HanoverB
3 Argentium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

@Dell630i wrote:

If I understand what you are saying, I should use the 120 mm Noctua NF-S12A FLX fan in that top exhaust position, plugged directly into the MB, with no "Low-Noise Adapter".

Perfect

For the top front position, I will have the 92 mm Noctua FLX fan mentioned above.

Good choice and easy.  You can go straight to PSU as its right there.

Option and for future reference: You should have a 3 pin Y adapter with the Noctua fans and you can connect both of those fans to the TOP FAN motherboard connector.  Both running fixed.  If you go direct to the PSU, use molex or your SATA to PWM fan adapter/splitter which works great for 3  pin fans as well.

You can put a LNA on the 92mm fan if you want, but I think it will be fine after looking at the specs 17.1 dBA at 1600 RPM.. (~ same dBA as the 120mm SA12 fans)

For the lower front position, I will have to start with a 120 mm Noctua PWM fan in the Aurora R5 mounting bracket. I can replace this with a FLX fan later, if necessary.

Your SATA to PWM fan adapter/splitter is perfect for what you are doing here.  The PWM fan will run fixed at 1200 RPM  just like the FLX fan would.  PSU is right there.

Option and for future reference if you are without those SATA to PWM adapters: You know you have those 3 pin to molex adapters with those other fans. In a pinch, you can use those to connect any PWM fan to get fixed speed by cutting off the side to accommodate the wider plug, same with LNA. (Thanks AlienBlaster)

I currently have two 120 mm Noctua fans temporarily wedged in the front fan positions with rubber gasket strips. I am picking up power with a SATA to PWM fan splitter cable. I also have the "Low-Noise Adapter" plugged into both fans. I was originally planning to run a splitter off the MB to power the front fans, but now after I install the Seasonic 850, I can get power for the front fans with either SATA or Molex adapters. I don't see any reason to use the MB for power.

One more note: since I am not drilling any holes and running bolts, I needed to come up with a mechanism for mounting those dust filters I linked to up-thread. I used some magnetic tape and trimmed it neatly, which is going to work out just perfectly.

You can take those LNA adapters off  if those are the NF-S12A fans, at 1200 RPM fixed they should be real quiet.   The drop from 1200 RPM to 900 RPM with the LNA does almost halve the noise with only a 20% drop in airflow so I can see that as well.

In regards to the dust issue, I pick up very little dust on the upper intake fan position with the fan filter I have there.

I do pick up a lot of dust on the lower intake fan.  A LOT.  I am constantly cleaning that front filter over the blowhole.  That’s probably why none gets to the upper one!

Sounds like you have things well under control and you are set.:Yes:

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Argentium

@HanoverB wrote:

@Dell630i wrote:

If I understand what you are saying, I should use the 120 mm Noctua NF-S12A FLX fan in that top exhaust position, plugged directly into the MB, with no "Low-Noise Adapter".

Perfect

For the top front position, I will have the 92 mm Noctua FLX fan mentioned above.

Option and for future reference: You should have a 3 pin Y adapter with the Noctua fans and you can connect both of those fans to the TOP FAN motherboard connector.  Both running fixed.  If you go direct to the PSU, use molex or your SATA to PWM fan adapter/splitter which works great for 3  pin fans as well.

You can put a LNA on the 92mm fan if you want, but I think it will be fine after looking at the specs 17.1 dBA at 1600 RPM.. (~ same dBA as the 120mm SA12 fans)

For the lower front position, I will have to start with a 120 mm Noctua PWM fan in the Aurora R5 mounting bracket. I can replace this with a FLX fan later, if necessary.

Your SATA to PWM fan adapter/splitter is perfect for what you are doing here.  The PWM fan will run fixed at 1200 RPM  just like the FLX fan would.  PSU is right there.

Option and for future reference if you are without those SATA to PWM adapters: You know you have those 3 pin to molex adapters with those other fans. In a pinch, you can use those to connect any PWM fan to get fixed speed by cutting off the side to accommodate the wider plug, same with LNA. (Thanks AlienBlaster)

I currently have two 120 mm Noctua fans temporarily wedged in the front fan positions with rubber gasket strips. I am picking up power with a SATA to PWM fan splitter cable. I also have the "Low-Noise Adapter" plugged into both fans. I was originally planning to run a splitter off the MB to power the front fans, but now after I install the Seasonic 850, I can get power for the front fans with either SATA or Molex adapters. I don't see any reason to use the MB for power.

One more note: since I am not drilling any holes and running bolts, I needed to come up with a mechanism for mounting those dust filters I linked to up-thread. I used some magnetic tape and trimmed it neatly, which is going to work out just perfectly.

