Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

57 Posts

January 8th, 2020 18:00

XPS 8930, uninstalling Killer Control Center

I have a Dell XPS 8930 I  bought about a year and a half ago. It has an I5 8400, 16 GB ram, and a GTX 1050 video card. I am running the latest Windows 10 1909.

I have been reading about the problems with the Killer Control Center and I want to uninstall it and run the latest driver only for the ethernet (Killer E2400). I don't like bloatware. Do I need to run the Killer Software Uninstaller tool?

Can I do this without any problems? Maybe someone that has uninstalled the Killer Control Center can post.

What are the exact steps to do this so I don't find myself without internet access?

Thanks, David

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 8th, 2020 20:00

Have you looked at this site as it offers full instructions on uninstalling?

57 Posts

January 9th, 2020 08:00

Thanks for replying. I saw those instructions from Killer. Once I run the Killer Uninstaller, then reboot - Windows will install a driver, is that correct? So then I run that driver package from Killer? That driver package looks like it has 7 or 8 drivers on it for different Killer products. Will it just install the driver I need (E2400)?

I remember a thread on here where several users had uninstalled the Killer Control Center because of an issue with freezing, hopefully some of them will reply. I want to make sure there won't be any issues with running a driver only.

Thanks, David

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 9th, 2020 12:00

There are no issues running the driver only with Ethernet.  You can just disable the control center without uninstalling it.  I stopped it from loading at startup on my XPS 8930, without uninstalling it, and the Ethernet works fine. Killer told me, quote: "The Killer Ethernet Driver is a Qualcomm Driver". So I only have the Killer Network Service running. I also disabled their analytics services tool and their WiFi optimization tool in services.msc.

We worked with Killer and it was determined their software is unlikely to be responsible for random freezes on the XPS 8930. The freezes on the XPS 8930 are caused by Dell's SupportAssist Remediation Service, in the majority of instances. Once that service is disabled or uninstalled, the freezes stop.  I uninstalled that service here and haven't had any more freezes.  But keep in mind if you disable/uninstall that service, SupportAssist won't work so won't be alerting you to available new updates, etc.

57 Posts

January 9th, 2020 16:00

I just looked in services.msc and Killer Network Service is already disabled. I don't see any analytic services tool or WiFi optimization tool. Where are they?

If anyone ever replies that they have actually run the Killer Uninstaller and then just installed the driver from the Killer website (with no problems), I am going to do that.

I don't want to find myself with no internet afterwards, that would be a major pain.

Thanks, David

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 9th, 2020 17:00

@dave423- Both of those services are listed in services.msc on my XPS 8930. 

If you read the threads about random freezes on the XPS 8930, you'll see lots of user posts about uninstalling Killer control center and just using their driver. A Killer support representative posted a lot of helpful info in those threads to rule their software out as causing the freezes, including how to uninstall it and just use the driver.

You can/should always set a System Restore point before uninstalling any software so you can quickly revert if something goes wrong.  Or use something like the free version of Revo Uninstaller which automatically creates a Restore Point before it uninstalls an app.

No Events found!