Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 16:00

XPS 8930, upgrades for everything

Hi All,

I have an XPS 8930 bought in March of 2019 and it currently has an i7 8700,  GTX 1050ti, 16GB ram, 2TB HDD + Intel Optane 16 GB. I have quite a few upgrades planned for the future. 

First of all: RAM

I plan to upgrade my RAM to 32GB. I plan to buy this RAM. Is this a good choice? If not, please give some other suggestions no more than $125.

Secondly: Power Supply

Since my power supply is currently around 450 watts, I want to upgrade to a fully modular 750 or 850 watt power supply. I plan to buy this power supply. Will this fit in the default XPS 8930 case? Also, is this a good choice? If not, please give some other suggestions no more than $150. 

Next: Case

I plan to upgrade to a better case that has better airflow compared to the default case. This is the case I want to upgrade to. Is this a good choice? If not, please give some other suggestions for $100 or less.

Next: Graphics Card

I plan to upgrade to an RTX 3070; most likely the founders edition. First of all, will this card even work with the default XPS 8930 motherboard (Dell 0DF42J)? Additionally, can I get a suggestion for a good 3070 with good cooling preferably under $550? 

Next: SSD

I want to keep my Intel Optane so my hard drive is still fast. However, I want an SSD so that my system can boot quicker as well as get better gaming performance. I am thinking of getting the Samsung 970 Evo plus and then putting it in this RIITOP NVMe Adapter M.2 PCIe SSD to PCI-e x4/x8/x16 Converter Card with Heat Sink for M.2 (M Key) NVMe SSD 2280/2260/2242/2230 since my motherboard only has one m.2 slot. However, looking through other discussions, I would have to switch from RAID to AHCI mode which would not allow my Optane to work. Is there an SSD that I can use without having to switch to AHCI and thus allowing me to have an SSD as well as the Optane?

Finally: CPU and CPU Cooler

I want to upgrade from my 8700 to a 9900k. First of all, is this possible on the default XPS 8930 motherboard (Dell 0DF42J)? I think that the stock CPU cooler won't be sufficient to cool this CPU so I am thinking of buying this CPU cooler Will upgrading the CPU and CPU cooler be worth it here or would it be better to just build a new PC?

Thank you very much for reading this far! Please leave me suggestions on each upgrade and the best way to go about each one. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2021 21:00

@zekebeast    I have quite a few upgrades planned for the future. 

I will take a shot at a few items . . . first, whenever possible, link components to the manufacture's web site, not to some dweeb selling on Amazon with limited, possibly incorrect information.

First of all: RAM - RAM can be hit or miss due to all of the Dell proprietary nonsense, but Crucial is a good source because of their guarantee . . . Crucial . . . not Amazon.

Secondly: Power Supply - the PSU you linked is 160 mm long (if the Amazon info is correct). This consumes a lot of cable management space for the fully modular PSUs. Consider getting a PSU with these dimensions; 140 mm (L) x 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H) . . . and also consider 850 watt, the incremental cost is usually small  for example  which will look like this

IMG_3858.JPG

Next: Case - if you are getting a new case, you are effectively doing a new build, salvaging the components from your XPS 8930 the transfer easily. Therefore, you should also consider a new motherboard, as the Dell OEM the rear I/O creates problems, as does the proprietary electronics in the front I/O.

Next: Graphics Card - the RTX 3070 Founders Edition graphics card will work with the XPS 8930 motherboard, and will also fit in the case without modification. The aforementioned PSU upgrade will be necessary.

Next: SSD - lose the Optane

Finally: CPU and CPU Cooler - i9-9900K is a great CPU and will work with the XPS 8930 motherboard. You are correct that additional cooling mitigation will be required. With regard to the  air cooler to which you linked . . . I do not think 165mm height will fit in the XPS 8930 with the swingout PSU. I believe your best option is the blower style fan/heatsink that came with the "K" processors. This unit exhausts air up through a fin stack and directly out the top exhaust fan. Looks like this  You should also make sure you have a 120mm top exhaust fan, and add the 120mm lower front intake fan. The VRM heatsink would also be a good add if you do not already have that in place.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 24th, 2021 05:00

@zekebeast In my opinion, given all the upgrades you are planning, it does not make a lot of economic sense to upgrade your XPS 8930. The only thing you are saving is the motherboard, but the Dell motherboard is an issue because of its propriety interfaces and lack of overclocking capabilities if you are considering a K processor. With a motherboard upgrade, you may not be able to use your existing memory and you will probably need a new copy of Windows 10. 

4 Posts

January 24th, 2021 07:00

@Vic384 So are you suggesting that I should just build a new PC?

4 Posts

January 24th, 2021 07:00

@Anonymous So first of all, I should buy components directly from the companies and not Amazon correct? Thank you for all your research but after reading @Vic384 and your response I think I might just build a new computer. However, if I just upgrade the RAM, PSU, and GPU, do you think there would be enough cooling in the default XPS 8930 case?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 24th, 2021 08:00

@zekebeast If you need all the upgrades that you listed, then yes it would make more sense to combine them all in a new PC. You are upgrading all the high-cost items except the motherboard which is problematic given its proprietary nature and major lack of overclocking capability. 

4 Posts

January 24th, 2021 08:00

@Vic384 I see. Thank you!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 24th, 2021 13:00

@zekebeast    So first of all, I should buy components directly from the companies and not Amazon correct? 

No . . . that is not what I meant at all. What I meant was that when you are researching the components for your build, the manufacture's web site will provide the best and most complete information. Once you use that information and make a decision about any particular component to include in your build . . buy it where ever you can get the best deal.

1 Message

March 3rd, 2024 10:29

I have the same problem 

No Events found!