doubt either case fan has ever had to go to high, so all's good.

732 Posts

December 21st, 2018 14:00

@mr_archer wrote:
Do we really have to hear about your duct tape umpteen times on this, and every other thread that pops up? That and the EVO 970 incompatibility proclamations too. I don't mean to be rude, but can you please give us a break already? I know you think you revolutionized industry and that's cool, but until your patent get approved, you might want to use a little restraint. Thanks bud.

You are rude, I was just trying to help but it looks like you didn't do your install right and it's my fault. My patent doesn't need approval, it's a no brainer. Did you follow my helpful air directing idea? I don't think so. You just sabotaged your own work.

70 Posts

546Insp - Coming from the guy who insisted that you don't need a mounting screw to install a M.2 SSD, and advised dozens of people the EVO 970 was incompatible.  That was brilliant, LOL. This new sabotage alert is a great runner up!  

I can assure you, I don't need any help from you, ever.  As stated earlier, my set up is perfectly fine and icy cold, thankyouverymuch. I've tried to be polite and I'm really sorry, but it gets very tiring having to read your duct tape posts every single time someone posts.  I have to hand it to Hanover for having much more patience with you than me.

I hate to state the obvious, but the Alienware front fan bracket did not require a bunch of duct tape from the factory to make it work perfectly fine on the Aurora's.  I'm glad you think this a mission critical mod - and no doubt, you are obviously **bleep** proud of yourself.  That's cool.  I just don't need you ramming it down my throat every time I post. I've been ignoring you for a reason, but you just never clue in.  Just STOP already - I'm not interested in your mod nor any of your advice.  Happy Holidays.

70 Posts

Dell630i - The PWM Y connector I got had 4 leads going to both fans, just like stock.  So, I removed the lead from the Top Fan to the MOBO, inserted the Y connector, and then plugged the two fans into the connector. Pretty straight forward.  The fans are completely controlled by the MOBO. Works great.

70 Posts

December 21st, 2018 15:00

@546insp wrote:

You are rude, I was just trying to help but it looks like you didn't do your install right and it's my fault. My patent doesn't need approval, it's a no brainer. Did you follow my helpful air directing idea? I don't think so. You just sabotaged your own work.

I really am not interested in your mod.  No matter how many times you broken record your mod, I have zero interest. Just give it a break.

798 Posts

@Anonymous wrote:

My PC also came with the 92mm top exhaust fan. I will be replacing that with some kind of 120mm fan. I see your point about moving air volume, and none of the fans that I linked in my post come close to the ~149 CFM. I will have to cogitate further.

I am also misunderstanding the PWM Y connector. I thought that there was one 4-pin connector for modulation and one 3-pin connector for power only at full speed. Maybe it is one 4-pin connector for sensor reading, and both connectors are modulated?

You want nothing to do with the stock fan it if is turning fast enough to move 149 CFM.  The noise will be an issue.  But if your CPU and case temps are reasonable, the stock fans, as reported by Archer, are not noisy and the GPU and CPU cooler fans might be the loudest fans in the case.  

The way the PWM Y connectors work is that they supply the same voltage to both PWM fans to run at the same speed, but you can only monitor the speed on only one fan.  The pin at #3 is the tach cable and is used for monitoring fan speed.  It is present on only one of the legs of the adapter. 

You can use a 3 pin fan in the 4 pin connector but it will run at 100% since it isn't being modulated without the 4th pin being present. 

798 Posts

@mr_archer wrote:

Dell630i - The PWM Y connector I got had 4 leads going to both fans, just like stock.  So, I removed the lead from the Top Fan to the MOBO, inserted the Y connector, and then plugged the two fans into the connector. Pretty straight forward.  The fans are completely controlled by the MOBO. Works great.

I would second this.

Try the existing fans that come with the brackets top and lower intake using the Y connector to the top fan header.  Since you are not gaming then they might suffice.   You can always change them out and add the upper intake fan later.

With the new PSU the options to add fixed fans to molex connectors is much easier.   The Noctua fans come with the 3 pin to molex adapter for fixed speed installations.  Should not have to buy any adapters, they also come with Y connectors and a extension adapter for longer runs.  

For the 120mm fans, if you upgrade to Noctua at some point 

NF-S12A FLX 3 pin fan for fixed speed.  1200/900/700 RPM

NF S12A PWM  for 4 pin PWM  1200/900/700 RPM

The NF-A12x25 PWM fan is also a nice fan but it has to spin at 2000 RPM to move as much air as the NF-S12A fan does at 1200 RPM with more noise.  It more of a do it all fan that can be used for airflow applications or as a static pressure fan for radiators.  The NF-S12A is more of a case fan and is great for intake and exhaust applications.

These are better fans than the ones you linked in a prior post.

732 Posts

December 21st, 2018 16:00

@mr_archer wrote:

@546insp wrote:

I really am not interested in your mod.  No matter how many times you broken record your mod, I have zero interest. Just give it a break.

If you used screws in your from fan and didn't bother to direct any air with tape you cheated yourself out of a much better mod.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2018 17:00

@mr_archer wrote:

OK, thanks. I found PWM splitters with multiple 4-pin leads. That one site I have been looking on did not have them, so I just figured the did not exist. I need to look around more. Appreciate the help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 21st, 2018 18:00

@HanoverB wrote:

@mr_archer wrote:

I would second this.

