Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2020 04:00

XPS 8930, remove RAID, Re-install Windows 10

Hi Gurus,

I am thinking of  removing Raid 0, formatting and reinstalling Windows 10 Pro. I have already backed up my system. I do not intend to install any Dell software.

I will remove NVME SSD from motherboard  and access it via USB enclosure to format and reinstall Win 10 Operating System                                                                          

1. CPU Intel Core i7 3.70GHz
  2. RAM 16GB Dual-Channel Unknown 1330MHz (19-19-19-43)  **OPTANE?**
  3. Motherboard Dell Inc. DF42J (U3E1)
  4. Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Dell), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Dell) ForceWare ver: 419.17
  5. SLI Disabled
  6. 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 (SATA )
  7. 476GB SSDPEKKF512G8 NVMe INTEL 512GB ***(RAID (SSD))***

I am wondering if I will need to download drivers in advance for Intel NVMe SSD, graphic card, motherboard etc or Windows 10 will download them at time the of installation?

I backed my data when I had Raid 0  but at time of restore of backup I will not have any RAID, will this cause  any issues?

Thank you for your time and guidance provided.

Regards,

AbsoluteZero1

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 21st, 2020 07:00

NVME drivers are vendor specific and not native to windows.

"A media driver your computer needs is missing" or "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" error message when you install Windows"

The other issue is that 1809 1903 1909 install.wim is too large to fit onto FAT32 USB media.  EXFAT and NTFS cannot be used to F12 boot from.

So the other way to get this to work is to use Dual Layer DVD either burned or OEM system builder media to boot and install from with sata set to generic AHCI.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln313422/windows-10-iso-contains-wim-file-that-is-big-for-fat32-file-system?lang=en

To use the Generic windows driver for install you must set the sata operation to AHCI.

Otherwise you need to have the F6 mass storage drivers on a usb2 flash drive in the root for PRE install.

Otherwise windows will say there is no drive to install on.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln301036/windows-10-install-with-nvme-ssd-and-sata-drives?lang=en

The current workaround is to disable all the SATA Storage device (HDD/SSD) controllers in the system Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) before performing the Windows 10 install to the NVMe SSD from Dell media.

After disabling the SATA Storage Device, you also have to make sure the BIOS is setup correctly by following these Steps:

1. Enter the BIOS by pressing F2 multiple timnes while the Dell Logo is shown.
  2. Navigate to Boot Sequence and set Boot List Option to UEFI
  3. Navigate to SATA Operation and choose AHCI
  4. In Advanced Boot Option you click on Enable Legacy Option ROMs
  5. Set Secure Boot to Disable

Once the Windows installation is completed, the SATA Storage Device controllers can be re-enabled without any issues and both the NVMe drive and the SATA drive(s) will function normally. No further changes are necessary.

Dell Engineering has addressed this issue and a fix was incorporated into the latest Dell Windows 10 media release. Recovery media options are available at Dell Windows Backup Media and Recovery Options.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 21st, 2020 09:00

@AbsoluteZero1 wrote:

1. I do not intend to install any Dell software.

2. I will remove NVME SSD from motherboard  and access it via USB enclosure to format and reinstall Win 10 Operating System                                                                          

3. 476GB SSDPEKKF512G8 NVMe INTEL 512GB ***(RAID (SSD))***

4. I am wondering if I will need to download drivers in advance for Intel NVMe SSD, graphic card, motherboard etc

5. or Windows 10 will download them at time the of installation?

6. but at time of restore of backup I will not have any RAID, will this cause  any issues?

1. Good. Also, NO Intel-RST.

2. Why ?

3. Nice SSD. Set BIOS to AHCI, and install Windows-10 to it.

4. No

5. Yes

6. No

No Events found!