Start a Conversation

Unsolved

HM

12 Posts

May 14th, 2019 19:00

XPS 8930, replace top fan without removing CPU cooler

Hi, I placed an order for a new XPS 8930 with a 8700K processor, so it will have the better blower style CPU cooler.  I was also thinking of changing the top fan once the computer arrives since apparently it now usually includes a 92mm fan instead of a 120mm fan.  However from the pictures I've seen it looks like there is almost no clearance between the CPU cooler and top fan.  Is it possible to remove and replace the top fan without removing the CPU cooler?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 15th, 2019 07:00

According to page 96 of the online XPS 8930 Service Manual, you have to remove =
* PSU
* Blower and heat-sink assembly (if installed)
* VR heat sink (if installed)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

There is almost ZERO room there.  There is no front fan. There is no front fan header. Some have changed the CASE to overcome this problem.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-Case-swap-to-Define-C-Mid/m-p/7285552

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-Case-Swap-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-temps-Upgrade-summary/m-p/7284394

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/xps-8930-desktop/xps-8930-service-manual/procedure?guid=guid-69e0bf9d-8cb9-4a3e-af56-77dadf960557&lang=en-us

This is not a standard fanThis is not a standard fan

The heatsink is VERY low profileThe heatsink is VERY low profile

Manuals & documents

XPS 8930 Service Manual PDF HTML

XPS 8930 Setup and Specifications PDF HTML

Regulatory Information

Dell XPS 8930, Regulatory Model D24M, Regulatory Type D24M002

DELL Regulatory and Environmental Datasheet PDF

EUROPEAN UNION - CE Declaration of Conformity PDF

@DELL-Chris M wrote:

According to page 96 of the online XPS 8930 Service Manual, you have to remove =
* PSU
* Blower and heat-sink assembly (if installed)
* VR heat sink (if installed)

Thanks but I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this since the service manual isn't always correct.  For example it shows that the machine already has a 120mm fan when apparently these don't.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2019 08:00

@Harry Muscle wrote:

Hi, I placed an order for a new XPS 8930 with a 8700K processor, so it will have the better blower style CPU cooler.  I was also thinking of changing the top fan once the computer arrives since apparently it now usually includes a 92mm fan instead of a 120mm fan.  However from the pictures I've seen it looks like there is almost no clearance between the CPU cooler and top fan.  Is it possible to remove and replace the top fan without removing the CPU cooler?

From my experience in replacing the 92 mm top exhaust fan with a 120 mm fan; you will have to remove the blower/heat sink because the exhaust fan 4-pin power conector on the mother board is under the heat sink. You do NOT have to remove the PSU or the VR heat sink. However, this would offer a good opportunity to upgrade the Dell 460 watt PSU to somethig better, as the CPU power connector from the PSU is also hidden under the blower/heat sink.Capture.JPG

IMG_3825.JPG

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2019 16:00

I am not sure why that Dell mobo schematic in my post is taking so long for moderator approval.

Since I am home now, I can post an actual photo if the mobo, and you can see that the 4-pin top exhaust fan header (as well as CPU power supply) would be located underneath the blower/heat sink. Thus, the blower/heat sink must be removed to upgrade the top fan to 120 mm. If the image below looks like a triangle inside a box, it is waiting on mod approval. (click image to enlarge)

IMG_3716-A.jpg

IMG_3723-A.jpg

732 Posts

May 15th, 2019 21:00

@Harry Muscle wrote:

I have a solution for the missing 120mm fan; I'm just not going to buy a new 8900 series PC next time unless it has one. Luckily my 8920 does have one.

3 Posts

June 10th, 2020 08:00

Hi,

I was planning on doing the same but does this mean I need to replace the thermal paste when I put everything back? 

The service manual says “The original thermal grease can be reused if the original processor and heat-sink assembly are reinstalled together.”

I’m happy enough replacing the fan and bracket and removing the blower but not sure I want to get involved with thermal paste replacement. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 10th, 2020 09:00

@Mehghjkhv   I’m happy enough replacing the fan and bracket and removing the blower but not sure I want to get involved with thermal paste replacement. 

I felt exactly the same way, and I think most inexperienced people do. Then, after you do it, you laugh at yourself because it is actually so simple and easy, if you do a little research first. There are lots of YouTube videos on applying thermal paste. You will find that everybody has a different technique and a different idea of the pattern of paste to apply. So it is really not an exact science.

Get some good quality thermal paste and make sure it is electrically non-conductive.  My go-to TIM is  Phobya NanoGrease Extreme   but there are many others. I would also get some cleaners to get the old stuff off, like these  ArcticCleaner 

Pick your favorite method after watching the YouTube "experts" and give it a try. If you apply the thermal paste and you don't feel good about your efforts, take the heatsink back off, clean your mess off the CPU and try it again. A little dab will do, but as long as you have electrically non-conductive TIM, you are safe with too much paste. It just makes a bigger mess to clean for the next time.

No Events found!