Highlighted
ivanmoe
2 Iron

Re: Thermal Compound on Dell's Upgraded Cooler for 8930

Jump to solution

Hah, the upgraded cooler and fan additions lowered my CPU temps under load by 35F and no more processor throttling!

I want to thank everyone who posted sensible solutions to the problems surrounding cooling with these XPS 89x0 desktops.

Were it not for you, I'd wouldn't have known about using the parts from Alienware cases and Dell's upgraded cooler.

Guess I'll close my own ticket. 😉

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Glad that worked out for you. :Yes:

For the record, did you leave the square of thermal goo that came with the heat sink in place or did you remove it and apply some other thermal compound?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
ivanmoe
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Left Dell’s thermal grease in place.

Cleaned the leftover compound off the top of the processor and fitted the heatsink.

The blower just screws into the HS.

BTW, people who do this upgrade need to think things through BEFORE placing and fastening on the parts.

The unit is quite large and covers up both the fan headers.

Should the HSF be put in place before the fans are attached, you’ll have to start all over again to get power to the cooler.

All in all, an easy upgrade, once I had all my ducks in a row.

Dell630i
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

@ivanmoe wrote:

Should the HSF be put in place before the fans are attached, you’ll have to start all over again to get power to the cooler.

The heatsink covers both fan headers AND the CPU power connector from the PSU.

Did you take any photos of your project you can share?

0 Kudos
ivanmoe
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@Dell630i wrote:

@ivanmoe wrote:

No on the pics, but my meanderings are really just a compilation of what I learned from reading other threads, here, many of which included images. Didn't think that anyone would be interested in my covering the same ground.

If I focused on costs above, it's because I thought some of the readers might be curious as to how much $$$ it would take to put a $700 machine into a state such that it was useful for something other than maintaining a FB page or running MS Office.

I should mention that I like the XPS 89x0 because they're small. I can appreciate the size, because my previous two cases were truly enormous "CM-Stackers." They were awesome for cooling, but were dust-bins and had a tendency to vibrate sort of like an old window air conditioner.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Took the drives, cables and fans out of them last week and turned them over to Goodwill for recycling. Was time to say goodbye to Win7 and Cooler Master. Adios, Amigo!

0 Kudos
Dell630i
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

@ivanmoe wrote:

@Dell630i wrote:

@ivanmoe wrote:

No on the pics, but my meanderings are really just a compilation of what I learned from reading other threads, here, many of which included images. Didn't think that anyone would be interested in my covering the same ground.

If I focused on costs above, it's because I thought some of the readers might be curious as to how much $$$ it would take to put a $700 machine into a state such that it was useful for something other than maintaining a FB page or running MS Office.

Thanks for sharing the information. Even though there are multiple threads covering the different aspects of cooling and improving performance for these PCs, everyone's take is a little different, and what each person thinks is important will vary. You focused on maximum performance for minimum cost, so anyone looking for that information can learn from your posts. Also, now no one will be surprised if they order the Dell heatsink/blower fan and it comes with applied thermal compound and a green wrapper.

0 Kudos