Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

May 24th, 2018 12:00

XPS 8930, two, both have random shutdown

I recently purchased two XPS 8930 desktops. Both systems are experiencing random shutdowns. I'll be working along and then poof, flat power loss. No shutdown warning, no BSOD, no error log. It's just as if someone pulled the plug.

I've tried installing various versions of the BIOS and have updated all other drivers. Nothing seems to help.

Is anyone else having this problem?

-Jason Shankel
Modumate, Inc.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 24th, 2018 13:00

* Have you tested with the XPS 8930 plugged directly into the power wall socket?
* Have disconnected all rear and front external cabling, opened the case, disconnected/reconnected all cabling, memory, and cards to the motherboard?
* For my notes, send me via Private Message one of the XPS 8930 service tag number

Run the PSU (power supply unit) BIST (built-in self test). What are the results?
* The computer is off but plugged directly into the power wall socket
* Face the rear of the computer
* Press the black button on the PSU
* If the green LED appears, the PSU is working

Run the Dell pre-Windows ePSA Diagnostics to rule out hardware defects =
* Turn the system off
* Disconnect all additional external USB drives from the system. Leaving only the monitor, mouse, and keyboard attached directly to the system
* Turn the system on
* Tap the F12 key at the Dell splash screen on start up
* Choose Diagnostics from the menu or choose Boot to Utility Partition and then look for Diagnostics

1 Message

November 11th, 2019 14:00

Yes, I am having this problem.  It seems to have started after a BIOS update.  Did you find a solution?

1 Message

January 11th, 2020 12:00

since 1/1/2020 mine has started shutting down while sleeping, and then won't turn off with shutdown.  It leaves the memory dump file although I never see a blue screen of death.

computer is up to date with all dell updates - please help!

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

January 12th, 2020 06:00

I've had my XPS 8930 for about a year and a half. Mine has done the same thing right "out of the box". Thinking Dell could resolve this, I worked with them until the warranty ended. New MB, 4 GPUs, all new connectors, new monitor. Never resolved.

Removed the GPU, which solved the problem by about 90%, but it still does it occasionally. Still does "weird" things, but it's usable. 

Needless to say, I have run ALL the suggested tests and troubleshooting. Nothing has ever shown up. I still think it is a bad PSU, but Dell said no.   

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 12th, 2020 10:00

@spotteddog wrote:

I've had my XPS 8930 for about a year and a half. Mine has done the same thing right "out of the box". Thinking Dell could resolve this, I worked with them until the warranty ended. New MB, 4 GPUs, all new connectors, new monitor. Never resolved.

Removed the GPU, which solved the problem by about 90%, but it still does it occasionally. Still does "weird" things, but it's usable. 

Needless to say, I have run ALL the suggested tests and troubleshooting. Nothing has ever shown up. I still think it is a bad PSU, but Dell said no.   

I suggest you start your own new thread.

However, a machine with this tragic-history will take significant effort and methodical trouble-shooting to repair to 100% reliable operation. Like this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/fixed/m-p/5627126/highlight/true#M128687

Any desktop-computer should be connected to good UPS-Battery (like APC with LCD and AVR) from Day-1.

In your-case, leave the GTX-1070 removed until machine works perfectly without it. Only then, would you try re-installing it (and adding it to the mix of hardware).

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

January 13th, 2020 07:00

Thanks for the response. Been there, done that (with all the troubleshooting under Dell's supervision, while it was still under warranty and lots of troubleshooting on my own since then).

Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack this thread. I was just hoping someone may have found a fix. There have been posts from several other people with the same problem, but I've never seen never a fix posted.

Again,

Sorry

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2020 09:00

@spotteddog wrote:

I was just hoping someone may have found a fix. There have been posts from several other people with the same problem, but I've never seen never a fix posted.

No, it doesn't work that way.

While we see users coming here for definitive answers to their major computer problems ... there is usually no magical cure-all silver-bullet fix.

I guess, if the effort is not worth it ... leave it broken or junk it. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 14th, 2020 11:00

@JasonShankel-

Which CPU, power supply (460W or 850W), and video card, and how much RAM is in each of your XPS 8930?

