Highlighted
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?


@Dell630i wrote:

My PC also came with the 92mm top exhaust fan. I will be replacing that with some kind of 120mm fan. I see your point about moving air volume, and none of the fans that I linked in my post come close to the ~149 CFM. I will have to cogitate further.

I am also misunderstanding the PWM Y connector. I thought that there was one 4-pin connector for modulation and one 3-pin connector for power only at full speed. Maybe it is one 4-pin connector for sensor reading, and both connectors are modulated?


You want nothing to do with the stock fan it if is turning fast enough to move 149 CFM.  The noise will be an issue.  But if your CPU and case temps are reasonable, the stock fans, as reported by Archer, are not noisy and the GPU and CPU cooler fans might be the loudest fans in the case.  

The way the PWM Y connectors work is that they supply the same voltage to both PWM fans to run at the same speed, but you can only monitor the speed on only one fan.  The pin at #3 is the tach cable and is used for monitoring fan speed.  It is present on only one of the legs of the adapter. 

You can use a 3 pin fan in the 4 pin connector but it will run at 100% since it isn't being modulated without the 4th pin being present. 

Reply
Highlighted
546insp
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?


@mr_archer wrote:

@546insp wrote:

You are rude, I was just trying to help but it looks like you didn't do your install right and it's my fault. My patent doesn't need approval, it's a no brainer. Did you follow my helpful air directing idea? I don't think so. You just sabotaged your own work.

I really am not interested in your mod.  No matter how many times you broken record your mod, I have zero interest. Just give it a break.


If you used screws in your from fan and didn't bother to direct any air with tape you cheated yourself out of a much better mod.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

Reply
Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?


@mr_archer wrote:

Dell630i - The PWM Y connector I got had 4 leads going to both fans, just like stock.  So, I removed the lead from the Top Fan to the MOBO, inserted the Y connector, and then plugged the two fans into the connector. Pretty straight forward.  The fans are completely controlled by the MOBO. Works great.


OK, thanks. I found PWM splitters with multiple 4-pin leads. That one site I have been looking on did not have them, so I just figured the did not exist. I need to look around more. Appreciate the help.

Reply
Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?


@HanoverB wrote:

@mr_archer wrote:

Dell630i - The PWM Y connector I got had 4 leads going to both fans, just like stock.  So, I removed the lead from the Top Fan to the MOBO, inserted the Y connector, and then plugged the two fans into the connector. Pretty straight forward.  The fans are completely controlled by the MOBO. Works great.


I would second this.

Try the existing fans that come with the brackets top and lower intake using the Y connector to the top fan header.  Since you are not gaming then they might suffice.   You can always change them out and add the upper intake fan later.

With the new PSU the options to add fixed fans to molex connectors is much easier.   The Noctua fans come with the 3 pin to molex adapter for fixed speed installations.  Should not have to buy any adapters, they also come with Y connectors and a extension adapter for longer runs.  

 

For the 120mm fans, if you upgrade to Noctua at some point 

 

NF-S12A FLX 3 pin fan for fixed speed.  1200/900/700 RPM

NF S12A PWM  for 4 pin PWM  1200/900/700 RPM

 

The NF-A12x25 PWM fan is also a nice fan but it has to spin at 2000 RPM to move as much air as the NF-S12A fan does at 1200 RPM with more noise.  It more of a do it all fan that can be used for airflow applications or as a static pressure fan for radiators.  The NF-S12A is more of a case fan and is great for intake and exhaust applications.

These are better fans than the ones you linked in a prior post.

 

 

 


OK, much thanks again for the information and advice. 

You have the @NF-S12A FLX 3-pin fixed speed @ 1200 RPM for your top exhaust fan, correct? The top exhaust fan is the more critical decision for me at this time. Recall that to change out that fan in my computer, I have to remove the CPU blower fan/heat sink. That might seem easy to you guys, but since I have never done anything like that before, it is causing me a bit of anxiety. Hopefully, I will be reading this post in a few months and laughing at myself. The 2 front fans appear to be much easier to swap out if desired. It looks like I will need to pull out the nVidia GPU to get the front lower fan installed. The GPU removal looks pretty simple. Please tell me if I am missing something there. It is unfortunate that we can have no confidence in the service manual.

The PSU swap out also looks pretty straight forward. Let me know if you have any tips or warnings for that installation.

@I am thinking if I go with the Noctua for the top exhaust fan, I would want to keep it fixed @ 1200 RPM and flow about 63 CFM. There seems no reason to slow it down if it is quiet. It is not like a CPU can get "too cool". For the front top fan, which has a lot of obstructions with the PSU, cables & connectors, and memory cards sticking out; maybe modulate this fan or slow it down for a nice even flow. For the lower front fan, which in my computer has essentially no obstructions, since I have no spinning discs and the cages have all been removed; all I need to do is push hot exhaust air from the GPU out the back of the case; not sure what to do here??

