Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

March 8th, 2021 12:00

The NH-C14S is just a 4 pin PWM fan isn't it?

I'm already rocking the D9L - works great on CPU but cool air doesn't make it's way down to the GPU area very well hence why I'm thinking a really large down draft cooler might be interesting.

March 8th, 2021 13:00

Hey, 

I am new to this so still learning. I have been reading every post (in order from oldest to latest) and made it to this part. 

You said the Noctua NF-AF PWM fan (92mm) is a good exhaust fan. I just saw that it is 4 pin fan but others have recommended the Noctua NF-A8 FLX which is an 80mm fan and is 3 pin. 

How do I know which one I need or which one is better? I opened the XPS 8940 case up but didn't take anything out or modify anything yet as I am VERY NEW to all of this. I am literally only doing it for cooling/performance, no other reason than to make my brand new pc last as long as possible.

Many thanks.

March 8th, 2021 13:00

You are awesome for this. Thank you. The pics do help explain the procedure better. 

I am very very new to PC's and want to get all possible information before even beginning to play around inside the PC as I dont want to run risk of damaging any little thing. 

How complicated would you say this is for someone who is beginner of beginners with modifying anything related to pc's?

Many thanks.

March 8th, 2021 14:00

Tarak, thank you for this. 

You broke it down in the simplest manner and made it quite a bit easier to understand. Thanks for all of it!

I hope it is not too challenging, as I am a beginner. Hopefully will be easier with all the fans and stuff in front of me. 

March 8th, 2021 14:00

Thank you for the detailed pictures. It makes everything easier to understand for someone who is such a beginner, like me.

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

March 8th, 2021 22:00

@BatyAndCo 

No, you do not have to remove the motherboard.  Only the current CPU cooler and follow the instructions in this post on installing the new cooler.

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

March 8th, 2021 22:00

@EhsanHaque24 

You're most welcome.  I am really glad that my post was of help to you.

3 Posts

March 9th, 2021 19:00

Hello, I received my XPS8940, curious about how much time the CPU has been running and found that the CPU total run time is 15 hours. Do you think the computer is considered new? Why there are 15 hours of CPU running for a new computer?

5 Posts

March 9th, 2021 22:00

Just got system w/ i7 10700 w/ 3060 ti with small pancake cooler too - was hitting 100 celcius with cinebench

read through most of this forum - apparently max clearance was reported around 152mm - 

got vetroo v5 cooler 148mm height - on sale on amazon - $25 only - 120mm fan - seems quality built

comes w proper brackets for intel socket, thermal paste, install was cinch without any mods just plug/play 

clearance was just a few mm - fit perfectly 

now on cinebench it peaks 80 while stabilizing at 65 for most of test

while i was at it - moved HDD cage to upper position and removed front one -

haven't changed rear case fan yet - has anyone observed measurable diff with moving rear fan to front and replacing rear with a noctua? if so how much?

5 Posts

March 9th, 2021 22:00

sorry new to this forum - replied to older post rather than replying to latest one 

Just got system w/ i7 10700 w/ 3060 ti with pancake cooler - was hitting 100 celcius with cinebench

read through most of this forum - apparently max clearance was reported around 152mm - 

got vetroo v5 cooler 148mm height - on sale on amazon - $25 only - 120mm fan - seems quality built

has brackets for intel socket, thermal paste, install was cinch w/o mods/drilling/spacers/adapters

clearance was just a few mm - fit perfectly - no bootup errors at all -

idle very quiet - high load you can hear fan a bit but its low freq + smooth

now on cinebench it peaks 80 while stabilizing at 65 for most of test

while i was at it - moved HDD cage to upper position to open up front air flow 

haven't changed rear case fan yet - has anyone observed measurable diff with moving rear fan to front and replacing rear with a noctua AFTER cpu cooler upgrade? if so how much?

March 10th, 2021 09:00

That looks like a nice cooler and a great price for it!

I replaced the rear fan with an NF-A9 and the CPU cooler with the D9L and it dropped the temps peaking from 100°C to under 80°C (just full load CPU stuff, not cinebench per se).

I then added an NF-A12 to the front intake split off the rear fan (rear fan on the 4 pin PWM line) and while I haven't had the side of the case on for awhile, it pulls in a lot of cool air. I haven't 'benchmarked' that addition as of yet but just feeling the intake with my hand it's a significant difference. If I get some time, I'll run a CPU load sidepanel on with both the front fan on and off.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2021 10:00

Has anyone else seen issues upgrading the exhaust fan and installing the cpu cooler on a 360W PS? I say one user was having throttling issue they believed were related.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2021 11:00

Just to elaborate, I believe @svdgabriel was having throttling issues after.

@Kevo21 you also inquired about this, any luck?

March 10th, 2021 19:00

@KuroAkuma80 

I was hoping you could help me. I got the stock 80mm rear exhaust fan swapped for a Noctua NF-A9 92mm. Connected that to the "FAN SYS" spot in the mobo. 

I needed help with the NH-D9L (some suggested the NH-U9S but i chose the NH-D9L per your comments). The heatsink/fan combo (fan in the middle of the two towers) is arranged in a way where the air can go up or down (up as in the direction to top of the pc; down as in downward toward the GPU) but not front to back which may be possible with the NH-U9S. Is this correct?

Like with the brackets the way they are (i followed all steps (mobo-black spacers-Noctua metal bracket/mount-m3 spacer-16mm m3 screw down through mobo).....before you put the whole cpu/heatsink down....the airflow is pointed either up or down. Can you explain this a bit? Is this what you have?

Many thanks. 

March 10th, 2021 20:00

@Tarak Abu Adam 

hey bro, hope you can help a bit more.

So far (what I've done):

-moved HDD to top, made space in the front by removing that whole HDD enclosure

-Swapped out rear 80mm stock exhaust fan and replaced it with Noctua NF-A9 92mm AND connected it to "FAN SYS" where the stock one was connected

-Swapped the stock trash cpu cooler for the NH-D9L. Orientated it so air going to back of case (towards exhaust) and connected it to "FAN CPU" where original stock CPU cooler was installed.

Can you explain a bit more about the NA-FC1 and how you used it? I bought it but am not sure what exactly to do with it. I am still very basic so if you could explain it to me like I am a kid (haha), that would be much appreciated. 

**Now this is extra info about what I was thinking of doing (please just tell me if I am right or wrong). From this thread, I learned that BIOS will throw out errors fans are not directly connected to "FAN SYS" and "FAN CPU" on the mobo. I was thinking of adding an intake fan in the front (in addition to all I have done so far). But since there is nowhere on mobo to connect directly (unless you use the Y cable/splitter), I looked into the NA-FC1 per your recommendation. Now I was worried that connecting two fans to the Y splitter cable and connecting that cable to the mobo would cause problems as it is drawing more power (idk if that is the word). So I was planning on using the NA-FC1 and connect that to a SATA power cable so I can max out the RPM of at least two fans (probably like front intake AND the fan thats with the NH-D9L CPU cooler/heat sink.

Many thanks to you my brother. Please let me know. 

No Events found!