Have you installed any additional internal drives, or are you using power hungry external devices like printers etc?

15 Posts

September 23rd, 2021 15:00

Chris,

I am having the same type of issue, but mine looks like a managed shutdown.

I have replaced the power supply, the mother board, hard drive with a new windows 10 installed and the issue is still present.  It will shut down in the middle of the Dell diags. when selected by F12.  Most of the time the Dell diags pass with nothing found.

could it be the cpu fan not responding correctly?  I have looked at the temps and they are 36 to 40C, I am not putting a big load on this box an it still happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2021 16:00

@lrellis  - Is this also an XPS 8930?

What version of BIOS is running? Latest version is 1.1.17.

If the CPU fan isn't responding properly, the ePSA diagnostics run from the F12 menu should see and report that.

When you replaced the motherboard, did you install a fresh battery, or just move it from the old motherboard onto the new one?

How is monitor connected to PC, via onboard Intel UHD Graphics or via an add-in video card? If you have an add-in video card, the monitor should be connected there, not to an onboard UHD Graphics port. What type port on monitor and what type port on PC, eg HDMI, DP? Have you tried a different  type video port on monitor and PC?

What else is connected to PC? Have you disconnected everything, except mouse, monitor and keyboard and tried running the diagnostics from F12?

15 Posts

September 23rd, 2021 18:00

Yes this is a 8930

Bios is 1.1.15

The CPU fan was reported 3 times the first of the month, then after that it passes every time I run the diagnostics

However quite a few times the computer will just shut off during the diagnostic run.

The battery was replaced when the replacement mother board was installed.

The issue happens with both the onboard video as well as the video card.

Wireless mouse and Keyboard, Logitech

Nothing else is connected.

New Corsair RM650X Power Supply

I have installed a different CPU as well and it still shuts down.

I have tested both SIM memory cards one at a time in the system and the symptom is still there 

I have ran multiple memory tests on the memory and it passes each time

It appears like a thermal issue but the temps are at 35 to 40 C when I look at them.

when it does occur it happens frequently, when I power it down and let it sit for a while it works just fine.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 23rd, 2021 19:00

@lrellis 

Your issue is VERY specific.

Power supplies are NOT a single Rail of 12v

or a single spec of Watts.

Corsair RM650X Power Supply

RMxxxx_Manual_Specifications.

Dell requires 140W or more combined power

for 3.3v/5v rails.  PCI-E slots as well as SATA power connections and motherboard and ram and and and and REQUIRE  3.3v power, USB ports require 5v power.  System Standby is  5v power.

Dell power supplies have 140W to 225W on those rails.

You cannot use all the power max on all the rails at the same time.

EVGA 850B meets that spec as does

https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=110-BQ-0850-V1

EVGA 700BR.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-BR-0700-K1

RM650X.png300W ATX.pngDELL 305W.jpgDELL460.jpgEPS12v SPEC.png

15 Posts

September 24th, 2021 14:00

Speedstep,

You are correct, thank you for pointing it out.

However the power supply does not seem to be the issue.

I went out today and purchased a 700 BR, it was the only one of the two you listed that I could get today. I installed it and everything seemed to work for about 3 hours and then the system shut down and rebooted once again.  when it came back up it shut down before windows could load completely. I will let it cool off and see it it will stay up long enough for me to take a look at the logs to see if there is something different.

I have a CPU fan coming in that I ordered with a heatsink next week along with a case fan, I will try them when they arrive, after that I am at a complete loss of what is happening, I have tested the external memory sims but have not replaced them yet, that will be the last thing to replace.  This is quite a puzzle and I want to get to the bottom of it.

I did notice that the fan on the 700 BR runs constantly, I did not see this with the original or the RM650X

15 Posts

September 24th, 2021 14:00

speedstep,

I forgot to mention that I re-installed the SSD drive as well with the older windows version on it.

I pulled it and I will run it tonight on the SATA drive and see if this changes the symptom

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 24th, 2021 17:00

I would suggest a True Sinewave  UPS and see if that helps.

CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS  1500VA/1000W

CyberPower CP1500

Everything should be plugged into the ups.

A grounding mat for the keyboard and mouse also helps.

No Events found!