You can take those LNA adapters off  if those are the NF-S12A fans, at 1200 RPM fixed they should be real quiet.   The drop from 1200 RPM to 900 RPM with the LNA does almost halve the noise with only a 20% drop in airflow so I can see that as well.

In regards to the dust issue, I pick up very little dust on the upper intake fan position with the fan filter I have there.

I do pick up a lot of dust on the lower intake fan.  A LOT.  I am constantly cleaning that front filter over the blowhole.  That’s probably why none gets to the upper one!

Sounds like you have things well under control and you are set.:Yes:

Another reason I would never install a top front fan. The top one just blows air that hits the PSU cage, drops down, goes back, and then up (if it ever makes it that far), not to mention you have to permanently remove the top HDD cage. It's much better to just block the top off and draw from the bottom so the bottom one draws from OUTSIDE.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Argentium

@546insp wrote:

@HanoverB wrote:

@Dell630i wrote:

Another reason I would never install a top front fan. The top one just blows air that hits the PSU cage, drops down, goes back, and then up (if it ever makes it that far), not to mention you have to permanently remove the top HDD cage. It's much better to just block the top off and draw from the bottom so the bottom one draws from OUTSIDE.

Pics of area of upper part of case with upper front intake fan installed

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7528.jpg

Pics of fan bracket relative to PSU bracket reflecting coverage of fan for this location.   Aprrox. 2/3 of the fan is actually under the PSU bracket. 

IMG_7483.jpgIMG_7484.jpg

0 Kudos
Jacobong521
1 Nickel

Hi, i really thankful for all of you sharing your idea and experience in this topic,

it's does help people like me.

i would like to share my experience too, my objective are cooling performance first noise reduction come later.

1. Replace Dell stock cpu cooler with NOCTUA NH-L9i by replace the stock mobo backplate with any LGA 115X mobo backplate. Not much gaining from here like reduce around max 3°C? LOL! but noise reduction does have a huge different even NOCTUA CPU COOLER FAN spin at max 2500 rpm.

2. Replace Dell stock 92mm top exhaust to COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW X 12 and adding another 2 COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW X 12 to front top and bottom. Manage to gain like -8°C to -10°C by adding these (GPU only gaining minor improvement i am not sure why but is ok because my GPU max temp only stay at 75°C while running at 2000+ mhz before adding fan), COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW X 12 are static 2000 rpm fan, fan will spin at 2000 rpm even computer stay at idle LOL! so it will be noisy!

Screenshot (12).pngAfter 1 hour PRIME95 (small FFTs) room temperature around 26°C.Screenshot (13).pngLight work load, room temperature around 26°C.IMG_8325.JPGUsing this 5mm thick magnet to stick on 4 corners of the fan and then attach the fan into the casing, thinking to use thinner magnetic tape but simply not strong enough to hold the fan.IMG_8327.JPGFront and bottom.IMG_8328.JPGTop exhaust fan, i did not use magnet to mount this fan because there's will be a 5mm gap between the fan and casing, it will making extra noise while wind hitting the casing thru these gap, i have to use glue tape to mount this fan so there will be no gap between fan and casing.IMG_8329.JPG4 pin fan hub mount on to part as well by using thin magnetic tape.

Some video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiRvpn6-Ms&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XNgey6UTGc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCBLCNHwTjo&feature=youtu.be

You guys might wonder why i choose COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW X 12, actually this is just a temporary fan for experiment lol because this fan are cheap! i am waiting the arrival of 3 NOCTUA NF-A12, hopefully i will be able to reduce noise by using NOCTUA NF-A12 and still get the same or even better cooling performance, i am from MALAYSIA the shipping fee from ebay are too expensive for me to get Dell stock 120mm top exhaust fan and aurora r5 front bottom fan with bracket, i better spend these money to get better fan like NOCTUA NF-A12 or CORSAIR ML 120 PRO.

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Argentium

Those magnets are a bad idea, get some thick double sided tape. You are just transferring vibration noise and allowing air to whip around the sides and recirculate. 

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
rishdp90
1 Copper

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread (I have been reading it and it is very informative, so many thanks to all the contributors!), but I can't seem to find the bracket needed to install a 120mm fan. I've searched on the big auction site and on Google, but all I can find is the fan itself, as opposed to just the bracket. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Argentium

They are still  there on the auction site.

Search Alienware Front Intake fan

Part number is 7M0F5, make sure bracket is included

Once you have it, then go here

More updated info on that post

Edit:  Try Alienware front case fan, seems to work better

0 Kudos
rishdp90
1 Copper

Thank you, much appreciated

0 Kudos