Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 03:00

XPS 8940, BIOS update failed

I am not more able to update or fixing over USB Stick BIOS_IMG.rcv. This issue comes after I make updates with MyDell Tool same time with Windows Update. How can I fix it?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 16:00

@Bort330 Since PC is booting ok, you don't want/need the .rcv file. 

How is monitor connected to this PC, add-in video card or onboard Intel Graphics? What type port on PC and on monitor, HDMI or DP?

Put the BIOS .exe file on an empty (non-bootable) 2GB USB stick.

Power off and unplug power cord from rear of PC. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec.  Remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall battery and close up. Reconnect mouse, monitor, and keyboard, and then power cord to rear of PC.

With PC fully powered off, plug that USB stick in, power on, and immediately start tapping F12 to open the boot menu. Select the option to do a flash update and follow the prompts.

NOTE: There's another thread saying they couldn't update XPS 8940 BIOS from 2.7.0 to 2.9.0 and had to downgrade to 2.6.0 to get the 2.9.0 update to work.  Don't know if that's just a one-user issue or if there's some problem going from 2.7.0 directly to 2.9.0....

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 07:00

@Bort330 wrote:

Shall i delete the RUNONCE key from registry? Or shall i reinstall Windows? Will this fix the failed Bios Update?

RUNONCE is deleted by Windows on every boot when it runs the command.

This is why I suggested it. If Windows Update needed a reboot, 'what' it needed to execute was put into RUNONCE and when you rebooted, that would be read and executed. If you installed a BIOS Update as well before the reboot, and it needed a reboot, its file replaced the MS one.

So you might not have even completed the MS Update, which is surprising that you could still boot to me? Check the Windows Update in Settings (Windows Key + I) and see if there is stall and update to install? Hopefully there is and you can install that.

This is UNRELATED to your BIOS install problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 25th, 2022 12:00

Don't worry about the ones that failed. BIOS updates are cumulative, so if you have 2.9.0, you have all the fixes that were included in all prior versions.

No Events found!