Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

February 16th, 2018 01:00

XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

In an effort to cool my hard drive, I was wondering if a front case fan could be fit into an XPS 8930.  When I looked inside, there seems to be enough room for one.  I've never installed a fan before and I'm reading that it could be powered by plugging the power cable into a spot on the motherboard.  On the XPS 8930 motherboard, I do see the words "Front Fan" in a location where such a spot would exist but there's nothing to plug into.  Unlike the "Top Fan" and "CPU Fan" which do have something a power cable plugs into, I don't see anywhere in the motherboard where a front fan would plug into.  Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS 8930?

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 19:00

To those who replaced the 92mm TOP fan in their 8930 with a 120mm fan, where did you find a bracket to mount that 120mm fan to?  I'm guessing/hoping the same bracket that the 8920 presumably uses.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 24th, 2019 03:00

You can find mounting brackets on eBay.

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

January 24th, 2019 10:00

I've seen ones to mount a front fan, but not for the top 120mm fan.

732 Posts

January 24th, 2019 11:00

@rh310 wrote:

I've seen ones to mount a front fan, but not for the top 120mm fan.

I'm sure you could make one or used double sided tape which also helps with noise. My 8920 came with a 120mm in it and after adding another 120mm in front with tape it is all quiet and good.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 24th, 2019 11:00

You are right, the ones listed are for the XPS 8910 & 8920. I don't know if the XPS 8930 can use the same bracket.

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

January 24th, 2019 12:00

Ok, see it.  Was not searching for 8920.  Yes, almost certain that will fit.  It doesn't say 120mm but I think ALL 8920's got 120mm top fans.  Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

January 24th, 2019 12:00

@546insp wrote:

I'm sure you could make one or used double sided tape which also helps with noise. My 8920 came with a 120mm in it and after adding another 120mm in front with tape it is all quiet and good.

When my 8930 debacle is over with, I'm going to consider that for my 8920 also.  I didn't realize there was space for a fan in the front.  If I end up keeping the 8930, I'll probably do the same.  

732 Posts

January 24th, 2019 19:00

@rh310 wrote:

@546insp wrote:

When my 8930 debacle is over with, I'm going to consider that for my 8920 also.  I didn't realize there was space for a fan in the front.  If I end up keeping the 8930, I'll probably do the same.  

Read my thread on how I did it before you do it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 31st, 2019 20:00

@546insp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@HanoverB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My PC also came with the 92mm top exhaust fan. I will be replacing that with some kind of 120mm fan. I see your point about moving air volume, and none of the fans that I linked in my post come close to the ~149 CFM. I will have to cogitate further.

I am also misunderstanding the PWM Y connector. I thought that there was one 4-pin connector for modulation and one 3-pin connector for power only at full speed. Maybe it is one 4-pin connector for sensor reading, and both connectors are modulated?

You want nothing to do with the stock fan it if is turning fast enough to move 149 CFM.  The noise will be an issue.  But if your CPU and case temps are reasonable, the stock fans, as reported by Archer, are not noisy enough and the GPU and CPU cooler fans might be the loudest fans in the case.  

The way the PWM Y connectors work is that they supply the same voltage to both PWM fans but you can only monitor the speed on only one fan.  You can use a 3 pin fan in the 4 pin connector but it will run at 100% since it isn't being modulated without the 4th pin being present.

OK, these are the project items that are in hand on the way. My current plan (subject to advice herein) is to put the Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3-Pin fan in the top exhaust position using the Aurora R5 top bracket. I got two of the Noctua NF-S12A PWM 4-Pin fans for the front upper and lower positions that I will 'daisy chain' from the mobo top fan header with two of the PWM 4-pin fan splitter cables (not sure which one yet). I will not use the lower front fan Aurora R5 snap-in bracket to mount the Noctua fan. I got rubber gaskets for the intake fans on the inside of the case and the mesh filters on the outside of the case to try to get a good seal. I will block off any extraneous air intake to ensure I am not recycling hot air from inside the case.

So what size are all these fans? I hope all will be 120mm

yes, all 120 mm

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 31st, 2019 20:00

@rh310 wrote:

Ok, see it.  Was not searching for 8920.  Yes, almost certain that will fit.  It doesn't say 120mm but I think ALL 8920's got 120mm top fans.  Thanks!

Search for Dell XPS 8910 8920 Alienware Aurora R5 Top Cooling Case Fan 7M0F5 07M0F5 X64T5

All of these cases are the same. My XPS 8930 also came with 92 mm top fan. I am replacing with this bracket purchased from the auction sitetop exhaust fan.jpg

. . . and this 120 mm fan916lbfzMxBL._SL1500_.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

163 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 09:00

How do you plan to mount the Noctua in the front?  I've seen the setup @546insp created which looks nice.  I've got the stock front fan w/mount which I'm going to try.  But I also like the simpler approach of adding a fixed speed Noctua in the front - powered via SATA - so I don't have to unbuckle the CPU fan/heat-sink just to get power.  The price I pay for getting the bigger CPU :-) 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2019 12:00

@rh310 wrote:

How do you plan to mount the Noctua in the front?  I've seen the setup @546insp created which looks nice.  I've got the stock front fan w/mount which I'm going to try.  But I also like the simpler approach of adding a fixed speed Noctua in the front - powered via SATA - so I don't have to unbuckle the CPU fan/heat-sink just to get power.  The price I pay for getting the bigger CPU :-) 

I am going to drill holes and run bolts through with filter screens on the outside. I have to remove the CPU fan/heat sink to change the top exhaust fan to 120 mm, so I am taking that opportunity to also upgrade the PSU to 850 watts. Right now the front fans are just wedged in place with rubber gasket, until I can get on this project (hopefully tomorrow). Even with this funky set-up, CPU & GPU run at much cooler temps.

IMG_3656.JPG

fine-mesh-120mm-square-design-aluminum-fan-filter-black-2_1800x.jpeg

732 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 08:00

It boggles my mind how Dell went backwards on their fan noise problem. That's like Ford saying; The wheels are coming off the pickup trucks, we better start using flimsier ones.....lol. 

732 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 08:00

The way those fans are in that picture they are doing very little, I hate to toot my own horn but you need to do it like I did. 

798 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 10:00

@546insp wrote:

The way those fans are in that picture they are doing very little, I hate to toot my own horn but you need to do it like I did. 

Disagree... any fan in the upper compartment helps direct airlfow in the upper part of the chassis to the upper exhaust fan.   This case has too many obstructions for the lower fan to be effective by itself.  The lower fan is more for the GPU.

No Events found!