Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

March 6th, 2021 10:00

As anticipated, my 3D printed fan bracket is posted here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4785786

Please feel free to share it to anyone who wants it, and if anyone can confirm if it works in the G5 gaming case I will update the part to note that.

As for CPU cooling, I'm quite happy with going the route of the Noctua NH-D9L. If you can get ahold of M3 screws and washers it it a literal drop in replacement. Also of note, M3 x 20mm screws will work as well as M3 x 16mm. I had planned to cut them down to 16mm but they worked just fine as is.

March 7th, 2021 09:00

@KuroAkuma80 

"unless you order the "K" version of Intel processor"

Maybe I don't get it right because English is not my main language... You differentiate here between non-K and K processors. Dell sells i7-10700 and i9-10900K in my country, but according to the support, the CPU cooler does not differ in XPS desktops. So isn't Dell's statement correct?

March 7th, 2021 13:00

@Rynek 

You can download MSI afterburner and adjust the fan curve, but remember the GPU is inside the casing right below your CPU, by keeping the fan curve low which will increase the over all heat inside the case.  Not suggested for longevity of the computer.  I usually wear the over ear headset so the noise doesn't bother me much.

Just my 2 cents.

March 7th, 2021 13:00

@bigfraggle007 

At least in North America (US and Canada), non "K" comes with the pancake style CPU cooler and the "K" processor comes with the "on literature" CPU cooler.  You can google or check youtube videos to verify.

I did a lot of research before I pull the trigger on buying the XPS 8940 desktop, and I knew that I will needed to upgrade the cooling immediately.  Since building a gaming PC is nearly impossible due to the shortage of GPU, it is better off to buy the prebuild with decent spec, and rip out the parts when decide to upgrade later... lol 8P

4 Posts

March 7th, 2021 16:00

3 Posts

March 7th, 2021 19:00

Hi everyone, I see that there are 2 Noctua coolers being used for XPS8940: NH-D9L and NH-U9S, can you recommend which one works better, is preferred? Thank you!

27 Posts

March 8th, 2021 09:00

How did yo mount it? Were you able to reuse the rubber straps that are used for the factory fan or did you need to buy screws?

In my brief research most benchmarks will show the D9L and U9S to trade blows by less than 1°C and less than 1 dbA of noise difference. To the untrained eye/ear I don't think you would be able to tell the difference. Here's one arbitrary review I saw showing as much (note their charts are scaled really aggressively; read the numbers not the bar height lol)

https://www.enostech.com/noctua-nh-d9l-nh-u9s-reviews-giveaway/

Note that I cannot attest for this sites content - never really followed them - but they show like ~0.3 dbA of noise difference and ~0.5°C difference under a stock load. Functionally identical imo in a practical situation.

100% the reason I bought the D9L was it was on sale on amazon at the time for $70 CAD and the U9S ranges from $85-95 CAD. My personal advice is buy the cheaper one.

I think this post shows it best imo:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8940-Better-cooler/m-p/7703087/highlight/true#M54141

You use the noctua intel mounting brackets and spacers, but instead of the supplied backplate and nuts you use M3 x 16mm (or M3 x 20mm) screws with washers to secure the noctua brackets thru the motherboard to the case from the frontside.

Nothing reused from the XPS mount at all

Assuming it has the same mounting system, has anyone considered trying the NH-C14S? I'm still not in love with  the GPU temps and fan speeds and I'm wondering if a downdraft (or updraft) cooler would distribute air thru the case more effectively for the GPU, particularly with a front fan installed.

I feel like the intake fan, a tower cooler, and the rear exhaust probably just robs the GPU of any air movement at all and I'd be willing to sacrifice some of the CPU cooling efficency if it can help drop the GPU by 5 or so degrees.

I might pick up an NH-C14S just for fun to try unless someone has a story.

March 8th, 2021 10:00

@purpledrillmonkey 

I don't think so since it has a 5 pin connector instead of 4 pin.  If you are going to spend that much, may as well get the NH-D9L.  Pretty sure is the same if not cheaper price.

Regards,

KuroAkuma80

2 Posts

March 8th, 2021 11:00

What is the total amperage that you have going into the fan header? I am worried to add an additional fan to the same header in fear of frying the motherboard. Can the header handle up to 1 amp or higher? There is little to no information on this motherboard so i am trying to be cautious. I was able to add a new exhaust fan. I also want to replace the cooler but do not want to remove the mobo. I'm looking for something with the same mount so i can just screw it in to the existing pre drilled holes. 

Amazon.com: EZDIY-FAB 120mm PWM Blue LED Ring Fan,Blue LED PWM Case Fan for PC Case,CPU Cooler and Radiators,4-Pin 3 Pack: Industrial & Scientific

March 8th, 2021 12:00

I also got the non-k i7 and it came with the basic, garbage "pancake" fan cooler and not the upgraded fan and heat-sink assembly shown in the XPS manuals.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2021 12:00

did you remove the motherboard to install the bracket or just screw into the existing holes

No Events found!