Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

10 Posts

July 7th, 2022 17:00

XPS 8930, will not start after moving it

XPS 8930

XPS 8930

I need some suggestion on how to get my 3 year old out of warranty XPS 8930 to start. I have a XPS 8930 that I bought from Costco 3 years ago. On Tuesday I bought a new XPS 8940. The XPS 8930 was working like a charm and was my work horse for the past 3 years with no problems at all. After I bought the new computer I moved the older computer to a new desk about 10 feet from where it was. I shut the XPS 8930 down on Wednesday. I had to disconnect and reconnect the assorted cables to move the XPS 8930. The new XPS 8940 was put where the XPS 8930 used to be. All the same cables/mouse/keyboards and one of the monitors are all the same. The only difference is that now I have the XPS 8930 set up to run 1 monitor, where before I was running 2. After I set up the old XPS 8930 (today Thursday) in its new location, I pushed the power button it would not turn on. There is no evidence that any power is reaching any part of the XPS 8930. I tried the obvious by replaced the power cord and trying another power outlet. Nothing happened. When I moved (I was very careful and gentle) the computer could I have jostled some switch it something that is preventing the XPS 8930 from starting. Is the on button broken some how? Is the power box blown? Is there something I can do to trouble shoot the various parts? The XPS 8930 has never showed any signs of distress at all in it's history. One more piece of info is that I am one of those people who keeps their computer on 24/7. Typically I will reboot once or so a week. I only tend to shut it down when I know I will be gone for 2 or more days. I always use the windows program to shut down or reboot the computer. I tend to only use the physical on button to turn the computer on after it has been shut down. The computer has been sitting on top of my desk (not under the desk) and my home office never gets above 70 degrees. Ideas?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 9th, 2022 13:00

@Mslacat Please be aware that to turn off the PC with the power button you need to press and hold the power button until the PC shuts down. It may take several seconds. Are you saying that a normal shutdown (Start / Power / Shut down) works? Are you also saying that the power button alone will not turn on the PC?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 10th, 2022 12:00

Did you try replacing the motherboard battery, as I suggested above?

12 Posts

September 21st, 2022 10:00

Hi,

I am having this exact same problem--I can only start the computer but pressing the BIST a few times, holding it in for 3 seconds, and then pressing the power button on the front.  Then it will start.

Otherwise the power button will only blink Amber for a split second and nothing happens.

I am nervous to reset the BIOS and replace the CMOS battery--will my computer definitely boot as normal after I do this? i.e. windows 10?  I rely on this computer heavily!

Thank You,

Brian

12 Posts

September 21st, 2022 11:00

Well I went for it, did the jumper on the CMOS and replaced the battery.  Now when the computer is running I get the 2-1 Amber blink on the power button.  I still need to hit the BIST in order to start the computer.

Do you think I should replace the power supply?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 21st, 2022 11:00

@loungesong  Is this an XPS 8930?

For XPS 8930, 2,1 blink code = System board failure

But that could still mean a PSU issue if you have to press BIST button to get it to boot.

Try powering off completely and removing power cord from rear of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reconnect power cord to rear of PC and see if it will boot normally now...

12 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 13:00

Hi,

I replaced the power supply with an EVGA 850BQ.  Computer running as normal.  POST lights went away!  Hope this helps other folks.

Brian

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 16:00

@loungesong  - Glad a new PSU solved the problem, and thanks for letting us know.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 17:00

@Mslacat wrote:

the second the computer powered up and booted.  It is running now in front of me BUT I can not turn it off using the power button. 

To me this still sounds like a power button problem if I want a long term solution.  Thoughts?

Yes, sounds like the power-button to me or maybe a lose-connection inside with the front-panel.

See PDF Service-Manual or take to service-technician.

There are various ways to still Shut-Down properly, test power-button, etc.

No Events found!