Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

7 Posts

May 20th, 2023 13:00

XPS 8940, BIOS 2.12.0, printer ON causes restart rather shutdown

Hello, 

1. A few days ago (05/18/2023) I installed BIOS Level  2.12.0  on my wife's XPS-8940.

2. Since then, when she does a shutdown from Windows 11, the computer shuts down momentarily, stays powered off for about 1 second, then restarts.  This problem did not occur before I installed the BIOS 2.12.0 upgrade.

3. I can still power off the machine using the power button.

4. Here's how I do a shutdown from Windows 11.  This used to work before I installed BIOS 2.12.0.  Now it causes a Restart rather than a Shutdown.  (a) Press Alt-F4.  (b) Select Shutdown.  (c) The system appears to shut down and power off.  However, after about one second, the machine powers on again and starts up.

5. In the BIOS:  (a) Boot from network card is Disabled.  (b) Boot from USB is enabled, but I do not have any powered-on devices attached to USB ports. 

6. Any thoughts on what might be causing this problem?

May 23rd, 2023 13:00

1) In the original post I stated that "I do not have any powered-on devices attached to USB ports."  That was false.  The printer was powered on and was attached to a USB port. Therefore, powering off the printer fixed the problem:  when I was in Windows 11 and clicked Shutdown, the desktop powered off and did not restart, as long as the printer was powered off.

2) But I like to leave the printer powered on (it has a sleep mode). So I went into the BIOS and disabled the option that allows a device attached to a USB port to start the desktop from Sleep, Power-Off, or Hibernation. That fixed the problem. I could leave the printer on, and when I clicked "Shutdown" in Windows 11 the desktop powered off and did not restart.

3) However, this fix created another problem. It was no longer possible to wake the desktop from Sleep mode by pressing a key or moving the mouse, because both the keyboard and the mouse are attached to USB ports. Because my wife often stops using the computer for an hour or so, and it subsides into Sleep mode (as set in the Win11 settings), this state of affairs was not acceptable.

4) So I went back into the BIOS and re-enabled the option that allowed a device attached to a USB port to wake the computer from Sleep, Power-Off, and Hibernate.

5) So now the desktop will not shut down while the printer is powered on. Actually it does shut down, but then after one or two seconds it starts again because the printer is powered on and is attached to a USB port. But my wife can wake the desktop from sleep by pressing a key or clicking a mouse.

6) I wish that Dell would modify the BIOS so that the computer will shut down and stay shut down while the printer is powered on, but will still allow a keystroke or a mouse movement to wake the desktop from sleep. That is the way that the desktop worked before I installed BIOS 2.12.0.  

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

May 20th, 2023 16:00

Have you tried from the CMD prompt to power off/shutdown?

Use these 2 commands:

"C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 1" to do a Reboot, and I'll assume that will work.

"C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 1" to do a Shutdown, and I am not sure it if stays off or powers back on?

If the LAST one does come back on, I'd consider back-leveling the BIOS versions. First the one you upgraded from, and then up to V2.11.0.. All working OK, try v2.12.0 again.

The XPS is acting it seems as if there was a POWER loss?

In the BIOS there is this setting:

Power Management - AC Recovery -- Sets what action the computer takes when power is restored

Check that one, normally it is set on, but if you are restarting, turn that off and see it it stops?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

May 23rd, 2023 14:00

@Bill Gaither 

You might have been too fast calling this solved?

First, this is only on your wife's PC, right?

What make and model is it?

I can't test this as my printer is wireless to our router so we both can share it, however, I would imagine that that there is a better way to do this.

The Printer itself might have a setting to wake up the PC? Not sure though as I've had others over time connected to a USB port and never experienced this.

Also, the SPECIFIC USB port probably has a setting under Power Management to uncheck it waking up the PC? Without more knowledge of the printer or what USB port it is on, it is hard to tell.

There are a variety of programs to help you determine which USB Port the printer is on too.

Check these out:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/usbview 

https://usb-device-tree-viewer.en.lo4d.com/screenshots 

For instance, USB Device Viewer shows me this output:

ispalten_0-1684876075302.png

All you need do is identify the USB port (or look at the 8940 Service Manual or User's Guide) that details what Port type is. That or the data in one of the above programs should call out the Printer as attached. Now look in Device Manager for that specific Port, and see if it can wake the PC. I do NOT see any on my 8940 that can. I probably have the Wake Support in BIOS disabled?

Even if I do, my mouse and keyboard can wake the PC up.

ispalten_1-1684876785429.png

ispalten_2-1684876811037.png

These use a Logittech Unifying Dongle in a USB port sitting in the lower front panel USB port...

You might want to check some settings...

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

May 23rd, 2023 16:00

@Bill Gaither 

Sorry, late add....

I posted this, "What make and model is it?"

I was referring to the Printer.

No Events found!