Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

@546insp wrote:

@Dell630i wrote:

@HanoverB wrote:

@Dell630i wrote:

My PC also came with the 92mm top exhaust fan. I will be replacing that with some kind of 120mm fan. I see your point about moving air volume, and none of the fans that I linked in my post come close to the ~149 CFM. I will have to cogitate further.

I am also misunderstanding the PWM Y connector. I thought that there was one 4-pin connector for modulation and one 3-pin connector for power only at full speed. Maybe it is one 4-pin connector for sensor reading, and both connectors are modulated?

You want nothing to do with the stock fan it if is turning fast enough to move 149 CFM.  The noise will be an issue.  But if your CPU and case temps are reasonable, the stock fans, as reported by Archer, are not noisy enough and the GPU and CPU cooler fans might be the loudest fans in the case.  

The way the PWM Y connectors work is that they supply the same voltage to both PWM fans but you can only monitor the speed on only one fan.  You can use a 3 pin fan in the 4 pin connector but it will run at 100% since it isn't being modulated without the 4th pin being present.

OK, these are the project items that are in hand on the way. My current plan (subject to advice herein) is to put the Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3-Pin fan in the top exhaust position using the Aurora R5 top bracket. I got two of the Noctua NF-S12A PWM 4-Pin fans for the front upper and lower positions that I will 'daisy chain' from the mobo top fan header with two of the PWM 4-pin fan splitter cables (not sure which one yet). I will not use the lower front fan Aurora R5 snap-in bracket to mount the Noctua fan. I got rubber gaskets for the intake fans on the inside of the case and the mesh filters on the outside of the case to try to get a good seal. I will block off any extraneous air intake to ensure I am not recycling hot air from inside the case.

So what size are all these fans? I hope all will be 120mm

yes, all 120 mm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i wrote:

I got the 8930 SE and it also have a 92mm top fan.

XPS 8930 Tower Special Edition

• Motherboard Chipset Intel Kaby Point Z370, Intel Coffee Lake-S
  • 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core Processor (16M Cache, up to 5.0 GHz)
  • 64GB, DDR4, 2666MHz Samsung
  • 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Toshiba
  • nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X: 3x DisplayPort 1.3 (1.4 Ready), HDMI 2.0, Dual Link DVI-D
  • 11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
  • Microsoft® Office Professional 2019
  • 2 x Dell UltraSharp U2717D 27” InfinityEdge Monitors

OT: What version of the bios is on your machine with the i9-9900K?

Edit:  I'm good, found the new BIOS for the chip upgrade on the Dell support site for the XPS 8930.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi, i really thankful for all of you sharing your idea and experience in this topic,

it's does help people like me.

i would like to share my experience too, my objective are cooling performance first noise reduction come later.

1. Replace Dell stock cpu cooler with NOCTUA NH-L9i by replace the stock mobo backplate with any LGA 115X mobo backplate. Not much gaining from here like reduce around max 3°C? LOL! but noise reduction does have a huge different even NOCTUA CPU COOLER FAN spin at max 2500 rpm.

2. Replace Dell stock 92mm top exhaust to COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW X 12 and adding another 2 COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW X 12 to front top and bottom. Manage to gain like -8°C to -10°C by adding these (GPU only gaining minor improvement i am not sure why but is ok because my GPU max temp only stay at 75°C while running at 2000+ mhz before adding fan), COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW X 12 are static 2000 rpm fan, fan will spin at 2000 rpm even computer stay at idle LOL! so it will be noisy!

After 1 hour PRIME95 (small FFTs) room temperature around 26°C.After 1 hour PRIME95 (small FFTs) room temperature around 26°C.Light work load, room temperature around 26°C.Light work load, room temperature around 26°C.Using this 5mm thick magnet to stick on 4 corners of the fan and then attach the fan into the casing, thinking to use thinner magnetic tape but simply not strong enough to hold the fan.Using this 5mm thick magnet to stick on 4 corners of the fan and then attach the fan into the casing, thinking to use thinner magnetic tape but simply not strong enough to hold the fan.Front and bottom.Front and bottom.Top exhaust fan, i did not use magnet to mount this fan because there's will be a 5mm gap between the fan and casing, it will making extra noise while wind hitting the casing thru these gap, i have to use glue tape to mount this fan so there will be no gap between fan and casing.Top exhaust fan, i did not use magnet to mount this fan because there's will be a 5mm gap between the fan and casing, it will making extra noise while wind hitting the casing thru these gap, i have to use glue tape to mount this fan so there will be no gap between fan and casing.4 pin fan hub mount on to part as well by using thin magnetic tape.4 pin fan hub mount on to part as well by using thin magnetic tape.

Some video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiRvpn6-Ms&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XNgey6UTGc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCBLCNHwTjo&feature=youtu.be

You guys might wonder why i choose COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW X 12, actually this is just a temporary fan for experiment lol because this fan are cheap! i am waiting the arrival of 3 NOCTUA NF-A12, hopefully i will be able to reduce noise by using NOCTUA NF-A12 and still get the same or even better cooling performance, i am from MALAYSIA the shipping fee from ebay are too expensive for me to get Dell stock 120mm top exhaust fan and aurora r5 front bottom fan with bracket, i better spend these money to get better fan like NOCTUA NF-A12 or CORSAIR ML 120 PRO.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Those magnets are a bad idea, get some thick double sided tape. You are just transferring vibration noise and allowing air to whip around the sides and recirculate. 

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos