XPS Desktops

Last reply by 07-21-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

Replies (929)

Hello,

When I order the XPS8940 I did not see an option to upgrade to a 500 W PS.

So it came with a 360 W and the stock cooler is tiny. I couldn't keep up with the heat of the non-k processor.

it was thermal throttling (>97°C) all the time. I have to run some heavy processing that takes hours or days, so this was awful. I was honestly disappointed by that. I had to upgrade it to a Noctua NH-D9L

after the new cooler, it stays around 70 C.However, it keeps indicating that is power limit throttling, and I was wondering if a bigger PS would solve that.

2020-09-09 16.07.11.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@svdgabriel    So it came with a 360 W and the stock cooler is tiny.

WOW . . . that is tiny  

Do you know the cost to upgrade to the 500 watt PSU?  If it were me, I would just do it.

@svdgabriel  - Did you try installing the Intel Dynamic Tuning Driver that I linked on page 2 of this thread?

You could call Dell Spare Parts and ask how much the 500W PSU will cost, 1-800-357-3355 (USA). Have Service Tag available.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

That is the CPU cooler, right? is the CPU cooler different for the 500W PSU? I thought it is different based on the processor (k vs non-k) not the PSU.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Flying Elbow    That is the CPU cooler, right? is the CPU cooler different for the 500W PSU? I thought it is different based on the processor (k vs non-k) not the PSU.

You are correct. We are just discussing multiple topics, concurrently   

120mm fan based CPU cooler would be better than a 92mm fan based cooler.

@Noorss did a nice video installing a Cooler Master 120mm Hyper TX3 EVO into a G5 5090 with a similar chassis.

No cutting required and no backplate removal....he removed the plastic pins and replaced them with M3 bolts.

Fit was tight under the side panel....needs to be verified that this would fit into the XPS 8940.  It should.

This one fits as well without cutting or drilling,  but is 92mm fan based:  Cooler Master Hyper T2

The fact that Dell created a location in the top front of the XPS 8940 chassis for a 3.5" HDD is great.  Was wasted space in the G5.     The Corsair H60 AIO CPU liquid cooler can mount in that front location and would have been great for CPU cooling.  Move that 3.5" HDD mounted in the front location up to that top bracket and install the AIO.  However, in their infinite wisdom they proceeded to block all the airflow through the upper part of the XPS 8940 front bezel.  The G5 front bezel had some nice slats for airflow....the XPS 8940 is a solid upper front bezel......no airflow in that location.     No liquid cooling folks unless you want to modify that rear 80mm fan location for a 120 mm fan on that H60 cooler.   

All you can do is update that rear exhaust fan to a 92mm fan and add an intake fan in that lower front position to help with airflow and update the CPU air cooler.

The Asetek 645LT is possible in the XPS 8940 case, but a 92mm liquid cooler is for SFF cases where there is no option for a 120mm AIO unit.  Temps aren't that great....ithe 92mm fan and small radiator are limiting and temps are similar to the 120mm air coolers.

I will try, the computer is in use right now running some analysis but I will check the new driver ASAP.

Same with contacting Dell for the 500W PS

thanks

I did upgrade the exit fan to a Noctua NF-A9 PWM, and added a second one for the CPU cooler, temps now never exceed 68 °C under full load in 6hr runs.

Wish I knew about CPU coolers that mounted directly without modifications. As I said, it was a desperate measure haha.

@svdgabriel 

That's good work and you are quite resourceful being able to mount that cooler.

Do you get a startup error with the Noctua NF-A9 PWM fan when it's connected to the chassis fan header?    

Thank you

No, I did not got any error because of the new fans. Not for the exit fan on the chassis neither for the two on the CPU cooler. I'm using the Y-cable included with the fan to be able to connect the two to the same CPU fan header. 

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor