Highlighted
Bill Settle
2 Iron

XPS 8930, upgrading fan, which thermal paste to use?

I am experiencing the same high heat issues others are/have seen with the 8930 and based on excellent threads on this forum like Dell630i's post on exhust fan upgrade , I am upgrading the exhaust fan and adding a lower intake fan using the Noctua NF-S12As.

My 8930 has the same upgraded CPU cooler/fan that @Dell630i shows in his post and I need to order some thermal paste but I see that some pastes are not compatible with certain heat sink materials like aluminum or copper.

I can find tons of recommendations on thermal paste but nothing specific to the 8930 with the i9 and the upgraded heat sink (whatever it's made of).

Can someone point me in the right direction on which paste to order?

Thanks in advance!

My XPS 8930 SE Details:
- i9 9900K
- Windows 10 Pro
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT with 8GB GDDR6
- 64GB Crucial RAM (CT16G4DFD8266)
- 2TB Evo Plus NVMe SSD (3500 MB/s Read)
- 2, 16TB Seagate Exos Drives
   using Windows RAID 1 config for fault tolerance, not Backup
- Wireless:Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650, 2 x 2, Bluetooth 5.0
- 850 Watt OEM Power Supply
- Driving 5 displays: 3, Dell U2518D @2560x1440, 50" Samsung TV @4K and a Samsung monitor @1920x1280
19 Replies
Highlighted
Bill Settle
2 Iron

Re: XPS 8930, upgrading fan, which thermal paste to use?

For reference, here is a pic of HWMonitor after running a load test to keep the CPU maxed at 100% and the SSD throttled due to high temperature.

If this looks normal or high, please let me know but the SSD is running very hot so I also ordered a heat sink for it.  Hopefully a heat sink with a fan blowing over it will reduce the throttling.

HWMonitor-temps.jpg

My XPS 8930 SE Details:
- i9 9900K
- Windows 10 Pro
- Driving 5 displays: 3, Dell U2518D @2560x1440, 50" Samsung TV @4K and a Samsung monitor @1920x1280
Highlighted
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

XPS 8930 SE

- i9 9900K

It's crazy they are installing these ... as this machine can not be factory-configured with a Liquid-Cooler.

- 64GB Crucial RAM

That much ram is going to run very hot. Would likely need heat-sinks or aux fan.

- 2TB Evo Plus NVMe SSD

A NVMe-SSD of this extreme capacity/density is going to run hot. Some kind of cooling or pad is usually required.

- 2, 16TB Seagate Exos Drives using Windows RAID 1 config

Not sure where these are, but hopefully, there are outside the machine. IMO, they belong is a Synology NAS (or equivalent).

And repeat after me ... "RAID-1 is not a backup".

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Highlighted
Bill Settle
2 Iron

@Tesla1856, I have a heatsink coming for the SSD so that should help.  Never had to use a heat sink on a memory module before before but it looks like they are available.  I'll try the two new fans and SSD heat sink and take it from there. 

Also, RAID 1 is for fault tolerance and not backup.  I backup to offline disks and rotate them.

Appreciate the feedback.

My XPS 8930 SE Details:
- i9 9900K
- Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
7 Thorium

intel recommends liquid Cooler for 130w.

For the Intel® Core™ i9 Processor you can use the following :

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/desktop-thermal-solutions/bxts13x.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CYX45CK/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Bill Settle   For reference, here is a pic of HWMonitor after running a load test to keep the CPU maxed at 100%

Here is my i9-9900K pic for reference . . . keep in mind I am now liquid cooled

image.png

Highlighted
Bill Settle
2 Iron

@Dell630i  Here is my i9-9900K pic for reference . . . keep in mind I am now liquid cooled

I just see a triangle.  Maybe the mods have to approve the pic you uploaded?

My XPS 8930 SE Details:
- i9 9900K
- Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Bill Settle    I just see a triangle.  Maybe the mods have to approve the pic you uploaded?

Correct. Only you can see your photos until moderator approved.

When the photo is approved, look at my M.2 SSD and GPU temps compared to the ones you posted. Your whole case is getting hot.

Also, why isn't your AMD Radeon showing?

Highlighted
Bill Settle
2 Iron

@Dell630i, I was getting BSODs (another thread) and through trial and error, working through suggestions from forum members, I found the AMD firmware/software/card was causing the issue.  But after @RoHe saw my temps in the pic above, without the GPU, he suggested my BSODs may be caused by heat which echos your sentiments. 

Will upgrade the ventilation then later, add the GPU back and see how it changes things.

I thought I bought something I could just start using for software development and video editing...  NOT!

My XPS 8930 SE Details:
- i9 9900K
- Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@Bill Settle wrote:

I thought I bought something I could just start using for software development and video editing...  NOT!

If you wanted a pre-built (with factory installed gaming-class card), an Aurora (with Liquid-Cooler and large Power-Supply) or Area-51 would have been a better choice. Something like those could handle those work-flows.

If you wanted a pre-built (with little-to-no gaming) a Precision Workstation would have been more appropriate. You can also just buy them with a cheap workstation-class video-card and pull-it ... install your own (nicer) retail gaming-class video-card.

HP and the others also have nice workstation-class machines. Neither them or the Dells are that expensive for what you get.

AFAIK, many developers have some hardware experience, so they just custom-built a computer to their specs. You also see this with DAW and other similar content-creation work-flows. Those without that (or time) ... just visit an online boutique shop and have them custom-build it for them.

EDITED: more info

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.