Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2020 14:00

XPS 8930SE, HDD or SSD

Setting up my XPS 8930SE pc and I want to make sure my graphic intensive programs are installing on the SSD drive and not the HDD. In the File Explorer it shows OS C: and Data drives. There's nothing on the D drive and windows and some scanner & printer programs I installed are on the C drive. How can I tell which is which? I looked in the storage device list and it shows both HDD & SSD drives but doesn't designate which is which.

Thanks for any help. 

358 Posts

June 9th, 2020 14:00

Hi, @MojomanXPS 

I think you will find that the SSD is the C:-Drive, however, this needs to be demonstrated!!

Firstly, "usually" the SSD is a smaller size than the HDD - hence, in File Explorer, Right-Click on the C-Drive & it should show a size value that is a bit smaller than the SSD size - similarly, Right-Clicking on the Data Drive (presumably D:-Drive) should show a capacity approaching the HDD size.

If, by chance, you have an XPS with  BOTH SSD & HDD being similar sizes then press the Win-Key & the "X" at the same time - from the pop-up list, select "Device Manager" & then go to "Disk Drives" - this should open a list of the 2 Drives -this should show the individual Make/Model Numbers of the Drives (this should confirm which is the SSD & which is the HDD!

Right-Click on the first (assuming it is the SSD) & select "Properties", then go to "Volumes" & then click on the "Populate" Button. The Information displayed should show that it is the C:-Drive & also the Capacity of the C:-Drive - it should also show some some "Reserved" Capacity that does NOT have a Drive Letter against it!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 9th, 2020 15:00

You answered your own question: "...There's nothing on the D drive ...". So everything, including Windows is on the SSD which is the C (OS drive).

You have to tell Win 10 to move and store its default folders (music, pictures, documents, etc) on the D (DATA) drive. Otherwise they all end up using space on the SSD C drive.

You want all your other apps to be installed on the C (OS) drive too for faster access, but you you should set them up to store their data files on the D (DATA) drive. Look in their "setup", "preferences" or "options" settings to change where their store output to the D drive.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

June 9th, 2020 16:00

The article @RoHe linked to talks about moving files default folders to a secondary drive, but I believe you first have to change the default locations where content is stored first. In Windows 10, go the 'All settings', System, Storage, click on the link 'Change where new content is saved', then change where apps, documents, music, photos, etc. are saved. Existing content on the C: drive will have to be moved to the new locations. Some apps may not follow the Windows 10 settings, so the default save location may have to be set in the app's preferences.

June 9th, 2020 18:00

@Vic384 

@RoHe 

@John-Jay 

Thanks for all the information. I was able to ID the drives using your tips. Thanks!

No Events found!