So while I am waiting for the PSU to get here, I can buy some PWM splitters, thermal compound, and decide on some fans.

Thanks again!!

Reply
Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?


@HanoverB wrote:

@Dell630i wrote:

My PC also came with the 92mm top exhaust fan. I will be replacing that with some kind of 120mm fan. I see your point about moving air volume, and none of the fans that I linked in my post come close to the ~149 CFM. I will have to cogitate further.

I am also misunderstanding the PWM Y connector. I thought that there was one 4-pin connector for modulation and one 3-pin connector for power only at full speed. Maybe it is one 4-pin connector for sensor reading, and both connectors are modulated?


You want nothing to do with the stock fan it if is turning fast enough to move 149 CFM.  The noise will be an issue.  But if your CPU and case temps are reasonable, the stock fans, as reported by Archer, are not noisy enough and the GPU and CPU cooler fans might be the loudest fans in the case.  

The way the PWM Y connectors work is that they supply the same voltage to both PWM fans but you can only monitor the speed on only one fan.  You can use a 3 pin fan in the 4 pin connector but it will run at 100% since it isn't being modulated without the 4th pin being present.


OK, these are the project items that are in hand on the way. My current plan (subject to advice herein) is to put the Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3-Pin fan in the top exhaust position using the Aurora R5 top bracket. I got two of the Noctua NF-S12A PWM 4-Pin fans for the front upper and lower positions that I will 'daisy chain' from the mobo top fan header with two of the PWM 4-pin fan splitter cables (not sure which one yet). I will not use the lower front fan Aurora R5 snap-in bracket to mount the Noctua fan. I got rubber gaskets for the intake fans on the inside of the case and the mesh filters on the outside of the case to try to get a good seal. I will block off any extraneous air intake to ensure I am not recycling hot air from inside the case.Project Page1.JPG

 Project Page2.JPG

 Project Page3.JPG

 

 

Reply
Highlighted
546insp
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?


@Dell630i wrote:

@HanoverB wrote:

@Dell630i wrote:

My PC also came with the 92mm top exhaust fan. I will be replacing that with some kind of 120mm fan. I see your point about moving air volume, and none of the fans that I linked in my post come close to the ~149 CFM. I will have to cogitate further.

I am also misunderstanding the PWM Y connector. I thought that there was one 4-pin connector for modulation and one 3-pin connector for power only at full speed. Maybe it is one 4-pin connector for sensor reading, and both connectors are modulated?


You want nothing to do with the stock fan it if is turning fast enough to move 149 CFM.  The noise will be an issue.  But if your CPU and case temps are reasonable, the stock fans, as reported by Archer, are not noisy enough and the GPU and CPU cooler fans might be the loudest fans in the case.  

The way the PWM Y connectors work is that they supply the same voltage to both PWM fans but you can only monitor the speed on only one fan.  You can use a 3 pin fan in the 4 pin connector but it will run at 100% since it isn't being modulated without the 4th pin being present.


OK, these are the project items that are in hand on the way. My current plan (subject to advice herein) is to put the Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3-Pin fan in the top exhaust position using the Aurora R5 top bracket. I got two of the Noctua NF-S12A PWM 4-Pin fans for the front upper and lower positions that I will 'daisy chain' from the mobo top fan header with two of the PWM 4-pin fan splitter cables (not sure which one yet). I will not use the lower front fan Aurora R5 snap-in bracket to mount the Noctua fan. I got rubber gaskets for the intake fans on the inside of the case and the mesh filters on the outside of the case to try to get a good seal. I will block off any extraneous air intake to ensure I am not recycling hot air from inside the case.Project Page1.JPG

 Project Page2.JPG

 Project Page3.JPG

 

 


So what size are all these fans? I hope all will be 120mm

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

Reply
Highlighted
rh310
2 Iron

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

To those who replaced the 92mm TOP fan in their 8930 with a 120mm fan, where did you find a bracket to mount that 120mm fan to?  I'm guessing/hoping the same bracket that the 8920 presumably uses.

Reply
Highlighted
Vic384
4 Beryllium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

You can find mounting brackets on eBay.

Reply
rh310
2 Iron

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

I've seen ones to mount a front fan, but not for the top 120mm fan.

Reply
Highlighted
546insp
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?


@rh310 wrote:

I've seen ones to mount a front fan, but not for the top 120mm fan.


I'm sure you could make one or used double sided tape which also helps with noise. My 8920 came with a 120mm in it and after adding another 120mm in front with tape it is all quiet and good.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

Reply