Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

May 9th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8930, saved OS to 2TB instead of SSD?

Bought a Dell XPS 8930 with 2TB & 256GB drives, MS 10 Home, unboxed it, turned it on and it automatically saved OS to 2TB instead of SSD. Tried to find a solution on Dell sites and others and finally out of desperation bought a 500GB Samsung, used their data migration to copy 2TB OS to 500GB SSD. Unplugged the 2TB and started machine. Booted and worked just fine. Samsung Data Migration said that OS on the 2TB would be erased when done so I put the 2TB into an older MS 10 Professional machine and turned it on. Dell 8930 immediately said it had to do an update. The Dell machine rebooted and now it is saying that I have a non activated version of Win 10 Professional. I am getting warnings to activate Win 10 Pro. What now? I have no idea what my serial number for Win10 Home was.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

May 9th, 2018 18:00

I am not following what you are saying has happened. First, you have Windows 10 Home on a 2 TB HDD in your XPS 8930. You cloned the 2 TB HDD to a 500 GB SSD and removed the HDD; the SSD and the XPS 8930 should still be Windows 10 Home. Normally Samsung Data Migration does not erase the HDD, unless there is an option to do so. The XPS 8930 did an update and now you have Windows 10 Pro. First, Windows updates do not change Windows from Home to Pro. Second, you mentioned putting the 2 TB into a Windows 10 Pro machine but you never mentioned putting it back into the XPS 8930. Third, putting a HDD in a machine with Windows 10 Pro on the machine does not result in Windows 10 Pro being installed on the HDD.

No Events found!