Try the existing fans that come with the brackets top and lower intake using the Y connector to the top fan header.  Since you are not gaming then they might suffice.   You can always change them out and add the upper intake fan later.

With the new PSU the options to add fixed fans to molex connectors is much easier.   The Noctua fans come with the 3 pin to molex adapter for fixed speed installations.  Should not have to buy any adapters, they also come with Y connectors and a extension adapter for longer runs.  

For the 120mm fans, if you upgrade to Noctua at some point 

NF-S12A FLX 3 pin fan for fixed speed.  1200/900/700 RPM

NF S12A PWM  for 4 pin PWM  1200/900/700 RPM

The NF-A12x25 PWM fan is also a nice fan but it has to spin at 2000 RPM to move as much air as the NF-S12A fan does at 1200 RPM with more noise.  It more of a do it all fan that can be used for airflow applications or as a static pressure fan for radiators.  The NF-S12A is more of a case fan and is great for intake and exhaust applications.

These are better fans than the ones you linked in a prior post.

OK, much thanks again for the information and advice. 

You have the @NF-S12A FLX 3-pin fixed speed @ 1200 RPM for your top exhaust fan, correct? The top exhaust fan is the more critical decision for me at this time. Recall that to change out that fan in my computer, I have to remove the CPU blower fan/heat sink. That might seem easy to you guys, but since I have never done anything like that before, it is causing me a bit of anxiety. Hopefully, I will be reading this post in a few months and laughing at myself. The 2 front fans appear to be much easier to swap out if desired. It looks like I will need to pull out the nVidia GPU to get the front lower fan installed. The GPU removal looks pretty simple. Please tell me if I am missing something there. It is unfortunate that we can have no confidence in the service manual.

The PSU swap out also looks pretty straight forward. Let me know if you have any tips or warnings for that installation.

@I am thinking if I go with the Noctua for the top exhaust fan, I would want to keep it fixed @ 1200 RPM and flow about 63 CFM. There seems no reason to slow it down if it is quiet. It is not like a CPU can get "too cool". For the front top fan, which has a lot of obstructions with the PSU, cables & connectors, and memory cards sticking out; maybe modulate this fan or slow it down for a nice even flow. For the lower front fan, which in my computer has essentially no obstructions, since I have no spinning discs and the cages have all been removed; all I need to do is push hot exhaust air from the GPU out the back of the case; not sure what to do here??

So while I am waiting for the PSU to get here, I can buy some PWM splitters, thermal compound, and decide on some fans.

Thanks again!!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2018 22:00

@HanoverB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You want nothing to do with the stock fan it if is turning fast enough to move 149 CFM.  The noise will be an issue.  But if your CPU and case temps are reasonable, the stock fans, as reported by Archer, are not noisy enough and the GPU and CPU cooler fans might be the loudest fans in the case.  

The way the PWM Y connectors work is that they supply the same voltage to both PWM fans but you can only monitor the speed on only one fan.  You can use a 3 pin fan in the 4 pin connector but it will run at 100% since it isn't being modulated without the 4th pin being present.

OK, these are the project items that are in hand on the way. My current plan (subject to advice herein) is to put the Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3-Pin fan in the top exhaust position using the Aurora R5 top bracket. I got two of the Noctua NF-S12A PWM 4-Pin fans for the front upper and lower positions that I will 'daisy chain' from the mobo top fan header with two of the PWM 4-pin fan splitter cables (not sure which one yet). I will not use the lower front fan Aurora R5 snap-in bracket to mount the Noctua fan. I got rubber gaskets for the intake fans on the inside of the case and the mesh filters on the outside of the case to try to get a good seal. I will block off any extraneous air intake to ensure I am not recycling hot air from inside the case.Project Page1.JPG

Project Page2.JPG

Project Page3.JPG

732 Posts

January 21st, 2019 13:00

@Anonymous wrote:

@HanoverB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You want nothing to do with the stock fan it if is turning fast enough to move 149 CFM.  The noise will be an issue.  But if your CPU and case temps are reasonable, the stock fans, as reported by Archer, are not noisy enough and the GPU and CPU cooler fans might be the loudest fans in the case.  

The way the PWM Y connectors work is that they supply the same voltage to both PWM fans but you can only monitor the speed on only one fan.  You can use a 3 pin fan in the 4 pin connector but it will run at 100% since it isn't being modulated without the 4th pin being present.

OK, these are the project items that are in hand on the way. My current plan (subject to advice herein) is to put the Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3-Pin fan in the top exhaust position using the Aurora R5 top bracket. I got two of the Noctua NF-S12A PWM 4-Pin fans for the front upper and lower positions that I will 'daisy chain' from the mobo top fan header with two of the PWM 4-pin fan splitter cables (not sure which one yet). I will not use the lower front fan Aurora R5 snap-in bracket to mount the Noctua fan. I got rubber gaskets for the intake fans on the inside of the case and the mesh filters on the outside of the case to try to get a good seal. I will block off any extraneous air intake to ensure I am not recycling hot air from inside the case.Project Page1.JPG

Project Page2.JPG

Project Page3.JPG

So what size are all these fans? I hope all will be 120mm

No Events found!